5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tazer has voided my warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
FWIW, my truck was just at dealer for service due to battery dying and not taking a charge from my battery charger in my garage. Tazer was installed, and nothing was said about it.
That is because they did not do an ECU scan. If they tried, you may have gotten screwed too!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some dealerships understand these things, others are complete aholes. The fine print of these devices say to remove or unmarry before service, even something simple like speedometer recalibration

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Some dealerships understand these things, others are complete aholes. The fine print of these devices say to remove or unmarry before service, even something simple like speedometer recalibration

I was just thinking about the speedo. I used the rc speedo module and will need to change it if I take it in. Does anyone know if the same applies if you take it to get the oil changed at a competing dealership. Let’s say a Chevy dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the speedo. I used the rc speedo module and will need to change it if I take it in. Does anyone know if the same applies if you take it to get the oil changed at a competing dealership. Let’s say a Chevy dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt a Chevy dealer will scan your ECU and they don't care. As far as they're concerned, you just need an oil change. You should be 100% fine!

Snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Locked VIN means no more warranty.

No. They said the ecu showed it was ping-ed from some tuner and that the security gateway module had been bypassed.
I never took it out before and never had issues.
They are telling me that I need a new valve body on my second transmission. 3rd valve body.
I’m a little late to this party but was the issue with the transmission valve body or something like that? You said 3rd one which depending on the timeframe that is a lemon. My mother had a 2017 Jeep GC that had to have the valve body in the transmission replaced 3 times in less than 6 months. The dealer ended up buying back because they didn’t want the lemon hit on their record. Seems to be an issue with Fiat-Chrysler products.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
The gist is I could have possibly avoided this hassle by not leaving my Tazer plugged in. I’ve left it in before at dealer visits and never had issues. I don’t use the Tazer live features and only really bought it for tire size recalibration and turning on fog lights with high beams. For me it was a set it and forget it, and I didn’t think about it being tucked under my dash. Lesson learned.
Magnusson-Moss warranty act places the burden on the MFG to prove that my mods created the problem. Ram says I have a Tune, but I don’t.
My truck had these driveline issues, and a replaced valve body and transmission, before I installed a Tazer. Ram has two or three times flashed my Tcm and had it on a black box and found no problems. I have removed/unmarried the Tazer and I am still experiencing the same issues in completely stock form. I don’t think Ram is in the right, but after months of trying to diagnose the true problem, they took the easy way out. The dealer techs didn’t freeze the vin, it was a Ram tech from what I was told by my SA.
I love my truck and really don’t want another truck. It’s true that resale values are high but so are new truck prices. Most dealers in my region are over MSRP right now and have no inventory.
I am considering a Power Wagon but I’ve got sales tax to consider and im getting a bad feeling about FCA. A trouble free truck is what I dream of.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Magnusson-Moss warranty act places the burden on the MFG to prove that my mods created the problem. Ram says I have a Tune, but I don’t.
My truck had these driveline issues, and a replaced valve body and transmission, before I installed a Tazer. Ram has two or three times flashed my Tcm and had it on a black box and found no problems. I have removed/unmarried the Tazer and I am still experiencing the same issues in completely stock form. I don’t think Ram is in the right, but after months of trying to diagnose the true problem, they took the easy way out. The dealer techs didn’t freeze the vin, it was a Ram tech from what I was told by my SA.
Your personal legal fees would make this a non-starter...that's the real issue.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have to deal with personal legal fees. If they don't fix it, you proceed to file a lemon law claim and they have to prove you caused the problem. Not the computer says X. but customer did X which resulted in Y which directly caused condition Z which caused a failure. Plugging in a device that lets you play with the lights doesn't make the transmission fail.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
What are the symptoms of the bad valve body? Just curious what is going on that you are on the 3rd?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The gist is I could have possibly avoided this hassle by not leaving my Tazer plugged in. I’ve left it in before at dealer visits and never had issues. I don’t use the Tazer live features and only really bought it for tire size recalibration and turning on fog lights with high beams. For me it was a set it and forget it, and I didn’t think about it being tucked under my dash. Lesson learned.
I love my truck and really don’t want another truck. It’s true that resale values are high but so are new truck prices. Most dealers in my region are over MSRP right now and have no inventory.
I am considering a Power Wagon but I’ve got sales tax to consider and im getting a bad feeling about FCA. A trouble free truck is what I dream of.

Order a truck from one of many dealers nationwide that are still doing real discounts and sell the pig.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You don't have to deal with personal legal fees. If they don't fix it, you proceed to file a lemon law claim and they have to prove you caused the problem. Not the computer says X. but customer did X which resulted in Y which directly caused condition Z which caused a failure. Plugging in a device that lets you play with the lights doesn't make the transmission fail.
Lemon Laws vary by State. He may no longer be eligible or meet the required guidelines. Even if he was eligible, once RAM determines he "screwed" with the ECU...he's screwed and a Lemon Law will not help him! It is like fighting the Federal Government...better off just to trade it in for a new truck if he can.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lemon Laws vary by State. He may no longer be eligible or meet the required guidelines. Even if he was eligible, once RAM determines he "screwed" with the ECU...he's screwed and a Lemon Law will not help him! It is like fighting the Federal Government...better off just to trade it in for a new truck if he can.
Problem is the Tazer does not "screw with" the ECU. It allows you to make changes in the BCM, which is a separate computer from the ECU.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Problem is the Tazer does not "screw with" the ECU. It allows you to make changes in the BCM, which is a separate computer from the ECU.
That may not be entirely true...especially if his dealer saw that his ECU was impacted as he stated earlier in this post. Do we really know what the TAZER does and doesn't do??? You are making an assumption solely based on its functionality. However, there could be more going on in the background than we know and what TAZER has shared ;)

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That may not be entirely true...especially if his dealer saw that his ECU was impacted as he stated earlier in this post. Do we really know what the TAZER does and doesn't do??? You are making an assumption solely based on its functionality. However, there could be more going on in the background than we know and what TAZER has shared ;)
The Tazer doesn't do anything to the PCM, it's all BCM changes. I think they locked it because they saw that the SGW was bypassed and they don't know if anything else was done to it. I'm curious if the code in the PCM was set, I think its a P1500 or something that gets tripped when a PCM gets unlocked.
I would push back a little and ask for more proof that it was the tazer that caused the issue. Even if they can't, I've heard its almost an act of god to get a warranty put back into place.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Tazer doesn't do anything to the PCM, it's all BCM changes. I think they locked it because they saw that the SGW was bypassed and they don't know if anything else was done to it. I'm curious if the code in the PCM was set, I think its a P1500 or something that gets tripped when a PCM gets unlocked.
I would push back a little and ask for more proof that it was the tazer that caused the issue. Even if they can't, I've heard its almost an act of god to get a warranty put back into place.
Non-starter. Maybe it was the bypassing of the SGW and not a "ping" to the ECU as he was told. However, in the end, it's a dead issue. Not to beat a dead horse, or put salt on a wound, but as others have said, you need to be diligent in removing these types of accessories BEFORE going in for service...even an oil change!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Non-starter. Maybe it was the bypassing of the SGW and not a "ping" to the ECU as he was told. However, in the end, it's a dead issue. Not to beat a dead horse, or put salt on a wound, but as others have said, you need to be diligent in removing these types of accessories BEFORE going in for service...even an oil change!
100% agree on removing those things prior to going in, they're known to look for any reason to void a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread