5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tazer has voided my warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I just got a call from the service advisor that said my truck now has a locked VIN due to my Tazer DT.
Anyone else have this problem? In now have a broken truck and no warranty. Not pleased.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got a call from the service advisor that said my truck now has a locked VIN due to my Tazer DT.
Anyone else have this problem? In now have a broken truck and no warranty. Not pleased.
What is a locked VIN? The VIN is the VIN and cannot be altered. Did you not UNMARRY it and uninstall it before taking it in for service???

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Locked VIN means no more warranty.

No. They said the ecu showed it was ping-ed from some tuner and that the security gateway module had been bypassed.
I never took it out before and never had issues.
They are telling me that I need a new valve body on my second transmission. 3rd valve body.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Locked VIN means no more warranty.

No. They said the ecu showed it was ping-ed from some tuner and that the security gateway module had been bypassed.
I never took it out before and never had issues.
They are telling me that I need a new valve body on my second transmission. 3rd valve body.
I would contact TAZER as the unit is not supposed to leave any trace. Yours may have shown up because you did not remove it and the SGW module was bypassed. Most all RAM dealers run a quick OBD scan when taking it in for service and this would have clearly showed up. I believe that if you would have just uninstalled it and reconnected the OEM SGW module, you would have been fine. I am sure TAZER will tell you the same. Sorry to hear that you're now out of pocket for the repairs.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They need to prove that the Tazer is the cause of the problem, though that maybe easier said than done when dealing with dealership service departments and the red tape they are likely to throw your way.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They need to prove that the Tazer is the cause of the problem, though that maybe easier said than done when dealing with dealership service departments and the red tape they are likely to throw your way.
I would say they have a solid case if the ECU is showing it had a "tune" or the SGW module was bypassed even though a TAZER will not tune. No one has the money to hire a lawyer and fight it and manufacturers know that.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would say they have a solid case if the ECU is showing it had a "tune" or the SGW module was bypassed even though a TAZER will not tune. No one has the money to hire a lawyer and fight it and manufacturers know that.

So if a Tazer will not tune, doesn't that mean it wasn't the cause of it? If I was him, I would like to see an actual validation of what the diagnostics are saying.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So if a Tazer will not tune, doesn't that mean it wasn't the cause of it? If I was him, I would like to see an actual validation of what the diagnostics are saying.
No...but it does mean the ECU was "tampered" with and that's all it will take to void warranty. That is why you take all of this $hit out before going in for service.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assume your the original owner of this truck right or did you get it used ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Original owner. They are still going to repair my navigation unit that is on back order. Go figure.

This truck has been an absolute lemon. First new truck I’ve ever bought. This is just the last straw that is pushing me to move on. Too bad since I don’t like the other trucks on the market.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Original owner. They are still going to repair my navigation unit that is on back order. Go figure.

This truck has been an absolute lemon. First new truck I’ve ever bought. This is just the last straw that is pushing me to move on. Too bad since I don’t like the other trucks on the market.
They are fixing the radio because that has zero to do with the power train. Sorry to hear you have had issues with your truck...most all are very happy, but as we all know, all manufacturers have their issues regardless.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Once the VIN is locked and in FCAs system, every dealer in the country will see it. Non-starter.
I would fight I, unless they found the Tazer and documented that it was installed. The PCM saying the SGW module was bypassed, without them proving what caused it should be contested.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, my truck was just at dealer for service due to battery dying and not taking a charge from my battery charger in my garage. Tazer was installed, and nothing was said about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread