5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Reaction score
Everything installed and running good. OPT7 sidekick running board lights and triple led light bar.

Only questions I have,

Are the white cab lights suppose to shut off right away when you close door, or are they suppose to stay until delay is done? Something I didnt notice happened until I did my side steps which are wired into the factory installed bed lights (red wire) I didnt use the white/tan wire from upper cab light. In turn this enables me to run with the white lights with the bed light switch (bed lights don't turn off when in drive, only upper lights.

My turn signal lights for the sidesteps are wired into the rear taillights. When white lights are on, it pulses IF turn signals are only and fine if they are not on. Is this a current draw issue or just the way the lights are internally regulated with the electric chip boards? I've contact OPT7 in the meantime.

Anyhow on to the video. Love them and love the better camera view at night with the backup light. I just hope they last.

Music for a more enjoyable experience instead of my voice giving directions to my Dad on what lights to run lol.

timtlu

Reaction score
Installed the triple redline with Curt 5 way harness today much like the previous account. I'll add a few small details. Used gardening shears to cut through plastic housing on extra provided pigtail from the lightbar to isolate the extra bullet. Wire nutted that wire end to the white wire on the lightbar and plugged into the last opening on the connector. Worked perfectly. Actual install time was probably about half an hour. Measuring and remeasuring screws placement took as long if not longer, but I was pretty ocd. Glad I took the time though. I ran a thin piece of metal across the top of the bumper to lightly score a guideline across the black plastic for clip placement. The clearance can't be more than a few millimeters. Aligned lip of bar itself just below bumper edge with bottom of lowest row of LEDs flush to top of bumper. #4 1 inch screws. 1/2" by 3/8 diameter nylon spacers for the middle clips, 1/4" by 3/8 diameter nylon spacers on the outside clips. Here's a few pictures.

Oh, and I LOVE IT!

Last edited:

BlckDT

Reaction score
Installed the triple redline with Curt 5 way harness today much like the previous account. I'll add a few small details. Used gardening shears to cut through plastic housing on extra provided pigtail from the lightbar to isolate the extra bullet. Wire nutted that wire end to the white wire on the lightbar and plugged into the lay opening on the connector. Worked perfectly. Actual install time was probably about half an hour. Measuring and remeasuring screws placement took as long if not longer, but I was pretty ocd. Glad I took the time though. I ran a thin piece of metal across the top of the bumper to lightly score a guideline across the black plastic for clip placement. The clearance can't be more than a few millimeters. Aligned lip of bar itself just below bumper edge with bottom of lowest row of LEDs flush to top of bumper. #4 1 inch screws. 1/2" by 3/8 diameter nylon spacers for the middle clips, 1/4" by 3/8 diameter nylon spacers on the outside clips. Here's a few pictures

Oh, and I LOVE IT!

Do you have the tail lamp delays or did you wire directly to the left/right?

timtlu

Reaction score
Did not hard wire so I have a one blink delay on turn signals and hazards. Thought it would bother me, but haven't thought once about it since installing. Here's a close up of the install for orientation/spacing on bumper if anyone is needing.
20190902_095207.jpg

Last edited:

timtlu

Reaction score
One other thing. The are two disconnects (push tab in and pull from housing for each) for the tailgate underneath the bumper. Detaching those will let you take the tailgate module off (goes where the empty black rectangle above the WV emblem is). From that point, tailgate open at 45 degree angle allows the right side to slide up and off. Once off, the tailgate is pulled directly towards passenger side to remove the left side. Opposite order to put back on. However, know that once you disconnect the wires under the bumper you cannot unlock the tailgate, so plan accordingly. Found that out the hard way. Twice, lol.

dakmary

Reaction score
Super abbreviated install here with a few pics ( all attached )

I went with the OPT7 Triple light bar. You need to mount it just above the bumper or the tailgate will hit it when it opens. You also need to use the metal brackets and spacers ( I used stainless washers form home depot ) to attach it in order to clear the wiring for the tailgate and camera. If you don't have that wiring harness then you wouldn't need to do that.

I used the Curt 5 way harness to attach the light to the towing harness. Curt part # 56584.

I then used a hopkins 5 way connector kit to make my own harness to the light bar. IMG_154

I used both ends of the connector kit and connected them together. IMG_150

I used a male bullet connector and connected it to the white wire from the LED bar for the reverse lights. IMG_157

I can use then that bullet connector to connect to the harness I made using the trailer connector kit. You can get the idea from IMG_147

With all of that said I took one end of the connector, attached it to the light bar connector, attached the bullet connector and taped it all together. IMG_158

Then you simply have to use the other end of the harness to plug into the curt connector. All Done. I know you can do this A LOT simpler but I wanted a way to simply disconnect form the curt harness and take the light bar off if needed. This way nothing is spliced into the truck or connector and I can easily remove it if needed.

No issue with blis, backup sensors or anything else. I will take a video later on and post to youtube. I will add the link to this thread when I get around to that later. Feel free to ask any questions. I know this may not be that clear. Hopefully the attached pics help.

@MachineX @stmrm01

Now this is a clean install :cool:

Reaction score
Do you have the tail lamp delays or did you wire directly to the left/right?

I think that is impossible no matter how you wire it, then light itself is wired into a 4pin connector plus white wire. You have ground, running lights, right turn/brake and left turn/brake and then the reverse. Then technically would need 6 wires- ground, running lights, left turn, right turn, brakes and reverse. I don't even think you could split the wire into a Y for turn signals and brakes. It's just the way the light is wired same as all these lights.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I just dont think it's possible. Plus the added delay I think adds to safety as your factory brakes and turn signals come on and then the light bar after, drawing more attention. It says "hey I'm stopping or turning"

Plus your in the driver's seat and dont see it lol.

dakmary

Reaction score
I've had my OPT7 for 2 weeks now, but haven't installed it, cuz I'm waiting for a way to install it with no delay. Some ppl say even hardwiring won't solve the delay issue. Anyone hardwired the light bar? Is there a delay?

timtlu

Reaction score
I've had my OPT7 for 2 weeks now, but haven't installed it, cuz I'm waiting for a way to install it with no delay. Some ppl say even hardwiring won't solve the delay issue. Anyone hardwired the light bar? Is there a delay?

I'll take a one blink delay over a two week delay any time ;)

Im telling you, just pull the trigger and put it on. You wil be happy with it.

Reaction score
I'll take a one blink delay over a two week delay any time ;)

Im telling you, just pull the trigger and put it on. You wil be happy with it.

Plus, as I have posted I don't think it's even possible to not have the delay. The light is wired as a 4 wire setup, going to the lights will not change the fact the there is only 1 wire for the share left single/brake and 1 wire for the right single/brakes.

I mean try to split that wire into a Y and run 1 wire to the each signal wire and stop lights. I don't think it will work in anyway but if the delay bothers you all you can do is try. As the 4 wires are wired internally in the light to act a certain way. I don't think there is a way around it, there is a delay in the other company light bar too as others have said. So both OPT7 and Putco have the delay from what I've been reading.

I'm not electronic whiz by any means, so maybe someone can figure out a way and prove me wrong. In the meantime I'm with timtlu, I'm happy with mine and I dont see the delay when in driver seat.

I also think it serves as an unintentional safety feature to the vehicles behind you. Like "hey you didn't notice my signals or brakes right away that's ok cause in 1 second you'll get another chance to see my brake lights come on"

To each their own, I love mine!!!!

dakmary

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm convinced now. I'll just wait for the weather to get better then install it. It's +120F over here in Saudi Arabia! I think the adhesive and plastic will melt

Probably I'll install it in October

brawler1588

Reaction score
Got my triple mounted today thank you grinch with the back and forth messages to help me. I will get a video up later to show the great function. I might not need aux backup lights now. I used the #4 1" screws and used the 4 stock clips with 1/4" spacers. I mounted 2 clips on both sides of the plastic cover for the tailgate wiring and the other 2 just next to the plastic humps on the strip.

155bd33e3ee661e2df36c76d133d4008.jpg
79f916f3c17160b9012e6bdbe755d452.jpg
6bb41ea333ca3cb9f2088fc58059ff33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got my triple mounted today thank you grinch with the back and forth messages to help me. I will get a video up later to show the great function. I might not need aux backup lights now. I used the #4 1" screws and used the 4 stock clips with 1/4" spacers. I mounted 2 clips on both sides of the plastic cover for the tailgate wiring and the other 2 just next to the plastic humps on the strip.

155bd33e3ee661e2df36c76d133d4008.jpg
79f916f3c17160b9012e6bdbe755d452.jpg
6bb41ea333ca3cb9f2088fc58059ff33.jpg

Might be just the picture but it looks a little low in the center.

brawler1588

Reaction score
I was thinking that but I will see tonight in the dark it was as high as I could go without needing larger spacers.

brawler1588

Reaction score
I think it will be ok here is a night shot.

JRD

Reaction score
I think it will be ok here is a night shot.

Does it help with backing up in the dark? The lights seem pretty bright so I’m assuming it must light up the ground pretty well?

brawler1588

Reaction score
It definitely helps I also have led reverse lights but I still might add a baja designs s2 backup kit and really get light back there.

Reactions: JRD

Users who are viewing this thread