5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting the tailgate triple bar and the running board light bar (non-seqential signals) both from OPT7.

Upon inspection it looks like I might not have the room for the tailgate bar. I know people said its tight but the gap looks very narrow between the plastic and the tailgate and also the tailgate doesnt side much higher then the bumper. Not sure if its because mine is a sports model and the bumper might sit higher. Like the cable for the camera looks like it would be in the way even with spacers. I just look at it and it seems like it might not work.

Anyone who has installed this can you check out my pictured and see if you can tell if I have roughly the same space or not. I'd hate to order and it not work especially since I'm in Canada and would be paying more for the bar/shipping and duties as I can't find them locally.

Worst case I guess I'd just have to get a regular stick on single light bar from OPT7 but I want the reverse lights to help the camera at night. Plus it looks badass.

Anyhow any insight would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20190814_135155.jpg
    20190814_135155.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 320
  • 20190814_135152.jpg
    20190814_135152.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 20190814_135135.jpg
    20190814_135135.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 20190814_135127.jpg
    20190814_135127.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 20190814_135109.jpg
    20190814_135109.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 20190814_135059.jpg
    20190814_135059.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 20190814_135054.jpg
    20190814_135054.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 286

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check my thread out. Post #25 I have the 48 inch version not the 60 inch.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I decided to just go ahead and order both the running board lights and triple led tailgate bar. Cheaper shipping both rather then separately. Anyhow my plan is to purchase the Curt 7pin to 5pin, this way I can wiring the reverse wire to to a quick connector. Just got the pin off the spear 4 pin connector that comes with the lights for hardwire.

Here is my question. I orginally planned to run the running light bars white lights to the wire in the driver door sill for the bed light. The turn signal wires I was going to pull off the 7way plug harness. So I have 1 for sure option, run both the white and turn signal wires from the running board lights to my curt harness and tie them in. This way no cutting any factory wiring. Everything will be coming from the pkug in y harness from curt.

Second option so I dont have to run wire all the front the back of the cab to the rear bumper. I can wire the white light wire to my truck bedlight that is in the door sill. Does anyone know if the turn signal wires run through the door sill as well? If so it would make white really easy.

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but ill ask anyway. So I have the triple tailgate bar on the way. I'm sure it will make more sense when I get it but wanted to clarify he install.

I know how the wiring will go. I'm going to order the curt 5 pin connector and cut off the extra connector pin from the hardwire kit that comes with the light. This was no wire cutting or splicing into the factory harmess.

I understand the spacers are to clear the camera acesss cover. 1/2" outside and 5/8" inside roughly for the 4 clips. I also know the bottom LEDs need to be lined up with the tip of the bumper. What to want to know is, how you know where exactly to place the metal clips on the plastic panel? Like where to put the screw, how do you measure it so it ends up in the correct spot. I want to above putting them to high and then have the light bar sit tonight. Do the bottom of the clip light up with the top of the bumper too?

I'm sure it will make sense when I get it. It sounds like a tedious job due the space constraints and uneven surfaces.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I used these on mine so it was easy to install. Took me longer to get the damn plug out to hook up the Curt adapter.

Reaction score
I used these on mine so it was easy to install. Took me longer to get the damn plug out to hook up the Curt adapter.

I thought you had the single strip OPT7, or do you have the triple?

Also I'm assuming that the spacers are to clear the access for the camera wiring. How did that work with thos cable tie mounts?

The triple isnt flexible from my understanding it's a rigid bar.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I thought you had the single strip OPT7, or do you have the triple?

Also I'm assuming that the spacers are to clear the access for the camera wiring. How did that work with thos cable tie mounts?

The triple isnt flexible from my understanding it's a rigid bar.

Yes I have the triple but it's only the 48 inch one. It works perfectly with the cable tie mounts.

Go up to post 223 and look at my thread it has pictures of my bar mounted.

Reaction score
Yes I have the triple but it's only the 48 inch one. It works perfectly with the cable tie mounts.

Ok thanks.

Do you think I'll have a problem with the 60" bar?

I guess it's too late as it is on the way already.

Reaction score

Do you have specific pictures of how you used the cable ties? How did deal with the camera wire and access cover.
Maybe the 60" needs the 1/2 & 5/8 due to the 3xtra 12" l length and plastic panel being the way it is

Reaction score
I'm sure it will all be easy to do once I get the lights in my hand. Just trying to pre-prep if I can so I dont need to think as much how to do it I can just dive in with what I need.

On a side note, I order the running board lights as well from them. Now I'm going to run the white lights into one of those rubber grommets and tie that into the work light wire (white w/ tan tracer if I remember correctly). Does anyone know if the turn signal wires run inside as well in the same harness area? I know I can run them to the back and wire into the curt harness (which I will be ordering 2 prong connectors to make the connection) but if I can run the turn signals into the door sill and wire there it will just shorten up install time and materials as I wouldn't need to run wires to the back of the truck. If I have to it's not a huge deal. One extra wire and wire loom to make a clean install.

Reaction score
Maybe straight forward when I have the product but I'll ask anyway.

So you have decided where you need to have the light bar mounted (opt7 triple). It clears the tailgate and everything. How do you know where the brackets need to go exactly for the drill hole? Cause if you have your brackets and spacers installed on the light to figure out spacing. How do you mark the center of the hole of the bracket and spacers and still make sure it's in the same spot it needs to be? I can wrap my head around this. How did you test fit without installing and opening the gate to see if eveyrthing clears.

My only thoughts are double sided tape so when you put the bracket against the plastic with the light bar. Hopefully the spacer and bracket stay on the plastic while unclipping the light and then drill or use some white out or something on the spacer when you press it on the plastic to make your spots for the brackets.

Just trying to prep. Sorry for all the questions. They are probably pointless once I get the bar I suppose it might all come to me then.

Just if you test fit and the brackets are attached to the light bar. You cant also mark the mounting hole as I assume the light covers this.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe straight forward when I have the product but I'll ask anyway.

So you have decided where you need to have the light bar mounted (opt7 triple). It clears the tailgate and everything. How do you know where the brackets need to go exactly for the drill hole? Cause if you have your brackets and spacers installed on the light to figure out spacing. How do you mark the center of the hole of the bracket and spacers and still make sure it's in the same spot it needs to be? I can wrap my head around this. How did you test fit without installing and opening the gate to see if eveyrthing clears.

My only thoughts are double sided tape so when you put the bracket against the plastic with the light bar. Hopefully the spacer and bracket stay on the plastic while unclipping the light and then drill or use some white out or something on the spacer when you press it on the plastic to make your spots for the brackets.

Just trying to prep. Sorry for all the questions. They are probably pointless once I get the bar I suppose it might all come to me then.

Just if you test fit and the brackets are attached to the light bar. You cant also mark the mounting hole as I assume the light covers this.
Interested in this too because I am going to be ordering this soon.

Also, I feel like I've read theres a delay on the light bar compared to the tail lights. Is this true?

Reaction score
Interested in this too because I am going to be ordering this soon.

Also, I feel like I've read theres a delay on the light bar compared to the tail lights. Is this true?
Yes there is, look back in the thread there are videos of them operating. The delay is 1 blink away from the factory lights. Due to the way they are wired on a 4 wire system the signals share the brake light wires.

I dont care about the delay, my main reason for this is to have a brighter backup light to help get a better picture from the camera. I love the features of a bright brake light and flashing sequential turn signals as well they increase visibility. I sit in traffic and people are idiots, so this helps make them more aware or so I hope.

In any case the delay doesnt bother me because well I for the most part will not see delay at I'd be driving and not behind my own truck. So I'd forget about the delay pretty quick.

Reaction score

How did these work? Everyone used 1/2" and 1/4" spacers to clear the camera acess cover. This wouldn't matter on length of bar since this cover is near the center. Plus the gap difference from the middle and outsides. With you smaller bar maybe that isn't an issue. I'm interested in how you had them work to prevent from screwing into the plastic panel and just sticking those on I do that

Any pictures of the being used? Your post in 25 doesn't show this.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
How did these work? Everyone used 1/2" and 1/4" spacers to clear the camera acess cover. This wouldn't matter on length of bar since this cover is near the center. Plus the gap difference from the middle and outsides. With you smaller bar maybe that isn't an issue. I'm interested in how you had them work to prevent from screwing into the plastic panel and just sticking those on I do that

Any pictures of the being used? Your post in 25 doesn't show this.

They worked great, they have a adhesive on one side so you get your light all lined up and the adhesive keeps it in place then all I did was put a screw threw the plastic to keep it there. I didn't use any spacers as the 48 inch bar is shorter and it doesn't have to curve that little bit as the 60 inch one does. At first I just used the clips that came with the bar but didn't really think they were secure enough so I used small wire ties.(I will get a pic of them this week). I only have 2 mounted close to the outside(say 6 inches) from the bar ends.

badger47

Reaction score
After lurking through this topic I tried to take something from the most successful installs and use for my vehicle a 1500 Laramie crew cab 4x4. Ordered a Curt 56584 adapter and an OPT7 60" Redline LED Tailgate Lightbar Tri-Core LED from Amazon. A package of 1 inch #4 self tapping stainless screws and 6 1/4 inch plastic spacers went for mounting. The lack of space under the tailgate is scary and kudos to those who have said here that they installed without removing the tailgate - special tools, really small hands, something I obviously don't have must be in play - I could find no room to work and get the mounting clips set low enough so the bottom edge of the open tailgate cleared. This OPT7 model comes with an adhesive strip on the back. The strip makes the bar "thicker". I scraped the adhesive strip off, marked the open tailgate bottom edge on the black plastic with orange marker, removed the tailgate, positioned each mounting clip (you get 4 with the bar) so the top was 1 mm below the orange mark, drilled a small guide hole where the mounting hole in the clip was, installed end clips about 2 inches towards center from where the plastic mount surface curves inward with 1/4 spacers, center clips are equidistant from the tailgate/camera wire harness egress on either side and mounted with 2 1/4 inch spacers to clear the wiring. Bar snapped securely into place, installed tailgate, wired up (white wire from bar goes into extra (5th) slot on Curt (green wire). Everything works great no weird responses from backup camera, sensors, or any part of electrical system. The tailgate just clears the bar. Everything removes easily if necessary for repairs. No intrusion of OEM wiring.

BlckDT

Reaction score
After lurking through this topic I tried to take something from the most successful installs and use for my vehicle a 1500 Laramie crew cab 4x4. Ordered a Curt 56584 adapter and an OPT7 60" Redline LED Tailgate Lightbar Tri-Core LED from Amazon.

any pics would be great to see it lit up. Do you get the turn signal delay?

Reaction score
I want to hook up my sidestep lights as well. My orginal plan was to wite them into the tailgate light bar but the side steps can't make the same decision on if your using the turn signals or brake lights. So I'm assuming I'll have to write those into the taillights directly. So much for trying to limited tiring directly into the factory wiring. The curt 5 line harness still haves alot of splicing with the tailgate light.

Anyhow question regarding side step white entry light. I know some people say you can wire into the bed worl light, only issue I see is everytime I open my tailgate those running board lights will come on. I'd like to wire into the puddle lights, does anyone know what colour that wire is? I will have to remove the panel so access where they come in from the door to truck. But to save me from probing many wires anyone by chance know the color for that.

Users who are viewing this thread