5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway Bar Link Pins/Bushing upgrade for 2019-2022 Ram 1500

Ready Go

Reaction score
Just replaced my front bushings after hearing the clunking noise after awhile. Definitely don't hear it anymore but I believe my rear ones need to be replaced.
Anyone know if the rear stabilizer bar bushings are the same 36mm as the front? I tried looking online but can't seem to find out.
OEM rear sway bar is 22mm.

TML4Ever

Reaction score
Not long after purchasing my 2019 Ram Rebel I started hearing a rattle coming from my front suspension. I visited the forum sites and Facebook groups to find that there were a few others with similar stories. I saw quite a few who pointed to the sway bar link pins. So I started there first and found that there are no aftermarket companies who make an improved design, specifically for the 1500s, over the ever-failing stock design. While researching, a member from this forum pointed out a possible solution from a company who had a different design that used heim joints. The issue with those is they were designed for a Ram 2500/3500 and not a 1500. The difference in length between the sway bar links of a 1500 and a 2500/3500 is about 2 1/2” with the 1500 links being longer. At $175 for a set that was unverified to fit, it was a hard no for me but I found another company on eBay who pretty much had the same product, but only $95 for a set. Much better deal!! So I purchased them. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126057

The company says that these are adjustable 0” to a 6” lift. With a few changes to some of the parts, I got these to fit the 1500 perfectly. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126058

Couple notes to get it right:

1. The bottom supplied 1 1/4” carriage bolt needs to be replace with a 2” carriage bolt. This is the bolt that attaches the bracket to the lower control arm.

2. Add 1/2” washers to be used as spacers when assembling the bottom bracket, bolt, heim joint, and 2 cone spacers.

3. Do not use the supplied top bolt assembly and replace with a 4” 1/2x13 grade 8 bolt with lock nut. This will be the bolt that will connect the top heim joint to the sway bar. When looking at pic #2, you’ll see that I used a bunch (20) washers as a spacer between the upper heim joint and the sway bar. Yes you could use a 1 1/2” spacer, but the washers are quite a bit cheaper to use.

4. You will need a total of (8) 1/2” steel cone spacers. Only (6) come in the kit. Therefore, you will need to purchase/order (2) more. I got them off of eBay. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126059

5. When tightening the heim joints to the hexagonal rod connector, align them perpendicular to eachother.

6. When searching for this kit on eBay, search for “03-08 Ram 1500 2500 3500 4WD Inc. Mega Cab Sway Bar End Link For 0-6" Lift Kit”. (I’m not supplying the seller’s info as they have not paid me to do so AND no I’m not the seller 😂)

After putting these on, guess what!?! I still had the rattle! So the write up above is for those who have bad sway bar links! You’re welcome! I still have these installed and have over 1,000 miles on them with no issues.

Obviously my hunt to fix that damn rattle was still on!! So I crawled under the truck and just grabbed onto and shook the **** out of the sway bar…mostly out of frustration…and…it rattled! Turns out after only being 3 years old, the rubber sway bar bushings were worn out and was the source of my rattle. With the issues finally found, I didn’t want to just replace it with another rubber piece which I might have to replace in another 3 years so I searched for a polyurethane bushing. No luck with searching specifically for a 2019-2022 Ram 1500. So I measured the bar size, found it to be 36mm, and searched for 36mm polyurethane sway bar bushings. It took me 3 orders before finding the exact replacement. For replacing the old rubber bushings use Energy Suspension part 5.5160R. See the pic below for reference.

View attachment 126060

A couple of notes for replacing old bushing:

1. Be careful removing the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar bushing brackets. Even after only being 3 years old, I felt that if I had used an impact, I would have broke the bolt off in the frame. Use anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts.

2. The stock bushings are not split, therefore, they have to be cut off.

3. The new bushing do come split. Make sure the split goes towards the front.

4. Don’t forget to use the supplied grease for inside the bushing surface that meets the bar.

After installing…no more rattle!! Finally a quite Ram Rebel 1500!! I’m so freakin’ happy! 😆

If you read all of this, I hope you were entertained! But more importantly, I hope either one of these items fixes your clunk or rattle too!
Good morning. I lifted and upgraded my suspension on my 2022 and what a mistake. BDS 6" lift, Bilstein's and a new sway bar. Everything in the front end is now loose at 20,000 miles! So new control arms for a start (with greaseable, replaceable ball joints), still knocking. Dealer replaced sway bar links. Still knocking. turns out its these sway bar bushings you mention. I think the stock ones can't handle the extra stress. So I ordered a set from Amazon. Will update in a couple weeks. I went to a 3D printer / suspension place and he wanted $1000 to make a set of polyurethane bushings just like to found. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting for me with the research.

Bozknight55

Reaction score
Not long after purchasing my 2019 Ram Rebel I started hearing a rattle coming from my front suspension. I visited the forum sites and Facebook groups to find that there were a few others with similar stories. I saw quite a few who pointed to the sway bar link pins. So I started there first and found that there are no aftermarket companies who make an improved design, specifically for the 1500s, over the ever-failing stock design. While researching, a member from this forum pointed out a possible solution from a company who had a different design that used heim joints. The issue with those is they were designed for a Ram 2500/3500 and not a 1500. The difference in length between the sway bar links of a 1500 and a 2500/3500 is about 2 1/2” with the 1500 links being longer. At $175 for a set that was unverified to fit, it was a hard no for me but I found another company on eBay who pretty much had the same product, but only $95 for a set. Much better deal!! So I purchased them. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126057

The company says that these are adjustable 0” to a 6” lift. With a few changes to some of the parts, I got these to fit the 1500 perfectly. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126058

1. The bottom supplied 1 1/4” carriage bolt needs to be replace with a 2” carriage bolt. This is the bolt that attaches the bracket to the lower control arm.

2. Add 1/2” washers to be used as spacers when assembling the bottom bracket, bolt, heim joint, and 2 cone spacers.

3. Do not use the supplied top bolt assembly and replace with a 4” 1/2x13 grade 8 bolt with lock nut. This will be the bolt that will connect the top heim joint to the sway bar. When looking at pic #2, you’ll see that I used a bunch (20) washers as a spacer between the upper heim joint and the sway bar. Yes you could use a 1 1/2” spacer, but the washers are quite a bit cheaper to use.

4. You will need a total of (8) 1/2” steel cone spacers. Only (6) come in the kit. Therefore, you will need to purchase/order (2) more. I got them off of eBay. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126059

5. When tightening the heim joints to the hexagonal rod connector, align them perpendicular to eachother.

6. When searching for this kit on eBay, search for “03-08 Ram 1500 2500 3500 4WD Inc. Mega Cab Sway Bar End Link For 0-6" Lift Kit”. (I’m not supplying the seller’s info as they have not paid me to do so AND no I’m not the seller 😂)

After putting these on, guess what!?! I still had the rattle! So the write up above is for those who have bad sway bar links! You’re welcome! I still have these installed and have over 1,000 miles on them with no issues.

Obviously my hunt to fix that damn rattle was still on!! So I crawled under the truck and just grabbed onto and shook the **** out of the sway bar…mostly out of frustration…and…it rattled! Turns out after only being 3 years old, the rubber sway bar bushings were worn out and was the source of my rattle. With the issues finally found, I didn’t want to just replace it with another rubber piece which I might have to replace in another 3 years so I searched for a polyurethane bushing. No luck with searching specifically for a 2019-2022 Ram 1500. So I measured the bar size, found it to be 36mm, and searched for 36mm polyurethane sway bar bushings. It took me 3 orders before finding the exact replacement. For replacing the old rubber bushings use Energy Suspension part 5.5160R. See the pic below for reference.

View attachment 126060

1. Be careful removing the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar bushing brackets. Even after only being 3 years old, I felt that if I had used an impact, I would have broke the bolt off in the frame. Use anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts.

4. Don’t forget to use the supplied grease for inside the bushing surface that meets the bar.

After installing…no more rattle!! Finally a quite Ram Rebel 1500!! I’m so freakin’ happy! 😆

If you read all of this, I hope you were entertained! But more importantly, I hope either one of these items fixes your clunk or rattle too!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I have been chasing this sound for over a year. Thought it was bumper and molding rattling. It occurred over small uneven roads, fine over larger speed bumps and potholes.
I stumbled across this post as I was looking at my air suspension or sway bar links. Bought the parts from amazon, slid under the truck and 30 minutes later the truck is silent. You do understand how FREAKING HAPPY I am now. Again thank you so much.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
View attachment 126057

View attachment 126058

View attachment 126059

View attachment 126060

I am having the same problem. Found it to be the front swaybar bushings. The part number you list is for a 2002- 2005 ram 1500. The guy there says they don't have one for the 2019 ram.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Found it to be the front swaybar bushings. The part number you list is for a 2002- 2005 ram 1500. The guy there says they don't have one for the 2019 ram.
It's a 36mm sway bar, it'll work..It's what we're all using on our DTs. It comes in Black.."B" or Red..."R"

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How hard is the install. I have a set I need to put on as I have a sight clunk at times myself
Not hard at all I had to loosen the bolts that hold the bushings/sway bar to maneuver the bar up and down. I also loosened the links themselves to make the links a little easier to adjust as well.

I’m not sure how it is in other trim levels but the air suspension “bags” were a B to work around.

TTU14

Reaction score
I started getting a real bad clunking after I installed a level on my Rebel. The Suspensionmaxx end links fixed it for a couple of months, but then I developed a squeaking and then the clunking started to come come back too. Replaced the sway bar bushings today and that seems to have done the trick!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started getting a real bad clunking after I installed a level on my Rebel. The Suspensionmaxx end links fixed it for a couple of months, but then I developed a squeaking and then the clunking started to come come back too. Replaced the sway bar bushings today and that seems to have done the trick!
I’m getting a clunk after the end links as well ordered the bushings but haven’t had good enough weather to get under the truck and swap them out

mdschadler

Reaction score
View attachment 126057

View attachment 126058

View attachment 126059

View attachment 126060

Thank you!!! Like many others, I’ve been hunting this rattle for a long time and ran out of things to check or tighten. Puzzling that it seemed worse when cold… My bushings looked perfectly fine but sure enough, put these poly ones in and the rattle is gone. Seriously, thank you for tracking these down for us!

Jedi9

Reaction score
What about blue? $11 Moog which I think someone else mentioned

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moogs are fine. Thats what I went with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread