5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway Bar Link Pins/Bushing upgrade for 2019-2022 Ram 1500

JayBee2019

Reaction score
Not long after purchasing my 2019 Ram Rebel I started hearing a rattle coming from my front suspension. I visited the forum sites and Facebook groups to find that there were a few others with similar stories. I saw quite a few who pointed to the sway bar link pins. So I started there first and found that there are no aftermarket companies who make an improved design, specifically for the 1500s, over the ever-failing stock design. While researching, a member from this forum pointed out a possible solution from a company who had a different design that used heim joints. The issue with those is they were designed for a Ram 2500/3500 and not a 1500. The difference in length between the sway bar links of a 1500 and a 2500/3500 is about 2 1/2” with the 1500 links being longer. At $175 for a set that was unverified to fit, it was a hard no for me but I found another company on eBay who pretty much had the same product, but only $95 for a set. Much better deal!! So I purchased them. See the pic below for reference.
FFCFEC59-F03D-49E7-941A-2EF941C08034.jpeg

The company says that these are adjustable 0” to a 6” lift. With a few changes to some of the parts, I got these to fit the 1500 perfectly. See the pic below for reference.
47E62E2D-86D5-4CE9-9250-036548C5C712.jpeg

Couple notes to get it right:

1. The bottom supplied 1 1/4” carriage bolt needs to be replace with a 2” carriage bolt. This is the bolt that attaches the bracket to the lower control arm.

2. Add 1/2” washers to be used as spacers when assembling the bottom bracket, bolt, heim joint, and 2 cone spacers.

3. Do not use the supplied top bolt assembly and replace with a 4” 1/2x13 grade 8 bolt with lock nut. This will be the bolt that will connect the top heim joint to the sway bar. When looking at pic #2, you’ll see that I used a bunch (20) washers as a spacer between the upper heim joint and the sway bar. Yes you could use a 1 1/2” spacer, but the washers are quite a bit cheaper to use.

4. You will need a total of (8) 1/2” steel cone spacers. Only (6) come in the kit. Therefore, you will need to purchase/order (2) more. I got them off of eBay. See the pic below for reference.
98D0415A-2F49-40D4-992F-8F145ADADE9A.jpeg

5. When tightening the heim joints to the hexagonal rod connector, align them perpendicular to eachother.

6. When searching for this kit on eBay, search for “03-08 Ram 1500 2500 3500 4WD Inc. Mega Cab Sway Bar End Link For 0-6" Lift Kit”. (I’m not supplying the seller’s info as they have not paid me to do so AND no I’m not the seller 😂)

After putting these on, guess what!?! I still had the rattle! So the write up above is for those who have bad sway bar links! You’re welcome! I still have these installed and have over 1,000 miles on them with no issues.

Obviously my hunt to fix that damn rattle was still on!! So I crawled under the truck and just grabbed onto and shook the **** out of the sway bar…mostly out of frustration…and…it rattled! Turns out after only being 3 years old, the rubber sway bar bushings were worn out and was the source of my rattle. With the issues finally found, I didn’t want to just replace it with another rubber piece which I might have to replace in another 3 years so I searched for a polyurethane bushing. No luck with searching specifically for a 2019-2022 Ram 1500. So I measured the bar size, found it to be 36mm, and searched for 36mm polyurethane sway bar bushings. It took me 3 orders before finding the exact replacement. For replacing the old rubber bushings use Energy Suspension part 5.5160R. See the pic below for reference.

6B495F7A-A7EE-40F7-B437-038F93E5C52E.jpeg

A couple of notes for replacing old bushing:

1. Be careful removing the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar bushing brackets. Even after only being 3 years old, I felt that if I had used an impact, I would have broke the bolt off in the frame. Use anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts.

2. The stock bushings are not split, therefore, they have to be cut off.

3. The new bushing do come split. Make sure the split goes towards the front.

4. Don’t forget to use the supplied grease for inside the bushing surface that meets the bar.

After installing…no more rattle!! Finally a quite Ram Rebel 1500!! I’m so freakin’ happy! 😆

If you read all of this, I hope you were entertained! But more importantly, I hope either one of these items fixes your clunk or rattle too!

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great write up! Many folks are having front end clunking including myself. I will have to check my stabilizer bar bushings because my end links seemed fine when I removed them and checked them. My troubleshooting continues but thanks for all the info.

Kamper

Reaction score
Dang solid and well written post right there!! Thanks for this info - I know my shop guy tried to grab and shake stuff as well but maybe that alone in some instances isn't enuf to replicate.

I may have posted somewhere, but one of the online Mopar sites believes a new version may be incoming from Ram that would replace the current and much crappier links. Will see... it was speculation but they seemed to have a sense of what was happening w the national backorder situation and what they believe is coming.

JayBee2019

Reaction score
Suspension Maxx now has aftermarket end links for the 5th gens. I just ordered some 2 days ago.
Yeah I saw those too, although this is the first time I’ve seen them specifically for the DT Rams. I personally am not sure about that upper bushing as well as the longevity of it. Let us know how you like them and send updates. 🙂👍

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I saw those too, although this is the first time I’ve seen them specifically for the DT Rams. I personally am not sure about that upper bushing as well as the longevity of it. Let us know how you like them and send updates. 🙂👍
What do you see wrong with the upper bushing to question how long they will last?

JayBee2019

Reaction score
What do you see wrong with the upper bushing to question how long they will last?
Hey Jeffjad, I have to say that I’ve never actually had these in my hands so what I think I’m seeing IRT that design could be totally incorrect. But to me it appears that the part that attaches to the sway bar may have a tendency to slide along that upper bushing. i guess you’ll find out tho. I’m definitely interested in what your experience with these will be.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Jeffjad, I have to say that I’ve never actually had these in my hands so what I think I’m seeing IRT that design could be totally incorrect. But to me it appears that the part that attaches to the sway bar may have a tendency to slide along that upper bushing. i guess you’ll find out tho. I’m definitely interested in what your experience with these will be.
Gotcha, the picture is deceiving. That upper ring is ressessed pretty far inside the bushing itself to prevent this. Like you said, time will tell 🤷. I plan on putting them through their paces.

Suspension MAXX has been specializing in off-road products for awhile with great customer service and warranties which is why I didn't hesitate to jump on these.

Vulpes

Reaction score
So I measured the bar size, found it to be 36mm, and searched for 36mm polyurethane sway bar bushings. It took me 3 orders before finding the exact replacement. For replacing the old rubber bushings use Energy Suspension part 5.5160R. See the pic below for reference.
Thank you for doing all the research, this helped me quite a bit. My Rebel is lifted ~2.25" over stock height and after a couple months the front end started clunking at low speed over small bumps. Disconnected the front sway bar and the clunks went away, so off to all the links (pun!) provided. Thank you!

Last edited:

jcjohn

Reaction score
My '19 is doing the same thing. Are the helwig swaybars worth the cost if I'm taking it apart anyways?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My '19 is doing the same thing. Are the helwig swaybars worth the cost if I'm taking it apart anyways?
The rear is worth it. I don't think the front would be worth the cost, but there is another option out for front sway bar.

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
Did anyone else use the Energy Suspension bushings JayBee used? Interested as I have replaced the swaybar links but still have the clunking noise??

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did anyone else use the Energy Suspension bushings JayBee used? Interested as I have replaced the swaybar links but still have the clunking noise??

Sway bar bushings on my 2020 wore out in less than 2 years, I replaced them with prothane bushings and brackets and had the brackets bend within a couple months allowing the entire bushing to move around. Switched back to oem.

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
Sway bar bushings on my 2020 wore out in less than 2 years, I replaced them with prothane bushings and brackets and had the brackets bend within a couple months allowing the entire bushing to move around. Switched back to oem.
Did you use factory brackets with the prothane bushings??

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
Not long after purchasing my 2019 Ram Rebel I started hearing a rattle coming from my front suspension. I visited the forum sites and Facebook groups to find that there were a few others with similar stories. I saw quite a few who pointed to the sway bar link pins. So I started there first and found that there are no aftermarket companies who make an improved design, specifically for the 1500s, over the ever-failing stock design. While researching, a member from this forum pointed out a possible solution from a company who had a different design that used heim joints. The issue with those is they were designed for a Ram 2500/3500 and not a 1500. The difference in length between the sway bar links of a 1500 and a 2500/3500 is about 2 1/2” with the 1500 links being longer. At $175 for a set that was unverified to fit, it was a hard no for me but I found another company on eBay who pretty much had the same product, but only $95 for a set. Much better deal!! So I purchased them. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126057

The company says that these are adjustable 0” to a 6” lift. With a few changes to some of the parts, I got these to fit the 1500 perfectly. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126058

Couple notes to get it right:

1. The bottom supplied 1 1/4” carriage bolt needs to be replace with a 2” carriage bolt. This is the bolt that attaches the bracket to the lower control arm.

2. Add 1/2” washers to be used as spacers when assembling the bottom bracket, bolt, heim joint, and 2 cone spacers.

3. Do not use the supplied top bolt assembly and replace with a 4” 1/2x13 grade 8 bolt with lock nut. This will be the bolt that will connect the top heim joint to the sway bar. When looking at pic #2, you’ll see that I used a bunch (20) washers as a spacer between the upper heim joint and the sway bar. Yes you could use a 1 1/2” spacer, but the washers are quite a bit cheaper to use.

4. You will need a total of (8) 1/2” steel cone spacers. Only (6) come in the kit. Therefore, you will need to purchase/order (2) more. I got them off of eBay. See the pic below for reference.
View attachment 126059

5. When tightening the heim joints to the hexagonal rod connector, align them perpendicular to eachother.

6. When searching for this kit on eBay, search for “03-08 Ram 1500 2500 3500 4WD Inc. Mega Cab Sway Bar End Link For 0-6" Lift Kit”. (I’m not supplying the seller’s info as they have not paid me to do so AND no I’m not the seller 😂)

After putting these on, guess what!?! I still had the rattle! So the write up above is for those who have bad sway bar links! You’re welcome! I still have these installed and have over 1,000 miles on them with no issues.

Obviously my hunt to fix that damn rattle was still on!! So I crawled under the truck and just grabbed onto and shook the **** out of the sway bar…mostly out of frustration…and…it rattled! Turns out after only being 3 years old, the rubber sway bar bushings were worn out and was the source of my rattle. With the issues finally found, I didn’t want to just replace it with another rubber piece which I might have to replace in another 3 years so I searched for a polyurethane bushing. No luck with searching specifically for a 2019-2022 Ram 1500. So I measured the bar size, found it to be 36mm, and searched for 36mm polyurethane sway bar bushings. It took me 3 orders before finding the exact replacement. For replacing the old rubber bushings use Energy Suspension part 5.5160R. See the pic below for reference.

View attachment 126060

A couple of notes for replacing old bushing:

1. Be careful removing the 4 bolts that hold the sway bar bushing brackets. Even after only being 3 years old, I felt that if I had used an impact, I would have broke the bolt off in the frame. Use anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts.

2. The stock bushings are not split, therefore, they have to be cut off.

3. The new bushing do come split. Make sure the split goes towards the front.

4. Don’t forget to use the supplied grease for inside the bushing surface that meets the bar.

After installing…no more rattle!! Finally a quite Ram Rebel 1500!! I’m so freakin’ happy! 😆

If you read all of this, I hope you were entertained! But more importantly, I hope either one of these items fixes your clunk or rattle too!
Like to hear from JayBee to see how his setup has lasted ??

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you use factory brackets with the prothane bushings??
No, the factory brackets are moulded to hold the bushing in place. Prothane uses a flat steel bracket bent into a U shape to hold the bushing. Factory bracket is much stronger than the flat aftermarket style bracket.

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
Well, I can confirm that the Energy Suspension bushings 5.5160R work like a charm. now the truck is super quiet on the road back to maybe better than new!! But When I was under there I noticed my oil pan is almost rusted through!!! Called service and they said they will not cover it as a rock must of chipped the paint and caused it to rust. But my question is I have rebuilt many old cars and have never seen a pan this toasted. Also, there is no chance a rock hit above the drain plug which has rust starting!! Do we have a topic started on 2019 Ram Limited's rusted out oil pans!!!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 172
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 177
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 159

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I can confirm that the Energy Suspension bushings 5.5160R work like a charm. now the truck is super quiet on the road back to maybe better than new!! But When I was under there I noticed my oil pan is almost rusted through!!! Called service and they said they will not cover it as a rock must of chipped the paint and caused it to rust. But my question is I have rebuilt many old cars and have never seen a pan this toasted. Also, there is no chance a rock hit above the drain plug which has rust starting!! Do we have a topic started on 2019 Ram Limited's rusted out oil pans!!!
You aren't the first, there was another member here that posted something similar. They must have used finger paint on the oil pan

Users who are viewing this thread