5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surroundview camera

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Wonder why this is so hard on Ram? I used to own new Wrangler JL with a Unconnect system. And was a member of the JL forum. Bunch of guys figured how to mount a decent but cheap front cam, then run the wires to behind the dash and hook into the Unconnect system. Then they just used a Tazer to enable the front cam. Aside from the Wrangler specific Tazer, the wiring should be similar. But I guess they could have made it totally unique. Was going to try it on the Jeep but then traded it in for a Rebel.

Lize

Reaction score
The Tazer says it can "Enable Cargo/front/undercarriage Camera input".

What I don't know is what the plug/format fo the camera input is on the back of the uConnect.
I've read several threads but AV isn't my forte and I'm none the wiser, perhaps someone can help please?

I'm interested in adding a Flir Pathfindir thermal camera which just needs an NTSC input.
This is assuming I can actually get one in the UK and can afford it, did try a few years ago but didn't get very far with it!

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
The Tazer says it can "Enable Cargo/front/undercarriage Camera input".

What I don't know is what the plug/format fo the camera input is on the back of the uConnect.
I've read several threads but AV isn't my forte and I'm none the wiser, perhaps someone can help please?

I'm interested in adding a Flir Pathfindir thermal camera which just needs an NTSC input.
This is assuming I can actually get one in the UK and can afford it, did try a few years ago but didn't get very far with it!
I remember reading the Tazer DT instructions and I don't think it was actually a plug that went into the back of the unconnect. I think i was two wires off the camera's wire harness that you inserted into something like a terminal block. This was last summer when I read it.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hope mopar comes out with a front camera only kit. I don’t get how it would be so hard. I’ve called 5 dealers and they all said the same thing. If we did have the kit, it would be very expensive to add. Why would it be? I wouldn’t mind paying $1,800 for it but why would it be more than that?

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
I just hope mopar comes out with a front camera only kit. I don’t get how it would be so hard. I’ve called 5 dealers and they all said the same thing. If we did have the kit, it would be very expensive to add. Why would it be? I wouldn’t mind paying $1,800 for it but why would it be more than that?
I agree. Though I bet an aftermarket camera and harness would be much less. Adding one to a Jeep JL from Tazer is 179 bucks. It’s diy. Seems as though hardest part is getting behind the radio and plugging wires in. Tazer install instructions pretty straight forward. Their kit only works on 8.4 screen right now though.

Lize

Reaction score
I remember reading the Tazer DT instructions and I don't think it was actually a plug that went into the back of the unconnect. I think i was two wires off the camera's wire harness that you inserted into something like a terminal block. This was last summer when I read it.
When I saw the color coded inputs on the back of a uConnect and then a set of similar leads I thought perhaps the 360 camera module might output video straight into the uConnect and it might be relatively simple to enable one of the inputs via the Tazer. As you pointed out @Mighty Snowpants there's leads between wiring loom and uConnect and separate pins into the main block I looked at a few videos for other cars and further at this thread, disappointingly my idea was rubbish and it seems complicated. I couldn't find any solutions for 8.4" for the DT and mines a 12" or any good information on pins etc, let's hope someone produces something soon.

azzx

Reaction score
I hope the site admin adds the request for front camera kit to the site poll.

NehruB

Reaction score
I can't let this thread die!
After a lot of research in the past couple of months, for now I have given up on adding the Safety features such as lane departure, adaptive cruise control etc. Only one major part (DASM) but many **** cables.
addition of 360 camera requires many cables too.
However, I think adding a front camera should be possible. need the grill insert with the front camera, cables (they sell stand alone cables so no need for changing harness) -- buying the image processing module, attach front and rear camera to the module and then attach the module to the back of screen.
of course still need the dealer to turn the feature on!
View attachment 26243 View attachment 26243 View attachment 26244 View attachment 26243 View attachment 26244 View attachment 26245 View attachment 26243 View attachment 26244 View attachment 26245
What's that top module that you have the silver one?

azzx

Reaction score
The only thing that i have bought so far is the front camera in the RAM emblem housing

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing that i have bought so far is the front camera in the RAM emblem housing
Yeah I’ve been wanting to purchase it when I’m at the dealer for an oil change. Just to have it already until something comes out to just install it. How much did it cost?

jonnyt

Reaction score
I really wanted the 360 camera on my pickup, but after a ton of searching, I could not find one with a 6.4 bed, 5.7 etorque, limited. It has the package that includes the 360 camera, but then the tow mirrors are added for 400 only to remove the 360 cameras, power fold mirrors.

Well played Ram...well played.

NehruB

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have the surroundview camera system and a tazer Dt? I need someone with the feature to do a BCM capture and send it to me. I’m working with z automotive to have the program built. I already sent him mine but we need a truck with it.

Thank you

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder why this is so hard on Ram? I used to own new Wrangler JL with a Unconnect system. And was a member of the JL forum. Bunch of guys figured how to mount a decent but cheap front cam, then run the wires to behind the dash and hook into the Unconnect system. Then they just used a Tazer to enable the front cam. Aside from the Wrangler specific Tazer, the wiring should be similar. But I guess they could have made it totally unique. Was going to try it on the Jeep but then traded it in for a Rebel.
The 8.4 Connects have the secondary input available. the new rams have a camera image module that takes all the inputs and sends out the correct signal. Jeeps have a coax cable for the rear camera. BUT They have the original inputs available to use. SO it's different. then the 8.4 Rams went to a new system not the UAQ. Its Delphi based not Panasonic.

The older units had the camera input on pins 31 and 32 and they had the second input they use for rear media on some cars and cargo cam for the Heavy duty pins 24 and 25.

Honestly I wouldn't spend money on taser with alfaOBD out there.

barr0208

Reaction score
Do what most of us did and just enjoy the tow mirrors. I just learned to live with them and I have since learned to love them. Just wish they folded automatically.
that might be doable as I think all you would need is a switch the module might even be there and 2019 ram 2500 tow mirrors.

LouCap

Reaction score

They shouldn't charge us anything (or certainly not as much), because we've already paid for it. My window sticker shows the 360 camera as part of a package that was added to the cost. Then they charge more for the Tow Package but don't show a discount for the three cameras being deleted, so we definitely paid for something we never got..

azzx

Reaction score
My naïve view of the world from March -
I have contacted FCA customer service many times, just got the run around.
still love my truck - hoping for aftermarket solutions. It would be ideal If FCA comes up with kits for 1st year trucks.

Last edited:

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
Hey I just was not able to get it programmed. I ended up trading in the truck for one with the feature.
I have a question, I have the 19 with the back camera, I wanted to add a separate camera for my motorcycle lift. It would be mounted on the lift and would be removed when it is off the truck. Can you tell me what part number I would need for the camera cable from the truck into the tailgate? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread