5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surroundview camera

azzx

Reaction score
parts.rontonkindodge.net

it would be nice to get access to the parts diagrams for the vehicle
so far have not been able to find a site that has the 2019 parts diagrams on it

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mad listed this in another thread about this.

You need the front camera, left and right door cameras, image processing module. You'll need the coax cables for each camera. Then you'll need the sales codes added. The last part could become easier id alfaOBD starts to support the DT trucks because I used it on my DS truck to add keyless and go with passive entry to my 2013 as well as power fold mirrors.

If alfaOBD updates to support we will be able to open up a lot of potential things for the new trucks.

C4CW RAM

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up and all of the parts came up around $2,000. I will go to the dealer and make sure they can program the vehicle and ensure that it will work before installing them. I will keep you guys updated.
So the dealership won't have anything to do with the install?

azzx

Reaction score
Long read.
This has become my obsession since I bought my truck. Short sighted on my part not buying a truck with the package from the factory.
I have had few conversations with FCA people. Not much help, they just gave me the boiler plate answer that adding surround cameras cannot be done.
I have talked to many dealers and got the same answer.
Cameras are available. Very expensive at $2,000. Link below
https://www.mymoparpart.com/a/Ram_2...342/Surround-View-Camera-System/i2382261.html

BTW the available cameras are replacements for the models that already have this option.

Unknowns at this point are:

What cables/wires are need?
What sensors and modules are needed? Going through many of the available schematics, it looks like there are multiple sensors that are a part of this package.
I have no idea if our trucks have the sensors already installed.
Then there is the question of install. No big deal for mechanical guys.

The beigest problem is the calibration and integration in to the current configuration of my truck. Need to have the proper calibration equipment.

The best solution is for FCA to develop a kit for this purpose.
The only way we can motivate FCA is to keep pestering them and maybe they listen.
All of this should be a standard package at any trim. It is all about safety.

Last edited:

Rebel Yell

Reaction score
Long read.
This has become my obsession since I bought my truck. Short sighted on my part not buying a truck with the package from the factory.
I have had few conversations with FCA people. Not much help, they just gave me the boiler plate answer that adding surround cameras cannot be done.
I have talked to many dealers and got the same answer.
Cameras are available. Very expensive at $2,000. Link below
https://www.mymoparpart.com/a/Ram_2...342/Surround-View-Camera-System/i2382261.html

BTW the available cameras are replacements for the models that already have this option.

Unknowns at this point are:

What cables/wires are need?
What sensors and modules are needed? Going through many of the available schematics, it looks like there are multiple sensors that are a part of this package.
I have no idea if our trucks have the sensors already installed.
Then there is the question of install. No big deal for mechanical guys.

The beigest problem is the calibration and integration in to the current configuration of my truck. Need to have the proper calibration equipment.

The best solution is for FCA to develop a kit for this purpose.
The only way we can motivate FCA is to keep pestering them and maybe they listen.
All of this should be a standard package at any trim. It is all about safety.

If this is truly a must have for you, I have heard some aftermarket solutions but I don't know if anyone has attempted install on a 2019 with 12" screen. From what I have seen one of the kits is a plug and play system and comes with all the cameras and software etc needed.

NehruB

Reaction score
Hey guy so I finally installed everything on the truck. You will need the new mirrors with cameras, the door modules, the door harnesses. Then you will need the fowards facing module and the the camera for the front grill and tail gate. Then you will need to change the body harness and the headlight to dash wiring harness. These was the hardest parts to change on the vehicle. It cost around 4,500 for everything and I installed it all myself. The problem is getting it programed because my dealer is saying that they cannot add the feature to the trucks Vin it's blocked. Does anyone who how I would go about getting this thing programed because they said they could program it but now there unable too do so. The service advisor did tell me to see if someone can hack the system and just unblock the feature on the vehicle. He said Chrysler won't allow them to unblock it but someone should be able too.

azzx

Reaction score
Man - you are much more committed than I am. 4500 bucks is insane.

question: since you have gone through the cost and the process, what is needed to just add FCW, Lane departure and active CC?

also, during my search I came across few after market sites that claim to have a programmer for adding options to the truck.

https://www.obdgenie.com/
https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

there is another site (don't remember where) that has the programmer for camera

NehruB

Reaction score
Man - you are much more committed than I am. 4500 bucks is insane.

question: since you have gone through the cost and the process, what is needed to just add FCW, Lane departure and active CC?

also, during my search I came across few after market sites that claim to have a programmer for adding options to the truck.

https://www.obdgenie.com/
https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

there is another site (don't remember where) that has the programmer for camera

Thanks for the heads up and for adaptive cruise control you should just need the front harnesses and the forward facing camera that's like 1100 alone. I will contact these companies to see if they can make a flash for the surround view Cameras. One of my friends informed me that the tech at his dealer was able to unblock blocked features through the Chrysler program so I will contact them and see if I can make any progress and report back.

azzx

Reaction score
Thank you
Do you have a part number for the front harness?

myram2019

Reaction score
I too had the same problem. Bought and paid for the truck in full. Found out no folding, no 360, no dimming, no heat, and on top i was lied to about towing capacity. Was told i can tow 12,500 but turned out the truck had a 3.21 rear and was not capable. So i spoke to them and they ordered me a new truck. Took in the truck as trade and i had to pay the difference in the cost of the additional packages. I think i got lucky.

mjamesgt

Reaction score
I too had the same problem. Bought and paid for the truck in full. Found out no folding, no 360, no dimming, no heat, and on top i was lied to about towing capacity. Was told i can tow 12,500 but turned out the truck had a 3.21 rear and was not capable. So i spoke to them and they ordered me a new truck. Took in the truck as trade and i had to pay the difference in the cost of the additional packages. I think i got lucky.

Its not likely the new one you ordered will have a 12.5k towing capacity. You definitely wont if you ordered a limited.

myram2019

Reaction score
Its not likely the new one you ordered will have a 12.5k towing capacity. You definitely wont if you ordered a limited.
i never said the new one was gonna be 12.5.k From my research I'm at 11.2k which is fine. Huge difference as the 3.21 can only do 8k

mjamesgt

Reaction score
i never said the new one was gonna be 12.5.k From my research I'm at 11.2k which is fine. Huge difference as the 3.21 can only do 8k

Just make sure you check the payload sticker on the door. My limited sticker is 1579, I have seen some in the 1300s all loaded up. Would be difficult to reach 10k I would think.

myram2019

Reaction score
Just make sure you check the payload sticker on the door. My limited sticker is 1579, I have seen some in the 1300s all loaded up. Would be difficult to reach 10k I would think.
Towing capacity and payload are two different things. Towing is what you can pull from hitch and payload is what the truck can be loaded with.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Towing capacity and payload are two different things. Towing is what you can pull from hitch and payload is what the truck can be loaded with.

Yeah, but what he's saying is that there aren't many 11,000lbs+ trailers out there with tongue weights that are within the payload capacity of a loaded up half ton, especially when you consider other gear / people in the truck and the weight of a wdh hitch. Just something to watch out for is all. It's never as cut and dry as any trailer / truck salesman makes it seem.

myram2019

Reaction score
Yeah, but what he's saying is that there aren't many 11,000lbs+ trailers out there with tongue weights that are within the payload capacity of a loaded up half ton, especially when you consider other gear / people in the truck and the weight of a wdh hitch. Just something to watch out for is all. It's never as cut and dry as any trailer / truck salesman makes it seem.
I have towed 10,500 with 600 tongue weight and the truck handled nice. That is the most i will tow with that truck. If need more then i hop into my F350. :)

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have towed 10,500 with 600 tongue weight and the truck handled nice. That is the most i will tow with that truck. If need more then i hop into my F350. :)

That's not a lot of tongue weight for that kind of load, what type of trailer is it? (Just for my own curiosity)

Always good to have a heavy duty on hand, I have my father's F-350 at my disposal if I need to move entire buildings, lol.

myram2019

Reaction score
That's not a lot of tongue weight for that kind of load, what type of trailer is it? (Just for my own curiosity)

Always good to have a heavy duty on hand, I have my father's F-350 at my disposal if I need to move entire buildings, lol.
It's a 14' dump trailer. I take 5-6k scrap metal bails to the scrap yard. I center the load over the tires and have a hitch scale i check with before leaving. I also have a 24' overdeck tilt and i also always center my loads for even weight distribution

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guy so I finally installed everything on the truck. You will need the new mirrors with cameras, the door modules, the door harnesses. Then you will need the fowards facing module and the the camera for the front grill and tail gate. Then you will need to change the body harness and the headlight to dash wiring harness. These was the hardest parts to change on the vehicle. It cost around 4,500 for everything and I installed it all myself. The problem is getting it programed because my dealer is saying that they cannot add the feature to the trucks Vin it's blocked. Does anyone who how I would go about getting this thing programed because they said they could program it but now there unable too do so. The service advisor did tell me to see if someone can hack the system and just unblock the feature on the vehicle. He said Chrysler won't allow them to unblock it but someone should be able too.
You will have to have them elevate to a engineer in fca to add the sales codes. I had said this in the beginning this was going to be the worst part. The only other option is to wait for obdalfa yo support the 19 and up or infotainment figure out what sales codes but they can’t unless they have a way to manipulate the sales codes. So it will be a while .

Best bet is to prove to engineering you bought all of these parts and see if they will add the sales codes so all the dealer has to do is redownlod vehicle configuration

NehruB

Reaction score
You will have to have them elevate to a engineer in fca to add the sales codes. I had said this in the beginning this was going to be the worst part. The only other option is to wait for obdalfa yo support the 19 and up or infotainment figure out what sales codes but they can’t unless they have a way to manipulate the sales codes. So it will be a while .

Best bet is to prove to engineering you bought all of these parts and see if they will add the sales codes so all the dealer has to do is redownlod vehicle configuration

Hi how would I go about contacting the engineering department?

Users who are viewing this thread