5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

subwoofer swap

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. I’ll replace them then. Guess I’ll order another set of jbl gx302 and throw them in. The alpine in my personal opinion is a lot better than HK I work at a dodge dealership and hear both of the systems and the alpine sounds so much better
Curious to see how this goes. According to Crutchfield, the headliner has to be removed to get to them because the grills don't just pop off. I was going to order 3 sets to replace the dash and the ones in the headliner, but if it has to come off, that is a big pain.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Lol just did it this past weekend, definitely what the alpine needed. Crutchfield had them on sale so o picked up 2 pairs with adapters for 79 dollars shipped . Have you considered doing the 2 in the head liner in the back ?
What adapters did you order? Was it in addition to the speakers or did the speakers come already with it? I'm looking around on Crutchfield but no bueno...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What adapters did you order? Was it in addition to the speakers or did the speakers come already with it? I'm looking around on Crutchfield but no bueno...
Crutchfield supplies the correct adapters with the speakers free of charge no need to order them they just send them with the order thats why they ask for the vehicle you're installing them in, if you're looking to get them separately they are Metra 72-7902 for the dash, doors are different

Cannonball

Reaction score
Crutchfield supplies the correct adapters with the speakers free of charge no need to order them they just send them with the order thats why they ask for the vehicle you're installing them in, if you're looking to get them separately they are Metra 72-7902 for the dash, doors are different
What bass blocker frequency did you go with/recommend?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What bass blocker frequency did you go with/recommend?
The alpine and hk do not need bass blockers, the factory amp has built in cross over networks and each speaker is on it's own channel, nothing below 1k hz gets sent to the dash. On the base 6 speaker system the front channel is shared by the door and dash speaker so you need to filter out the low frequency going to the dash and the high going to the door unless you're running coaxials in the door.

Cannonball

Reaction score
The alpine and hk do not need bass blockers, the factory amp has built in cross over networks and each speaker is on it's own channel, nothing below 1k hz gets sent to the dash. On the base 6 speaker system the front channel is shared by the door and dash speaker so you need to filter out the low frequency going to the dash and the high going to the door unless you're running coaxials in the door.
Dude you're the man!

I'm going to get a couple sets on order and swap out my dash 3 mids (alpine setup). Then wait and see how people do getting their rear speakers out of the headliner before worrying about them.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dude you're the man!

I'm going to get a couple sets on order and swap out my dash 3 mids (alpine setup). Then wait and see how people do getting their rear speakers out of the headliner before worrying about them.
Thanks, you'll be very happy after swapping them out, you'll have to change your EQ curve to adjust.for them, in my case I added more mid and backed the treble down a bit, but the front sound stage will be drastically improved over stock. @cruz1996 said they make a big difference in the hk system as well which is a little surprising since hk has 7 proper 1 inch tweeters.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Yes the dash replacement in the alpine system makes a huge difference.

cruz1996

Reaction score
Thanks, you'll be very happy after swapping them out, you'll have to change your EQ curve to adjust.for them, in my case I added more mid and backed the treble down a bit, but the front sound stage will be drastically improved over stock. @cruz1996 said they make a big difference in the hk system as well which is a little surprising since hk has 7 proper 1 inch tweeters.
No I have the alpine I don’t have HK that was another guy that added them in his truck.

cruz1996

Reaction score
Also anyone worried about the rear roof speakers leave those in there but change the rear door speakers with the jbl gx963 6x9 it will be so much louder in the back and all around.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also anyone worried about the rear roof speakers leave those in there but change the rear door speakers with the jbl gx963 6x9 it will be so much louder in the back and all around.

That is what I am getting ready to do right now. Have to call Crutchfield though because the online rep couldn't get the adapters added to the cart for some reason. Ordering the GX302s for the front and the GX963s for the rear doors. I'll leave the fronts doors alone for now as well as the rear speakers in the headliner.

cruz1996

Reaction score
That is what I am getting ready to do right now. Have to call Crutchfield though because the online rep couldn't get the adapters added to the cart for some reason. Ordering the GX302s for the front and the GX963s for the rear doors. I'll leave the fronts doors alone for now as well as the rear speakers in the headliner.
It’s crazy how much of a difference it makes. The front doors only give bass through them no highs or anything so yeah leave those alone. The back doors are a full range. When all of that is done the alpine sounds way better than the Harmon Kardon.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s crazy how much of a difference it makes. The front doors only give bass through them no highs or anything so yeah leave those alone. The back doors are a full range. When all of that is done the alpine sounds way better than the Harmon Kardon.
Yeah, I wish the fronts were full range as well but since they aren't no point in replacing them for the moment. I will replace them at some point down the line with something that has a better woofer. My wife has the Alpine system in her '18 Grand Cherokee. It only has one 3.5" speaker so I figure my extra one will go in there.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Have you guys run into any issues with ANC when changing out the rear door speakers? I'm assuming you all are referring the Alpine system when saying the rear doors are full range and front doors are low frequency only.

Would a 2 way in the front doors be of any benefit? Not sure (how the he-double-hockey-sticks you figured this out) what the frequency range to the front doors is.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
I put an oscope on the speaker wires of the dash speakers and played a sine sweep. They fell of fast under 400hz. Never did the doors

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you guys run into any issues with ANC when changing out the rear door speakers? I'm assuming you all are referring the Alpine system when saying the rear doors are full range and front doors are low frequency only.

Would a 2 way in the front doors be of any benefit? Not sure (how the he-double-hockey-sticks you figured this out) what the frequency range to the front doors is.

I haven't checked myself, just going off posts from other forums that mention the rear doors being full range which cruz confirmed by swapping in the GX963, I ordered up the JBL GX962 for both the front and rear doors, I want the 1" textile tweeter for the rear door but do not want the 1/2" poly super tweeter. I like a softer high you get with textile. Typically tweeters made from metal or plastic are too shrill for me. On the front doors I have read 1000 Hz and below goes to the front door, I doubt the tweeter in the front is going to get a signal, I thought about clipping the wire to the tweeter and seeing if I could remove it and just use the woofer. Hoping for better overall balance throughout the entire system by using all JBL and I'm hoping for cleaner tighter mid bass than the factory door speakers. At 200 dollars total I'll run this for a while and see how I like it. If it's still not to my liking I'll replace everything with 2 ohm speakers from CDT audio but it'll end up running about a $1100, Im hoping the JBL stuff gets the job done.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't checked myself, just going off posts from other forums that mention the rear doors being full range which cruz confirmed by swapping in the GX963, I ordered up the JBL GX962 for both the front and rear doors, I want the 1" textile tweeter for the rear door but do not want the 1/2" poly super tweeter. I like a softer high you get with textile. Typically tweeters made from metal or plastic are too shrill for me. On the front doors I have read 1000 Hz and below goes to the front door, I doubt the tweeter in the front is going to get a signal, I thought about clipping the wire to the tweeter and seeing if I could remove it and just use the woofer. Hoping for better overall balance throughout the entire system by using all JBL and I'm hoping for cleaner tighter mid bass than the factory door speakers. At 200 dollars total I'll run this for a while and see how I like it. If it's still not to my liking I'll replace everything with 2 ohm speakers from CDT audio but it'll end up running about a $1100, Im hoping the JBL stuff gets the job done.
I know the Alpine is 2 ohm triple voice coil with each on their own channel. Do you know how many watts a channel is getting pushed to it?

Users who are viewing this thread