5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

subwoofer swap

cruz1996

Reaction score
I saw some people had issues with these. How hard are they to install?
I didn’t have to trim anything super easy! Two 7mm if I remember correctly on each side and have a connector which you can get off crutchfield. Mine dropped right in.

capecodcaper

Reaction score
I didn’t have to trim anything super easy! Two 7mm if I remember correctly on each side and have a connector which you can get off crutchfield. Mine dropped right in.

Do you happen to have a link for said connector?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a link for said connector?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120727902/Metra-72-7902-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html

This is for the dash/headliner speakers only. The doors are different.

You could install them without trimming anything. They just don't sit quite as flush but will still install just fine. The tabs slightly over hang the recess for the factory tabs.

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
Any updates on these projects? Trying to decide what to do with mine. Already swapped 2 dash corners with jbl’s and I have two more kicker 8’s to add under the seat but I can’t decide what to do with the rear doors. I’m not doing the front doors. The speaker pop app also shows most of my speakers are negative polarity except the left front dash speaker. Should I go in and change all them to positive?

capecodcaper

Reaction score
I definitely want updates too. I bought the recommeded JBL speakers for my rear doors and I heard they can be a problem

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any updates on these projects? Trying to decide what to do with mine. Already swapped 2 dash corners with jbl’s and I have two more kicker 8’s to add under the seat but I can’t decide what to do with the rear doors. I’m not doing the front doors. The speaker pop app also shows most of my speakers are negative polarity except the left front dash speaker. Should I go in and change all them to positive?
I changed the polarity on everything except today the front left dash. Everything else was the wrong way. Still have to change out my front doors. Everything sounded better once it was all in the correct phase.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I definitely want updates too. I bought the recommeded JBL speakers for my rear doors and I heard they can be a problem
They aren't a problem. You need to elongate the mounting holes on the speaker with a drill but that's it. Only 2 holes line up otherwise. Also, put a small washer or two with the screw to keep it from pulling at the surround. They sound great. I also put a small bit of foam weather strip around the speaker where it mounts to prevent any metal to metal and reduce vibrations.

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
CDT Audio HD-690CF.2. - has anyone tried to fit these in the front door? It has a 3.5” top mount depth and that’s deeper than everything Crutchfield recommends.

capecodcaper

Reaction score
They aren't a problem. You need to elongate the mounting holes on the speaker with a drill but that's it. Only 2 holes line up otherwise. Also, put a small washer or two with the screw to keep it from pulling at the surround. They sound great. I also put a small bit of foam weather strip around the speaker where it mounts to prevent any metal to metal and reduce vibrations.

More than anything I meant droning coming from the speakers. But that's good information to have too!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More than anything I meant droning coming from the speakers. But that's good information to have too!
I haven't noticed any, but I also have a Carven catback and that makes plenty enough noise where I may not hear any light droning inside from the speakers. I drove with MDS off a lot as well which may contribute.

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
They just don't have the response down at the bottom that the factory speakers do, they sound ok parked but once you're on the road it's like they aren't even there, if they were on a proper amp with the ability to adjust their gain it would be a different story but with the few adjustments available I couldn't get them to perform, there just a hole below 400 hz with them in there. Sounds is subjective though, you might think they sound better but I think they need a woofer biased 6x9 and not a full range 6x9 to replace them.
Do you think the CDT shallow 6x9’s and those Rockford minis would do the trick?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think the CDT shallow 6x9’s and those Rockford minis would do the trick?
I got better sound out of the JBL once they were phased correctly, I also road killed the inside of the door skin and the inside of the door panel. I made some foam rings to go around the speaker as well and make sure of all of the sound was directed out of the grill. If I did it all over again I'd just put in the the CDT cl69s.2 in the front and rear doors and th es 2" hybrids in the dash. I'd still roadkill smd foam ring the doors though

Blue Streak Ram

Reaction score
I got better sound out of the JBL once they were phased correctly, I also road killed the inside of the door skin and the inside of the door panel. I made some foam rings to go around the speaker as well and make sure of all of the sound was directed out of the grill. If I did it all over again I'd just put in the the CDT cl69s.2 in the front and rear doors and th es 2" hybrids in the dash. I'd still roadkill smd foam ring the doors though
But you still liked the factory fronts better than the JBL, right? Or did you keep the JBL’s in there?

EJanx07

Reaction score
Lol just did it this past weekend, definitely what the alpine needed. Crutchfield had them on sale so o picked up 2 pairs with adapters for 79 dollars shipped . Have you considered doing the 2 in the head liner in the back ?

Where can I get a subwoofer box, to put a 10” Kicker Comp R sub? I can’t find any after market box’s that will fit perfectly under my back seat. I looked everywhere online that I can think of..... I have a Big Horn - Crew Cab

Users who are viewing this thread