5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stolen Rebel in Ontario

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They should just lock down programming fobs. If a new key is added, lockdown the truck for an hour or more. If the battery is cut, start the time over like trying to guess passwords on phones too many times.

Then make it so you either need all keys to add one, or a single key and there's a significant time delay to program a new key, or replace the entire ECU if you don't have any keys.

The other safety could be both a very short range ( RFID "rice" chip like the old immobilizers ) and the long range radio keyfob. If there's a new key added, you need an old key in hand to unlock to program the new key.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your truck could send a code to your phone! Man is that crap annoying...

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me too please. And I can tell you they are targeting any Gen 5 Ram. Ecos, Hemis, TRX's. Any model or trim. we had 4 go last night. 1 TRX . 2 Limiteds and 1 Reb

Just looking at video now from one theft It seems one is looking at the VIN plate and one goes to the house to grab a fob signal. Carrying a pack of some sort- likely a laptop / tablet. The support car has two bandits in it and they scout and sometimes it seems they may be making fobs. Doesnt take long at all. I fished my 30 year old CLUB outta the storage and Im gonna slap it on. Never thought Id ever use it again.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't care if it’s against the rules but slide a black CD to cover my VIN on the windshield also so that I can quickly & easily remove it from inside. Anything that slows them down &/or hopefully gets them caught.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Me too please. And I can tell you they are targeting any Gen 5 Ram. Ecos, Hemis, TRX's. Any model or trim. we had 4 go last night. 1 TRX . 2 Limiteds and 1 Reb

Just looking at video now from one theft It seems one is looking at the VIN plate and one goes to the house to grab a fob signal. Carrying a pack of some sort- likely a laptop / tablet. The support car has two bandits in it and they scout and sometimes it seems they may be making fobs. Doesnt take long at all. I fished my 30 year old CLUB outta the storage and Im gonna slap it on. Never thought Id ever use it again.
Where were these 4 trucks stolen from? You mention a house...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't care if it’s against the rules but slide a black CD to cover my VIN on the windshield also so that I can quickly & easily remove it from inside. Anything that slows them down &/or hopefully gets them caught.
Great idea.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not clear to me why they would have been looking at the VIN plate. If they were sniffing/relaying the fob signal, the VIN wouldn't make any difference to them.

Maybe they were trying to fulfill a checklist of certain trucks to steal. Dunno.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great idea.

I read about it yesterday on a website where a ton of folks in Ontario are dealing with an epidemic of vehicle thefts it seems like. It’s just one way they can’t obtain the VIN from outside. Guarding, relocating, adding the horn wires would probably be the next best step for obvious reasons.

These lowlifes probably spend too much time sifting through info like this though so Jimmy07 has a great point - it’s hard to keep some of this info hidden from public knowledge. Might be nice to add some security features to our beloved forum but also might not be possible.

The runner thieves don’t even really make that much money off each car & put themselves at incredibly stupid risk for doing this. If you A**hole thieves are reading this - F U! Get a real job! You’ll make more money & less likely to get your face stomped. One of these days…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see crazy stuff like that happening in my part of the country.
Good way to get yourself shot if it happened out here. Crazy to think people are just driving around going into peoples driveways at night and no one seeing it.

It seems like a poor design on Ram's part but anyone can get dealership equipment. People talk about needing all key fobs to make a new fob, but what happens if you drop your fob down a sewer drain? Buy a new truck lol? or just order a new part that a thief could buy and transplant into your truck to make a new fob?

A big problem is the crime not getting handled, you can't make ANYTHING unstealable . Hell they could just roll around with a flatbed and pull the truck up....

Smash the glass and hookup straps and tow it after putting it manually in neutral without a key.

There are a tons of ways to do it, the root problem are the criminals, police or someone needs to step up in these places or people need to be voted out of power and correct ones put in.
These lowlifes probably spend too much time sifting through info like this though so Jimmy07 has a great point - it’s hard to keep some of this info hidden from public knowledge. Might be nice to add some security features to our beloved forum but also might not be possible.
It's flawed thinking that you don't think 1 of us could be these thief stealing stuff. Anyone can do it. I kind of get why Jimmy doesn't want to just post whatever, but if not posting something is intended to keep is secure he's wrong. Anyone he just messaged could just post it, or could be someone actually stealing trucks anyways.

There are a ton of ways to secure your truck if you are concerned about it getting stolen.
First of all have insurance that covers theft, and then get devices like kill switches etc that greatly prevent (without knowing where to look or what to do) thief.
Hell you can even pay your Ramconnect if you want and it will locate via GPS. They are not going to rip the dash apart to disconnect the locating unit generally.

Ill just do my part and if I ever see someone trying to steal my truck shoot them dead. Dead men tell no tales, but all their friends will be scared for a while once they hear their buddy died mid theft.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see crazy stuff like that happening in my part of the country.
Good way to get yourself shot if it happened out here. Crazy to think people are just driving around going into peoples driveways at night and no one seeing it.

It seems like a poor design on Ram's part but anyone can get dealership equipment. People talk about needing all key fobs to make a new fob, but what happens if you drop your fob down a sewer drain? Buy a new truck lol? or just order a new part that a thief could buy and transplant into your truck to make a new fob?

A big problem is the crime not getting handled, you can't make ANYTHING unstealable . Hell they could just roll around with a flatbed and pull the truck up....

Smash the glass and hookup straps and tow it after putting it manually in neutral without a key.

There are a tons of ways to do it, the root problem are the criminals, police or someone needs to step up in these places or people need to be voted out of power and correct ones put in.

It's flawed thinking that you don't think 1 of us could be these thief stealing stuff. Anyone can do it. I kind of get why Jimmy doesn't want to just post whatever, but if not posting something is intended to keep is secure he's wrong. Anyone he just messaged could just post it, or could be someone actually stealing trucks anyways.

There are a ton of ways to secure your truck if you are concerned about it getting stolen.
First of all have insurance that covers theft, and then get devices like kill switches etc that greatly prevent (without knowing where to look or what to do) thief.
Hell you can even pay your Ramconnect if you want and it will locate via GPS. They are not going to rip the dash apart to disconnect the locating unit generally.

Ill just do my part and if I ever see someone trying to steal my truck shoot them dead. Dead men tell no tales, but all their friends will be scared for a while once they hear their buddy died mid theft.
Jimmy not posting his solution in the open forum prevents thieves from k knowing his solution. Sending PMs endures only those sending PMs will know. Even if one of them is a thief, it won't matter unless they try to steal a truck that has used his method for immobilizing. I haven't seen a single person post on this forum about what his method is.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
having insurance is great but it does not guarantee you can replace the truck with a like truck, because now you only get a e-torque
Unless you buy used, since technically that would be only way to actually replace it with a "like" truck. And it's more than just the etorque that has changed

Users who are viewing this thread