5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stolen Rebel in Ontario

GMetal

Reaction score
So its a good idea to wire tie the horn wire to the horn and secure the wire so it cant be accessed easily? Its easy to get illicit tools from China that bypass current safety protocols. Its also easier for thieves to share car theft exploits via the internet.

GMetal

Reaction score
I wrapped the horn wires with braided wire covering. I then shrouded the plug with more braided wire covering to reinforce the wires. I used zip ties to cinch the covering over the wires. I am thinking either get another horn and tap into the wires and mount it under the hood or move these horns to a different location.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wrapped the horn wires with braided wire covering. I then shrouded the plug with more braided wire covering to reinforce the wires. I used zip ties to cinch the covering over the wires. I am thinking either get another horn and tap into the wires and mount it under the hood or move these horns to a different location.
Don’t overthink the horn. Those guys were amateurs, took too long, and pulling the horn/opening the door was unnecessary.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. Too bad FCA doesn't invent some down and dirty device that thieves struggle to overcome. Maybe a little metal piece with notches in it that would allow you to activate a switch or something. They could call it "The Key". It could be lightweight and easy to carry. It might catch on.

Put the wiring in metal conduit and boxes so it is not easily accessible. Something. Theft can really be a matter of speed and ease. Yes it would make things a pain to work on but hey, look at where they put the oil filter... Heck I had a 4 banger Nissan that needed the top of the intake removed to change spark plugs. How crazy was that? Make it harder to steal and they won't be stolen (as much).
but woulnd this defeat the purpose of key less , you would actually have to take your keys or this devise out?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe he is being facetious. I could be wrong, but I think he is referring to the old key system as opposed to this new keyless system that is SUPPOSED to be more secure.
I mean, technically it was more secure until the thieves got more advanced to match the technology.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, technically it was more secure until the thieves got more advanced to match the technology.

No matter what manufacturers do, thieves will always find a way around it. Plus, manufacturers aren’t really interested in making vehicles impossible to steal. That‘s what the aftermarket sector is for.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No matter what manufacturers do, thieves will always find a way around it. Plus, manufacturers aren’t really interested in making vehicles impossible to steal. That‘s what the aftermarket sector is for.
If they weren't interested in making vehicles harder to steal, there wouldnt be a SGW, and they wouldnt have xhanged the BCM so the average owner couldnt program their own key fobs anymore.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they weren't interested in making vehicles harder to steal, there wouldnt be a SGW, and they wouldnt have xhanged the BCM so the average owner couldnt program their own key fobs anymore.

I get your point. I guess my point is that it doesn’t matter what we, or the manufacturers do, unfortunately thieves will find a way around it. My Ram 2500 had a Clifford alarm system with shock and glass break sensors, security film on all four side windows (glass stays together even when hit by a bat), Jimmy Jammers in all four doors, my train horns as the siren and a Ravelco unit. It still probably could have been rolled onto a flatbed and driven away. The best we can do is make it as difficult to steal as possible to try to deter the lazy thieves.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe he is being facetious. I could be wrong, but I think he is referring to the old key system as opposed to this new keyless system that is SUPPOSED to be more secure.
oh ok makes sens lol, my primary language is french lol so i dont always understand the meaning of things in english

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Shifts And Grins Fab may be working on something in the near future as far as a bolt on plate to block the horn wires.

I also like the idea of additional horns, train horns especially - that way even if they do clip the oem wires they’ll be in for a loud surprise.

Ravelco for sure. Works and less expensive than the IGLA.

Best thing I’ve read on another thread here but hasn’t been mentioned nearly as much is relocating the OBD port. He even added a dummy port in the oem location.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Don’t overthink the horn. Those guys were amateurs, took too long, and pulling the horn/opening the door was unnecessary.
100% agree with this. I like to hear everyone’s ideas for better theft deterrents, but seeing exactly how it’s done on the internet makes things even less secure if it becomes public knowledge.

GMetal

Reaction score
Its done. What else can be done? I know these windows can be pulled down with a suction cup or tape. Easy enough to put a relay disconnect on the starter solenoid but then I lose remote start. The idea is to slow them down enough so its not worth it. I already have had scumbags on video trying to see to see if the doors are open.

Users who are viewing this thread