5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeal during cold weather start ups

Jp306

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't come across this topic yet. During colder temperatures (-15 C / 5 F and colder) I get a VERY loud squealing after start up. It sounds like a kettle whistling is the best description I can give. It will last up to a minute or so, then stops. Doesn't seem right for a brand new truck.

5.7 L with only 5000km on it. No ideas from dealer yet.

Thoughts?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't come across this topic yet. During colder temperatures (-15 C / 5 F and colder) I get a VERY loud squealing after start up. It sounds like a kettle whistling is the best description I can give. It will last up to a minute or so, then stops. Doesn't seem right for a brand new truck.

5.7 L with only 5000km on it. No ideas from dealer yet.

Thoughts?

We certainly understand why this would be concerning, @Jp306. We kindly recommend following up with your local Ram dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance with this. If you work with your dealer to address this, we suggest contacting Canadian Customer Care to have this documented. You may find their contact information by clicking on the following link and scrolling down to the "Canada" tab: https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx.

Mark
RamCares

Jp306

Reaction score
We certainly understand why this would be concerning, @Jp306. We kindly recommend following up with your local Ram dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance with this. If you work with your dealer to address this, we suggest contacting Canadian Customer Care to have this documented. You may find their contact information by clicking on the following link and scrolling down to the "Canada" tab: https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/footer/Pages/contacts.aspx.

Mark
RamCaresxdfegrgfkjdfvndflkvlk

Mark
RamCares

Hi, Mark. Thank-you for your reply months and months ago. I have been to the dealership several times, they replaced the alternator TWICE, and nothing has changed. I don't think they have any clue what to do next. This problem is in conjunction to other electrical system issues that were "fixed", but were not (fan intermittently will not function, heated seat and wheel will not turn on, all trouble lights will go off at the time same). The dealership has not seen ANY OTHERS with these issues. I know numerous people with 2019+ Rams and not one has experienced anything like this truck of mine (and have shown them videos). It seems I am unlucky enough to be unique with these issues.

That's it for my rant, and I will certainly take your advice in contacting Canadian Customer Care. If you're interested, here's a video of the wicked squeal:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard similar sound on mine too, though not for as long as yours went for. Mine lasts maybe 10 seconds, maybe 15 seconds sometimes. Only when it's real cold. I thought it might be related to the air suspension tanks topping themselves off. Doesn't happen enough to really bother me, but I would love to know what it is.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, Mark. Thank-you for your reply months and months ago. I have been to the dealership several times, they replaced the alternator TWICE, and nothing has changed. I don't think they have any clue what to do next. This problem is in conjunction to other electrical system issues that were "fixed", but were not (fan intermittently will not function, heated seat and wheel will not turn on, all trouble lights will go off at the time same). The dealership has not seen ANY OTHERS with these issues. I know numerous people with 2019+ Rams and not one has experienced anything like this truck of mine (and have shown them videos). It seems I am unlucky enough to be unique with these issues.

That's it for my rant, and I will certainly take your advice in contacting Canadian Customer Care. If you're interested, here's a video of the wicked squeal:
My 19 etorque made a chirping sound from under the hood, it was loud but it was not that sound. Good luck with a fix👍🏻

Jp306

Reaction score
I will let you know what I find out down the road. Good idea re: air tanks but I don't have air suspension.

nekit

Reaction score
I will let you know what I find out down the road. Good idea re: air tanks but I don't have air suspension.
Did anyone figure out what this noise is. I have a 2021 3.6 L that makes the same noise. It’s an E torque. Sounds like it’s coming from the belts or E torque

Jp306

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for the part (back order) but the dealership now thinks it is due to the Intelligent Battery Sensor which is just off the negative post of the battery. They said it was scanned and failed, which messes with the battery voltage and voltage drops low. Then the alternator works overtime on a cold start to charge the low battery state.

I will update again once the IBS is installed.

nekit

Reaction score
Hmmm. That seems odd. I’ll be curious if that fixes it. Thanks for the update.

RHeller1

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing on cold starts. Usually under 25 degrees fahrenheit. Mine is under warranty, but I ordered a new belt tensioner, belt and idler pulley. It was under $100 so I figured what the hell. Will let you know if it makes a difference.

nekit

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing on cold starts. Usually under 25 degrees fahrenheit. Mine is under warranty, but I ordered a new belt tensioner, belt and idler pulley. It was under $100 so I figured what the hell. Will let you know if it makes a difference.
Any updates on these?

R.A.M

Reaction score
My 21 just did this yesterday for the 1st time. About 5 seconds and it stopped. Brand new truck...kinda bummed. It was -15°c

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It does sound like an alternator that's being asked to produce a lot of voltage to charge a battery, the cold temps make sense.
Try this, take the serpentine belt off in the evening then try a restart in the morning when its cold

Jp306

Reaction score
Update: battery sensor was changed, did not fix the squeal and dealer could still hear it.
They replaced the idler and tensioner at the same time, now the squeal is history. Bad news is I can’t tell you which of the two was the problem. But it wasn’t the sensor.

RHeller1

Reaction score
So far I have replaced the idler pulley and my squeal is gone, although its 24 degrees and not -5. I have the tensioner pulley to replace as well, just havent gotten to it yet. As a reference, I bought the Gates pulleys from rock auto instead of OEM #38018 and #36313

Luckyguy

Reaction score
My 21 did this too. Temperature was about 0-5 degrees. Whined abit then stopped. Assumed it was the cold. Guess maybe I should talk to my dealership.

billyraff

Reaction score
my 2021 5.7 does this every time it is below -5 outside overnight. I get about a 15 second squeal then it goes away. I figured its a mixture of an ice cold belt or something with road salt up in the engine bay. Dealer checked everything and it was warmer so nothing could be identified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online