5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeal during cold weather start ups

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 started doing this a couple weeks ago. Only does it on cold starts when temp is below 30 degrees. I have 53K miles on my truck. tonight I decided to change my oil myself ( last 4 oil changes were serviced by dealership). First thing I noticed was the amount of oil leaking from my oil filter which was in-fact installed correctly/ securely. Any Thoughts?

Recent Service History
** This past July I had passenger side cracked exhaust manifold and cracked cylinder head replaced by dealership.
** in May had engine misfire on cylinder 3.

RHeller1

Reaction score
Gates pulleys from rock auto instead of OEM #38018. Like $14 and 10 minutes to swap

Redman24

Reaction score
Have people had it be the idler pulley or tensioner? My 19 has been doing it for past 2 winters. First time they replaced the alternator and said it fixed it till the next cold day and made the squeal again. Brought it back they said couldn’t replicate it. Took it multiple times to them after that and tired of being told can’t replicate it

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have people had it be the idler pulley or tensioner? My 19 has been doing it for past 2 winters. First time they replaced the alternator and said it fixed it till the next cold day and made the squeal again. Brought it back they said couldn’t replicate it. Took it multiple times to them after that and tired of being told can’t replicate it
Try a belt dressing and see if that helps. Many times it is caused by belt being stiff from the cold, and not gripping the metal pullies and/or tensor wheel. Also, how old is the belt, as this can be because the belt surface can become glazed.

Redman24

Reaction score
The belt is from the factory so from 19 and how much dressing do I put on?

Redman24

Reaction score
We’ll I tried the belt dressing and that didn’t work so gunna replace the pulleys next since they both feel not butter smooth when the engine is running. What would be the torque spec for the bolts for the idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley? And what would be the spec for bolt holding the belt tensioner to the engine?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We’ll I tried the belt dressing and that didn’t work so gunna replace the pulleys next since they both feel not butter smooth when the engine is running. What would be the torque spec for the bolts for the idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley? And what would be the spec for bolt holding the belt tensioner to the engine?
Perhaps someone can chime in on this method. Gets you in the "ballpark".

Jp306

Reaction score
Mine squealed in the cold like a banshee since new (also a 2019). The dealership tried multiple things which didn’t work before finally doing both the tensioner and idler pulley together. No problems since.

Chaldean

Reaction score
Got the same sound in the past few days, doesn't seem to be an issue since the car only does it in the morning when the temp is really low (below 20 F).

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Belt slipping will cause same/similar noise.
Use a belt dressing and see if that helps. Belt might be glazed.
Also, belt tensor spring might need replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread