5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheeler

Reaction score
I am running Toyo Rt
I don't know for this truck. My previous 2016 rebel pretty much same gvwr toyo recommend 55.

Wheeler

Reaction score
That's what shop inflated. I think they just follow door jam sticker

WRH

Reaction score
Received my Rough Country to fix the speedometer and all the power warnings scared me off. Can you brick your truck with this thing? Does everyone pull all the extra breakers (GPS, Satellite, etc) like they instruct in the instructions? They say it's as easy as 1, 2, 3, but that opening paragraph sure doesn't make it sound like it.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Received my Rough Country to fix the speedometer and all the power warnings scared me off. Can you brick your truck with this thing? Does everyone pull all the extra breakers (GPS, Satellite, etc) like they instruct in the instructions? They say it's as easy as 1, 2, 3, but that opening paragraph sure doesn't make it sound like it.
Let me know how you make out...I was gonna purchase this unit next week after I pt my 35's on

Twoamen

Reaction score
I have hypertech. Works without issue. They make rough country's calabrator. No it won't brick your truck. I've talked to hypertech and it's limited to just calabration. Apparently works with ECM on transmission and shift points. What ever you do don't unplug it while it states programing. It sometimes takes longer than you think. It will eventually say turn ignition off. I thought it was locked up because it sat froze I thought . Unplugged to soon. It screwed programer up. Spent better part of an hour with tech support Recalibrating the The hypertech device.

deanfx

Reaction score
With the RC speedo tool do I need to unplug all the fuses in the instructions or just do it?

Novacain

Reaction score
I took my truck to dealer to get re calibrated, they charged me $350. but I keep the calibration tool which is the same one I was going to buy online.
I have 22 / 12.5 / 35's and I entered 33.25 in the tool to have a correct spedo reading.

it's really easy to use.

miller89

Reaction score
The only time I have noticed it downshifting on the highway on relatively small inclines is when I had the whole family in the truck for a trip to flagstaff. So we had 5 passengers (500lbs) and gear in the back (maybe another couple hundred). That was before the speedo calibration. Haven’t really put any miles on it on the highway since.

As for the rims, I had the stock wheels on at first but there was some rubbing on the UCA’s so the dealer put in 1/4 inch spacers. I didn’t like the idea of spacers so I went with a +1 offset. So almost 3/4’s of an inch out from stock.

I’ll try to remember to post up my thoughts after I get some miles on it but it may be a while because it’s going into the shop this week to fix the ACC and FCW not working.

I really don’t mind the 3.21. I had a 16 Big Horn with the 3.92 and on the trips up the mountain in that truck it seemed to me that it ran at higher RPM’s going up the big hills. The 3.21 still has plenty of get up and go and just seems to run a little lower RPM’s on the same hills.

Edit: I also have the Pedal Commander but it is off right now because of trips to the dealer. My experience with the Pedal Commander is that it makes it feel a little more responsive off the line but in reality I probably wouldn’t buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, im debating on getting one of the Hypertech calibrators. Can I ask, did you notice a difference from before and after the calibration? I have a 2019 Ram Laramie. I went from 275/55/20's to 295/60/20's with 3.21 gears. The truck definitely feels a bit more sluggish, but not in the way of the power, I feel like the transmission doesn't know what gear to be in at low speeds. Especially if I am going relatively slow (say a yield sign) then hit the gas. It's like it wants to stay in 3rd gear for a while then finally realizes it needs to be in a lower gear and shifts about an hour later.

Long story short, I want to purchase this calibrator, but am afraid it wont do anything. I wanted to get your thoughts on how it felt before/after to you! Thanks buddy!!

deanfx

Reaction score
Hey man, im debating on getting one of the Hypertech calibrators. Can I ask, did you notice a difference from before and after the calibration? I have a 2019 Ram Laramie. I went from 275/55/20's to 295/60/20's with 3.21 gears. The truck definitely feels a bit more sluggish, but not in the way of the power, I feel like the transmission doesn't know what gear to be in at low speeds. Especially if I am going relatively slow (say a yield sign) then hit the gas. It's like it wants to stay in 3rd gear for a while then finally realizes it needs to be in a lower gear and shifts about an hour later.

Long story short, I want to purchase this calibrator, but am afraid it wont do anything. I wanted to get your thoughts on how it felt before/after to you! Thanks buddy!!
I have the same setup. I went with RC calibrator. I can't tell any difference other than the speedometer is correct and the MPG has been corrected.

miller89

Reaction score
I have the same setup. I went with RC calibrator. I can't tell any difference other than the speedometer is correct and the MPG has been corrected.

I've been getting between 13-14 mpg (according to the truck) did yours get better? All things considered, would you do the speedo calibrator again knowing what you know now? Thanks man!

deanfx

Reaction score
I've been getting between 13-14 mpg (according to the truck) did yours get better? All things considered, would you do the speedo calibrator again knowing what you know now? Thanks man!
I do more highway driving than town. At this point I'm getting 17ish mpg. Yeah I'd do it again because I'm weird about things being right.

miller89

Reaction score
I do more highway driving than town. At this point I'm getting 17ish mpg. Yeah I'd do it again because I'm weird about things being right.

I totally get that. How much was your programmer? Did you have any issues with your car feeling sluggish in lower gears?

Crozz13

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just installed the RC 3.5" lift kit and installed 295 65r20 Toyo Open Country M/T's on my 2019 Crew cab 6'4" box RAM.

I'm currently trying to plug in the RC speedo calibrator. The instructions tell me to plug the unit into a green block under the dash. There isn't anything green under the dash of my truck. Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so where did you plug in? Any assistance would be great. RC was not helpful to this point.

Attachments

• RAM 01.jpg
    RAM 01.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 91
  • RAM 02.jpg
    RAM 02.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 88

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just installed the RC 3.5" lift kit and installed 295 65r20 Toyo Open Country M/T's on my 2019 Crew cab 6'4" box RAM.

I'm currently trying to plug in the RC speedo calibrator. The instructions tell me to plug the unit into a green block under the dash. There isn't anything green under the dash of my truck. Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so where did you plug in? Any assistance would be great. RC was not helpful to this point.

It’s really hard to get to and I pretty much had to lay on my back looking up under the dash. It is tucked right behind where the light controls are closest to the driver side door. You will need a flashlight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crozz13

Reaction score
It’s really hard to get to and I pretty much had to lay on my back looking up under the dash. It is tucked right behind where the light controls are closest to the driver side door. You will need a flashlight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes it is very hard to locate. I ended up removing the cover for the e-brake. That gave me access to the two screws holding the switch plate in place. Removing the switch plate made access much easier. Thanks for the info.

Aaron Mopar

Reaction score
14 January 2020 and dealerships still cannot adjust the speedometer through calibration on these trucks. It's a little frustrating considering at first they thought they could do it and were only going to charge me 80 bucks. Now it's looking like I need an expensive tool and have to do it myself... Should I go with the Rough Country or the Hypertech? Do either one of those adjust shift points? I'm just hoping for good answers since I'm kind of waking this old thread back up. I put 275/65r20's on the truck.
Edit: Will the RC or HT also fix the odometer calibration too?
82464298_464474131167373_3054708713760751616_n.jpg

Last edited:

Twoamen

Reaction score
Hypertech will adjust for tire size, Rough country is made by hypertech. The device works as stated. Don't rush the operation. Sometimes it sets programing and you think it is locked up. I made mistake on unplugging. Tech support walks you through the repair. Second if you forget or can't un-marry the unit and the dealer flashes your truck. That will cause you aggravation. Copy of invoice with VIN number listed, sent to tech support. They redo your registration, you reload the software, and start from scratch.
I'm setting at this point. Today, tried software update. No go. Getting error 90. Call tech support. So as easy as it supposed to be be isn't easy.

jdubc72

Reaction score
I put 5" RC lift with 35" tires on my 3.92 longhorn last week. I noticed the speedometer is off. 3 questions: 1, has anyone used the z automotive tazer DT to adjust speedometer? It says adjust tire size but doesn't say anything about speedometer or shifting points. 2, does larger tires/speedometer calibration have any effect on odometer? And 3rd, anyone live in California? All these say not for sell in California. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_164031.jpg
    IMG_20200121_164031.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread