5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Echance01

Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on what calibration tool is the best/easiest (Rough Country, Hypertech, etc.) Looking to go to 35 in tires soon and would like everything to be accurate on the dash.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Id say RC because it also helps with the shift points especially if you're running a 3.21 like me. I should be ok though because it's mostly flat in NJ

Rich

Reaction score
I'm on stock tires, but I'm wondering if the aftermarket companies haven't all caught up with the security and need for a gateway that is in the new 2019's?

I see that the infotainment group ( company that uses the Obdgenie) sells a device to bypass the security, maybe it will help others if they use the OBD connector also?

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm on stock tires, but I'm wondering if the aftermarket companies haven't all caught up with the security and need for a gateway that is in the new 2019's?

I see that the infotainment group ( company that uses the Obdgenie) sells a device to bypass the security, maybe it will help others if they use the OBD connector also?
Im not sure what youre asking?

FDXGUY

Reaction score
My issues with these is that you set your truck up once (for most people) and then never use it again. We should do a group buy and share it!
In a perfect world, that would be great but any tuner or calibration tool mates and VIN locks to one vehicle.

Rich

Reaction score
Im not sure what youre asking?

I'm just saying that the thread tuner that doesn't work hasn't dealt with the new security on the OBD port. This may no be right as I don't know if the tire tuners try to work via the OBD port or not.

Feel free to ignore this as I have no knowledge in this area. Lol

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just saying that the thread tuner that doesn't work hasn't dealt with the new security on the OBD port. This may no be right as I don't know if the tire tuners try to work via the OBD port or not.

Feel free to ignore this as I have no knowledge in this area. Lol
Call rough country next week and speak to them. The Diablo pulsar does the same thing And a couple of members in the forum said it worked for them..I’ll be finding out soon

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, two dealers and two local garages cannot calibrate the speedometer. Since I increased tire size to 275 60-R20 my speedometer reads approximately 3 mph faster than stated on speedometer. Actually 2,270 mph. Anyhow nobody seems to be able to adjust for tire size. One Ram dealers tech said a service contract needs purchased then your VIN is tag as able to be adjusted for tires and gearing.
Anyone have any technical advice to challenge these dealers please advise.
Hypertech make a speedometer recalibrator.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hypertech make a speedometer recalibrator.
I spoke to the service department yesterday regarding this and they are not allowed to change the tire size nor do I think they have the capability to go up to that size tire. The rough country device is only $179 I think and the guys that used it says it looks exactly like the hypertech software

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I spoke to the service department yesterday regarding this and they are not allowed to change the tire size nor do I think they have the capability to go up to that size tire. The rough country device is only $179 I think and the guys that used it says it looks exactly like the hypertech software

I believe it is a rebranded Hypertech as I remember seeing that name when I downloaded the software on my computer to check for updates.

I received my Rough Country Speedometer Calibrator today. I have 35x12.5R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers which according to their site are 34.76 inches. I initially set it to 35” and using a Speedometer app on my phone and a radar enabled speed limit sign by my house the speedometer was off in the other direction. So it took a few loops and reprograms but ended up setting it to 33” to get it dead on to both the app and the sign.

Has anybody else had to adjust it that far off from the actual tire size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoamen

Reaction score
Something don't seem right. I have 275/60R20 series. Michelin site states they are 33 inch dia. I set Hypertech collaboration to 32.75 which is spot on. Originally they ran 3 mile an hour faster than speedometer.

FDXGUY

Reaction score
I believe it is a rebranded Hypertech as I remember seeing that name when I downloaded the software on my computer to check for updates.

I received my Rough Country Speedometer Calibrator today. I have 35x12.5R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers which according to their site are 34.76 inches. I initially set it to 35” and using a Speedometer app on my phone and a radar enabled speed limit sign by my house the speedometer was off in the other direction. So it took a few loops and reprograms but ended up setting it to 33” to get it dead on to both the app and the sign.

I always calibrate to the actual size of the tire when they’re mounted and under the load of the vehicle. Just use a tape measure. You’ll be surprised at the actual circumference size compared to what the manufacture size is.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's weird....Do you need to do a software update? Please let me know as I was planning on purchasing this, but am only going to run 34's so might not need it...I can handle a mile or two off but worried about the shift points.

chance21

Reaction score

I have the Hypertech on my Ram, and I had one on my Tundra; they both were just like you described. I initially set the programmer for the tire size and adjusted down to get my speedometer exact with my GPS. This is normal as tires aren't to a precise standard and the programmer is just adjusting based off of math calculations.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
That's weird....Do you need to do a software update? Please let me know as I was planning on purchasing this, but am only going to run 34's so might not need it...I can handle a mile or two off but worried about the shift points.

I downloaded the updater from Rough Country and hooked it up, it said there was no update available so no need at this point to update.

To early to tell if it made any changes in the shift points. I’ll post back after I get some miles on it today.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I downloaded the updater from Rough Country and hooked it up, it said there was no update available so no need at this point to update.

To early to tell if it made any changes in the shift points. I’ll post back after I get some miles on it today.

Awesome! Someone did say that it helped so I'm curious.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So did you have any changes with the shift points?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
So did you have any changes with the shift points?

I really can’t tell. It seems like maybe but then I wonder if it’s a placebo effect. I have to take it back in to the shop at some point this week so I will reset it back to stock and see if it’s noticeable. If nothing else I do like knowing that the speedo is correct.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really can’t tell. It seems like maybe but then I wonder if it’s a placebo effect. I have to take it back in to the shop at some point this week so I will reset it back to stock and see if it’s noticeable. If nothing else I do like knowing that the speedo is correct.

you running a 3.92?

Users who are viewing this thread