5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twoamen

Reaction score
Well, two dealers and two local garages cannot calibrate the speedometer. Since I increased tire size to 275 60-R20 my speedometer reads approximately 3 mph faster than stated on speedometer. Actually 2,270 mph. Anyhow nobody seems to be able to adjust for tire size. One Ram dealers tech said a service contract needs purchased then your VIN is tag as able to be adjusted for tires and gearing.
Anyone have any technical advice to challenge these dealers please advise.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Cant remember right now but there is someone who makes the gizmo to reprogram it

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well, two dealers and two local garages cannot calibrate the speedometer. Since I increased tire size to 275 60-R20 my speedometer reads approximately 3 mph faster than stated on speedometer. Actually 2,270 mph. Anyhow nobody seems to be able to adjust for tire size. One Ram dealers tech said a service contract needs purchased then your VIN is tag as able to be adjusted for tires and gearing.

Wait. Dealers can't figure this out? How can this be?

Twoamen

Reaction score
One dealer said you could not calibrate the speedometer, and using gps to check was not accurate. (Contrary to internet information.) This one the service manager is an arrogant *** and I Dealt with him before. The other was more helpful. Hooked up the mopar terminal or whatever they call it and he said no options shown to change tire size. This Tech seemed to knowledgable .He said they would check into it with chrysler and call me. He also is the one who said he learned of a Service contract supplemental you buy, so you can alter at will your Tires, lift, gearing. That is new to me and they had a office somebody search out their sites without luck finding any information on it.

chance21

Reaction score
I use a hypertech programmer. All it can do right now is recalibrate for tire size.

I used a Hypertech speedometer calibrator to re-calibrate my speedometer on my 2012 Toyota Tundra. On my Tundra it worked very well and was fairly easy to adjust using a laptop computer. I would make small tire size changes in the unit until the speedometer was accurate to a GPS. If your OCD (I am) and absolutely "need" your speedometer to be accurate this is a good way to do it.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a hypertech programmer. All it can do right now is recalibrate for tire size.
Their website is pretty terrible, how do you reprogram exactly? Do you use bluetooth paired to your phone? It is stand alone? Do you use it with a laptop??

chance21

Reaction score
The one I had on my Tundra had a USB port to use when making config changes or updating the units firmware. When I installed it, I put a long USB cable on it and tucked the cable into the kick panel when I wasn't using it. Installation was a pain in the *** because it had to go behind the speedometer. The one they show on their website for the 2019 Ram doesn't look as difficult. Making the config changes to the unit was very easy. When I needed to make changes I'd bring my laptop to the truck, make a size change, go for a test ride, and repeat if necessary. The device comes with the required software but I think they have it available for download on the product page of their website.

I also had a Hypertech Interceptor on that truck to smooth out the peddle feel and engine mapping. I ended up removing the engine mapping module because it sucked. But the module that smoothed out peddle feel (think engine surging) worked well and was still on the truck when I traded it in..

jscoc

Reaction score
I just saw this the other day it's made by super chips and let's you calibrate speedometer to tire size

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180914-110404_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180914-110404_Chrome.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 455

jscoc

Reaction score
Looks nice, but $500! o_0
Yeah I know but from what I read you have options to adjust power like a pedal commander to using the up and down shift buttons on steering wheel. If it gives more power and you can use it to adjust speedometer and tires it might be worth it. I won't be the first to try it though lol

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I know but from what I read you have options to adjust power like a pedal commander to using the up and down shift buttons on steering wheel. If it gives more power and you can use it to adjust speedometer and tires it might be worth it. I won't be the first to try it though lol
My issues with these is that you set your truck up once (for most people) and then never use it again. We should do a group buy and share it!

Twoamen

Reaction score
A local repair shop, pretty savvy on electronics and they had a laptop and scanner, not sure exact type. The system did not recognize the computer in the RAM. I'm wondering if they locked up changes on 2019s

jamesfg

Reaction score
Call it b.s. or take it at face value. My buddy who know a grip of folks in the aftermarket industry as his shop builds high $$ for celebs and what not said that AMP is working on the powerstep for our trucks but they are having problems with the powerstep communicating with their test truck.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Your dealer should have the tool to perform the needed pinion factor change assuming they have the latest software for their scan tool.
Last time I used this, you are asked to select the tire numbers from a list of tires. The scan tool then calculates new factor and writes it back to the controller.
Hopefully your tire type would be found on the tool menu.
My truck is getting close to arriving and my dealer may let me play with their scan tool. I think it is called WiTech.
They will most likely charge you to do this .

Last edited:

Pnorth

Reaction score
Your dealer should have the tool to perform the needed pinion factor change assuming they have the latest software for their scan tool.
Last time I used this, you are asked to select the tire numbers from a list of tires. The scan tool then calculates new factor and writes it back to the controller.
Hopefully your tire type would be found on the tool menu.
My truck is getting close to arriving and my dealer may let me play with their scan tool. I think it is called MOTIS.
They will most likely charge you to do this .
Or is it MODIS perhaps?

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score
My issues with these is that you set your truck up once (for most people) and then never use it again. We should do a group buy and share it!
I have the hypertech and recalibrated my speedometer yesterday in about 5 mins. U can also pay a fee to hypertech to upgrade it to tune a lot of settings on your truck. I have not upgraded yet because I'm curious how it will affect my warranty. In an earlier post I posted a link for it for $200, order from svcustoms.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread