5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any shifting issues on the highway between 7th and 8th gears? I should have ordered the 3.92 to accommodate the larger tires but missed that. I need to order my tires this week and am hung between the 295/60/20 and the 35/12.5./20 because of this and also dont want the truck to seem sluggish with the 35's. I m in NJ and its pretty flat so I'd think I should;d be ok. Im also going to throw on the pedal commander, CAI and Carven exhaust so that should give me a little pop. Your truck looks great. What offset did you do?

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Any shifting issues on the highway between 7th and 8th gears? I should have ordered the 3.92 to accommodate the larger tires but missed that. I need to order my tires this week and am hung between the 295/60/20 and the 35/12.5./20 because of this and also dont want the truck to seem sluggish with the 35's. I m in NJ and its pretty flat so I'd think I should;d be ok. Im also going to throw on the pedal commander, CAI and Carven exhaust so that should give me a little pop. Your truck looks great. What offset did you do?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score

The only time I have noticed it downshifting on the highway on relatively small inclines is when I had the whole family in the truck for a trip to flagstaff. So we had 5 passengers (500lbs) and gear in the back (maybe another couple hundred). That was before the speedo calibration. Haven’t really put any miles on it on the highway since.

As for the rims, I had the stock wheels on at first but there was some rubbing on the UCA’s so the dealer put in 1/4 inch spacers. I didn’t like the idea of spacers so I went with a +1 offset. So almost 3/4’s of an inch out from stock.

I’ll try to remember to post up my thoughts after I get some miles on it but it may be a while because it’s going into the shop this week to fix the ACC and FCW not working.

I really don’t mind the 3.21. I had a 16 Big Horn with the 3.92 and on the trips up the mountain in that truck it seemed to me that it ran at higher RPM’s going up the big hills. The 3.21 still has plenty of get up and go and just seems to run a little lower RPM’s on the same hills.

Edit: I also have the Pedal Commander but it is off right now because of trips to the dealer. My experience with the Pedal Commander is that it makes it feel a little more responsive off the line but in reality I probably wouldn’t buy it again.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only time I have noticed it downshifting on the highway on relatively small inclines is when I had the whole family in the truck for a trip to flagstaff. So we had 5 passengers (500lbs) and gear in the back (maybe another couple hundred). That was before the speedo calibration. Haven’t really put any miles on it on the highway since.

As for the rims, I had the stock wheels on at first but there was some rubbing on the UCA’s so the dealer put in 1/4 inch spacers. I didn’t like the idea of spacers so I went with a +1 offset. So almost 3/4’s of an inch out from stock.

I’ll try to remember to post up my thoughts after I get some miles on it but it may be a while because it’s going into the shop this week to fix the ACC and FCW not working.

I really don’t mind the 3.21. I had a 16 Big Horn with the 3.92 and on the trips up the mountain in that truck it seemed to me that it ran at higher RPM’s going up the big hills. The 3.21 still has plenty of get up and go and just seems to run a little lower RPM’s on the same hills.

Thanks...Id appreciate it if you would...Does it feel much more sluggish than with the stock set up? Not CAI or ehaust on your yet?

So with that +1 offset your tires stick out around an inch right?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Thanks...Id appreciate it if you would...Does it feel much more sluggish than with the stock set up? Not CAI or ehaust on your yet?

So with that +1 offset your tires stick out around an inch right?

I put on the FlowMaster FlowFX bolt on. No CAI. Maybe a little bit but I really don’t notice it. When I press on the gas there is still plenty of power to get up and go when needed. I really think the topic is way overplayed. I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Maybe around an inch or so. Tried to get a pic but the wheels were a little ****eyed.

6e6c04530fb58ae39eebe7b9e9d848c6.jpg

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put on the FlowMaster FlowFX bolt on. No CAI. Maybe a little bit but I really don’t notice it. When I press on the gas there is still plenty of power to get up and go when needed. I really think the topic is way overplayed. I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Maybe around an inch or so. Tried to get a pic but the wheels were a little ****eyed.

I agree....Thanks for the pic...Mine doesnt have the fender flares so Ill probably roll with the

Thanks I appreciate it...I think its overplayed as well. I get the 3.92 is better for towing but I dont. When I did the math for the 35's it says that a 3.44 is the correct ratio although we know they dont make it. Im bummed though because I thought the RC calibrator was supposed to adjust the shift points as well as the speedometer. Keep me posted on that.

I hope my truck turns out as nice as yours!!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree....Thanks for the pic...Mine doesnt have the fender flares so Ill probably roll with the

Thanks I appreciate it...I think its overplayed as well. I get the 3.92 is better for towing but I dont. When I did the math for the 35's it says that a 3.44 is the correct ratio although we know they dont make it. Im bummed though because I thought the RC calibrator was supposed to adjust the shift points as well as the speedometer. Keep me posted on that.

I hope my truck turns out as nice as yours!!
You had minor rubbing issues right?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
The rubbing was on the UCA’s on the inside of the tire. If you are keeping stock rims I probably wouldn’t do 35x12.5 or you will need spacers. 1/4 inch will clear but will be close.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rubbing was on the UCA’s on the inside of the tire. If you are keeping stock rims I probably wouldn’t do 35x12.5 or you will need spacers. 1/4 inch will clear but will be close.

No Im gonna do a 20x9 +1 offset on a 35/12.5/20 Ridge Grappler ...will I be ok? Im also doing the same 3.5in Readylift kit like you did.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Im going to do a Fuel Maverick

Then you will be good. No rubbing with that setup. It will look sweet too. I like that bead locker look. If you go too far out you have to start worrying about rubbing on the fenders.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On another note if you are planning on doing the Speedo and the Pedal Commander I see someone just posted their Pulsar fore sale in the Buy and Sell section. You could kill two birds with one stone and save a little coin.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/fs-pulsar-tuner-2019-ram-1500-5-7l-hemi-32453-430.6707/

This new pulsar isnt like the Diablo Sport Tuner I had on my 4th gen...I was able to adjust all parameters with it. I really believe that this Pulsar only affects the throttle body which is making the truck more responsive. The new computer is different and I dont want to take a chance of leaving a footprint just in case

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then you will be good. No rubbing with that setup. It will look sweet too. I like that bead locker look. If you go too far out you have to start worrying about rubbing on the fenders.

Cool...I dont really like the crazy negative offset look. If you take away the 1/2in or so for your fender flare our set ups should look pretty close when done.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think this would fit with the 3.5in RC lift? I wanted a +14 or so offset and it's only this or they advertise a "blank" bolt pattern but Im not sure what that means? I don't want any rubbing issues so might be forced to run the 295's

https://www.kmcwheels.com/wheel/27927/xd825-buck-25

82529067300 20" x 9"6x135.00 /6x139.7 005GLOSS BLACK MILLED- 0 offset

Wheeler

Reaction score
-12 offset here is picture. IMG_20190210_133611~3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_143153.jpg
    IMG_20190202_143153.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20190210_131934.jpg
    IMG_20190210_131934.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 69

Wheeler

Reaction score
3.21 gear need to trim plastic fender holder at the rear tip of fender and pushed front plastic liner with heat little bit to front. Was not holding 8th gear on Freeway with 36 PSI 14 mpg. Pumped up to 55 all four. No issue with 8th gear any more also getting 18 mpg cruising at 65. Keep in consideration speedometer is not calibrated. Should be +_20mpg in reality.

Last edited:

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.21 gear need to trim plastic fender holder at the rear tip of fender and pushed front plastic liner with heat little bit to front. Was not holding 8th gear on Freeway with 36 PSI 14 mpg. Pumped up to 55 all four. No issue with 8th gear any more also getting 18 mpg cruising at 65. Keep in consideration speedometer is not calibrated. Should be +_20mpg in reality.
Thanks....what is the recommended PSI? You running Ridge Grapplers?

Users who are viewing this thread