5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phiefer

Reaction score
Or is it MODIS perhaps?
I was originally wrong on the tools name and have corrected it as WiTech.

If it was my truck, I would have the dealers service department do mine, I doubt there are aftermarket tools certified to do this for the 2019 at this time.
Just guessing at the cost, but I would think your cost would be less than $75, since it is a simple software change, assuming WiTech itself is capable and supports your tire sizes.
Good luck on this and if others don't help you solve this by next week I will stop at my dealer and put their WiTech on a 2019 and see if the reprogramming support is there yet.

Last edited:

Pnorth

Reaction score
If we have a bit of patience we will se a lot of changes come Sema, I think. That goes for parts, tunes - all of it.

Phiefer

Reaction score
You are correct..MODIS, sorry.

If it was my truck, I would have the dealers service department do mine, I doubt there are aftermarket tools certified to do this for the 2019 at this time.
Just guessing at the cost, but I would think your cost would be less than $75, since it is a simple software change, assuming MODIS itself is capable and supports your tire sizes.
Good luck on this and if others don't help you solve this by next week I will stop at my dealer and put their MODIS on a 2019 and see if the reprogramming support is there yet.
I need to correct my own correction...OEM tool I was thinking of is WiTech. This is what the dealer shops use to make the pinion factor adjustments and other reflashes.
MODIS I believe is an aftermarket tool made by Snap-on.
I would want mine changed at the dealer shop using WiTech.

Agitated

Reaction score
There is so much misinformation in this thread it makes my head hurt.

The dealer absolutely cannot modify or change anything in regard to tire size right now. They do not have the capability as it is not in WITECH for 2019 model. Neither will MODIS. We tried.
You cannot use the hypertec module on multiple vehicles at the same time, it pairs itself to the specific truck during flashing.
There is no other option available at this time to modify the speedometer setting, other than Hypertec. I'm sure they'll be along, but it's the only game in town right now.
The Hypertec ONLY reflashes the speedometer settings at this time, they have no other programming to upgrade to.
You do not just simply plug in to the OBD-II port and reflash. The hypertech explains in the literature where you make connections, they are under the dash.
What you know about the 4th gen mods is not the same as the 5th gen as far as reflashing and electronics are concerned.

Reactions: c3k

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is so much misinformation in this thread it makes my head hurt.

The dealer absolutely cannot modify or change anything in regard to tire size right now. They do not have the capability as it is not in WITECH for 2019 model. Neither will MODIS. We tried.
You cannot use the hypertec module on multiple vehicles at the same time, it pairs itself to the specific truck during flashing.
There is no other option available at this time to modify the speedometer setting, other than Hypertec. I'm sure they'll be along, but it's the only game in town right now.
The Hypertec ONLY reflashes the speedometer settings at this time, they have no other programming to upgrade to.
You do not just simply plug in to the OBD-II port and reflash. The hypertech explains in the literature where you make connections, they are under the dash.
What you know about the 4th gen mods is not the same as the 5th gen as far as reflashing and electronics are concerned.
I don't know why FCA makes this so difficult! Surely they understand that lots of people modify their wheel and tire sizes to suit their needs. It seems to me that a huge selling point would be the ability to go into the Uconnect menu and add whatever their set up is.

Pnorth

Reaction score
You are correct..MODIS, sorry.

Just guessing at the cost, but I would think your cost would be less than $75, since it is a simple software change, assuming MODIS itself is capable and supports your tire sizes.
Good luck on this and if others don't help you solve this by next week I will stop at my dealer and put their MODIS on a 2019 and see if the reprogramming support is there yet.
No worries, I searched and found that it was modis and just wanted to let you know :)

Pnorth

Reaction score
I don't know why FCA makes this so difficult! Surely they understand that lots of people modify their wheel and tire sizes to suit their needs. It seems to me that a huge selling point would be the ability to go into the Uconnect menu and add whatever their set up is.
Eh... I think you need to do a little more research and see if you find any other manufacturer that gladly leaves their electronics open for any one from the uninformed armature to the highly specialized competitor open to screw around with. Imagine you yourself was this manufacturer and you had a security responsibility and a warranty responsibility and people started screwing around in your electronics... There is a very good reason they try to make this as difficult as possible. And yes, of course it can be argued that if you make a model that is doomed to be modified or if that is part of what the entire vehicle is all about for many then it should be easy... well it is, you buy the hypertec for a couple of hundred and you’re good to go. If that still seems difficult, we’ll then don’t do it.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the Hypertech web site and have the following question for users who do speedometer calibration with it, does the odometer stay in sync with speedometer after the cal?

icsammis

Reaction score
I have the hypertech and recalibrated my speedometer yesterday in about 5 mins. U can also pay a fee to hypertech to upgrade it to tune a lot of settings on your truck. I have not upgraded yet because I'm curious how it will affect my warranty. In an earlier post I posted a link for it for $200, order from svcustoms.

I just changed my wheel/Tire combo. Do you know if the wheel/tire change throws the MPG off as well as the Speedometer? I know I'll decrease MPG but I'm wondering if the new Lower MPG is actually accurate.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
My issues with these is that you set your truck up once (for most people) and then never use it again. We should do a group buy and share it!
When I did my 2013 Ram with the Hypertech you could reuse it IF you removed it from the original truck application. In other words, use the module on the same vehicle to reverse the calibration and then you could use again. I guess it is there way of insuring you only use it on one vehicle at a time

Twoamen

Reaction score
Yes, if it is flashed over by Service department, you got to jump through Hoops with Hypertech to recertify your unit. Pain in the ***, I mean come on how many Rams would you have available to bootleg a flash on. It isn't the easiest connectors to attach. The new connector is up under the front left dash. Right in front of your left knee. Very little space to plug in without removing the lower dash assembly. For that reason alone your not going to be robbing the company by flashing other vehicles.

egnarp

Reaction score
My Laramie arrived at the dealership today. I'm having them up-size the tires from a 55 to 60 series. When I asked the Service manager if he could re-calibrate the speedometer to match the 275/60-20s, he said no problem. When I pick up the truck later this week, I'll see if that's true.

egnarp

Reaction score
My Laramie arrived at the dealership today. I'm having them up-size the tires from a 55 to 60 series. When I asked the Service manager if he could re-calibrate the speedometer to match the 275/60-20s, he said no problem. When I pick up the truck later this week, I'll see if that's true.

Update..... I picked up my truck today with the upsized tires, but the Service Dept. was not able to recalibrate my speedometer.

Users who are viewing this thread