5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see on a Ram towing website it says 6370lbs. Does that mean before adding anything onto it? Do I also need to include passengers in the truck when calculating trailer weight? Finally, what weight/length of trailer would you guys recommend

1) no, that means 6370 lvsloaded
2) passenger weight is calculated into payload

Weight is going to limit you more than length. I’d look for <5,000 lbs GVWR

Gazza

Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience: I own a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited - 3.92 rear axle, 1295 PayLoad, 11590 towing capacity. Everything was great with my 22’ Sonic Travel Trailer fully loaded around 4,500 lbs. towed like a dream barely felt the trailer back there and did around 6,000 miles this year. And then let’s up grade she said, well so did me, bought a SportTrek 28.4 feet - 6060 UVW and a hitch weight of 770 - which in my ignorance I only noticed a few weeks later at home ( two air conditioners). GVW is around 7,200 lbs fully loaded - tows great. BUT and it a big BUT, darn Payload. Bought a tongue weight scale and without water it was 950 lbs - so i moved things around and it reduced to 850lbs of tongue weight. In summary - just my opinion - it is impossible to be within the PAYLOAD on a Ram 1500 limited if your trailer is over 28 feet. Unless you take two cars, no water. Weigh your tongue weight you will be surprised no amount how you assume the percentage tongue weight vs the weight of the trailer. So the moral of the story is I got a fantastic trade-in and bought a 2500. An expensive lesson

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience: I own a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited - 3.92 rear axle, 1295 PayLoad, 11590 towing capacity. Everything was great with my 22’ Sonic Travel Trailer fully loaded around 4,500 lbs. towed like a dream barely felt the trailer back there and did around 6,000 miles this year. And then let’s up grade she said, well so did me, bought a SportTrek 28.4 feet - 6060 UVW and a hitch weight of 770 - which in my ignorance I only noticed a few weeks later at home ( two air conditioners). GVW is around 7,200 lbs fully loaded - tows great. BUT and it a big BUT, darn Payload. Bought a tongue weight scale and without water it was 950 lbs - so i moved things around and it reduced to 850lbs of tongue weight. In summary - just my opinion - it is impossible to be within the PAYLOAD on a Ram 1500 limited if your trailer is over 28 feet. Unless you take two cars, no water. Weigh your tongue weight you will be surprised no amount how you assume the percentage tongue weight vs the weight of the trailer. So the moral of the story is I got a fantastic trade-in and bought a 2500. An expensive lesson
Why??? Did you run it over truck scales? Weren't you under payload?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, hitch weight is a killer for us Limited drivers. Wish I had know how much payload I was going to lose for my dual-pane pano, I might have skipped it.

That being said, I've been calculating for a loaded TW of 200lbs over whatever the OEM's have listed as the dry hitch weight for any given trailer, and that seems to be pretty consistently what people get up to when they scale it (i.e. you went from 770 to 950 so +180lbs). So if I've got a trailer with a dry hitch 200lbs under that (570, like the Apex and Alpha I'm looking at), I should be in good shape.

testcrewman

Reaction score
If you have
WDH is recommended for over 500 tongue weight and 5000lb trailer.

You would not need the WDH. But you should hit a CAT scale to make sure you haven't removed to much weight from the front axle. Especially if you also loaded the bed at the rear.

You need weight on that front axle for steering and braking
I have a 2022 Laramie with the air-ride suspension. If you have a 3,000lb trailer and don't use a WDH, will the air-ride suspension automatically adjust raising the back end back to normal ride height, thus putting weight back on the front end? Essentially doing what a WDH would do? Pardon my ignorance, for the past 6 years, I have been towing a 12,000lb fifth wheel with a Ford SD. Wanted to downsize both since we are no longer full-timing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have

I have a 2022 Laramie with the air-ride suspension. If you have a 3,000lb trailer and don't use a WDH, will the air-ride suspension automatically adjust raising the back end back to normal ride height, thus putting weight back on the front end? Essentially doing what a WDH would do? Pardon my ignorance, for the past 6 years, I have been towing a 12,000lb fifth wheel with a Ford SD. Wanted to downsize both since we are no longer full-timing.
Not sure your meaning if like a WDH

But with a 3000lb trailer...you do not need a WDH.

The air suspension will level the truck and you can use it to hook up the trailer without using the jack...if you want...

Your truck will barely know a 3000 lb trailer is there

I doubt you will move any weight from the front end.

So you will have no need for how the Web transfer weight if that is what you mean...and no..the air suspension dies not do that...but will level any sag the truck may take.

sessman

Reaction score
Hello, super new to the towing game, never towed a trailer but want to look into purchasing something reasonable for my family (2 adults, 2 young kids, 1 big dog).

I put my VIN # into the towing calculator on RAM's website and these are my numbers:

MAX PAYLOAD LB: 1,543( Disclosure

MAX TOWING LB: 11,443

What range of trailer (length/weight) should I be looking at? Obviously I want the trailer to be as roomy as possible but want to have zero concerns with safety.

Thank you!!!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not one to ask about size. We did 2 adults 3 kids and one big dog 20141008_193628.jpg
With a 24 foot camper for years...(still have the camper...one kid is now an adult and the dog passed on). So...it can be done...but most seem to need a 36 footer for 2 adults.

We spend most of our time out of the camper(except bed time and inclement weather)

All that said. You being new should stay under 28 foot and 6500lb GVWR. BUT, my opinion is in the minority.

You got a good payload. You do have options. But also remember...towing can be a chore...get something you feel comfortable with.

And also...have you ever been camping? It sure seems fun, but it is not for everyone.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, super new to the towing game, never towed a trailer but want to look into purchasing something reasonable for my family (2 adults, 2 young kids, 1 big dog).

I put my VIN # into the towing calculator on RAM's website and these are my numbers:

MAX PAYLOAD LB: 1,543( Disclosure

MAX TOWING LB: 11,443

What range of trailer (length/weight) should I be looking at? Obviously I want the trailer to be as roomy as possible but want to have zero concerns with safety.

Thank you!!!
Others can provide more specifics and details but basically:

Payload is the key number. You will hit that way before you hit your max tow.

The "Dry Hitch Weight" that TT mfg's list on their websites is a magical nothing burger. Loaded hitch weight is what matters and that will include the dry hitch, batteries, propane tanks, and your Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). Speaking of which...

A WDH is pretty much a must when towing anything over 3,500lbs loaded (which a TT big enough for a family of 4 will be). They control sway and spread the weight pressing down on your hitch out to the trailer axel, and toward the front axle of your truck, so it's not excessively concentrated. People around here like the Equalizer, but there's many different brands that are better or worse with various different aspects.

A stronger sway bar helps, and is something pretty much everyone here will tell you is a must-do mod (even if you're not towing). Hellwig has this market cornered.

LT ties may or may not be needed. Some people swear by them, others insist they're overkill. If you have XL-rated tires already, my advice would be to try with them first and see how things feel. If you feel like even with a Hellwig sway bar and dialed in WDH you're getting too much sway and lean around curves, consider LT tires. Tow mirrors are in a similar category.

Now the preachy stuff...

Changes lanes as infrequently as you can. However fast you think is comfortable, drive 5 MPH under that. Pull over in heavy rain/strong winds. Be extra conscious of anything on the road bigger than you (i.e. tractor trailers). And make sure you enjoy the drive! If you find you can't, you might need a bigger truck (or a smaller trailer).

Speaking of trailers, with just a very surface-level read off of your numbers, you'd want to stay with a dry hitch weight under 800lbs, and length under 32 feet. The dry and loaded weight of the trailer is a whole nother topic and I've rambled enough as it is and will let someone else handle that. Everyone here was super helpful to me, and they will be to you as well!

sessman

Reaction score
I am not one to ask about size. We did 2 adults 3 kids and one big dog View attachment 114512
With a 24 foot camper for years...(still have the camper...one kid is now an adult and the dog passed on). So...it can be done...but most seem to need a 36 footer for 2 adults.

We spend most of our time out of the camper(except bed time and inclement weather)

All that said. You being new should stay under 28 foot and 6500lb GVWR. BUT, my opinion is in the minority.

You got a good payload. You do have options. But also remember...towing can be a chore...get something you feel comfortable with.

And also...have you ever been camping? It sure seems fun, but it is not for everyone.
Good points and I appreciate the input. I grew up camping in a small Coleman pop-up tent trailer every summer near Mount Shasta in NorCal. Great memories that I would like my kids to experience as well.

sessman

Reaction score
Others can provide more specifics and details but basically:

Payload is the key number. You will hit that way before you hit your max tow.

The "Dry Hitch Weight" that TT mfg's list on their websites is a magical nothing burger. Loaded hitch weight is what matters and that will include the dry hitch, batteries, propane tanks, and your Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). Speaking of which...

A WDH is pretty much a must when towing anything over 3,500lbs loaded (which a TT big enough for a family of 4 will be). They control sway and spread the weight pressing down on your hitch out to the trailer axel, and toward the front axle of your truck, so it's not excessively concentrated. People around here like the Equalizer, but there's many different brands that are better or worse with various different aspects.

A stronger sway bar helps, and is something pretty much everyone here will tell you is a must-do mod (even if you're not towing). Hellwig has this market cornered.

LT ties may or may not be needed. Some people swear by them, others insist they're overkill. If you have XL-rated tires already, my advice would be to try with them first and see how things feel. If you feel like even with a Hellwig sway bar and dialed in WDH you're getting too much sway and lean around curves, consider LT tires. Tow mirrors are in a similar category.

Now the preachy stuff...

Changes lanes as infrequently as you can. However fast you think is comfortable, drive 5 MPH under that. Pull over in heavy rain/strong winds. Be extra conscious of anything on the road bigger than you (i.e. tractor trailers). And make sure you enjoy the drive! If you find you can't, you might need a bigger truck (or a smaller trailer).

Speaking of trailers, with just a very surface-level read off of your numbers, you'd want to stay with a dry hitch weight under 800lbs, and length under 32 feet. The dry and loaded weight of the trailer is a whole nother topic and I've rambled enough as it is and will let someone else handle that. Everyone here was super helpful to me, and they will be to you as well!
Thank you so much for all of this info, REALLY helpful. Quick question, I assume you meant 8,000lbs not 800lbs, correct?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of this info, REALLY helpful. Quick question, I assume you meant 8,000lbs not 800lbs, correct?
No. He meant 800 for hitch weight. Which you want that to be 12 to 15 % of trailer weight so about 6500 GVWR. 32 feet is a long sail behind a 1500...but that is what everyone wants. I still suggest 28 foot...not only for ease of towing...but sites over 30 foot...they book fast...and camping is real popular with people booking a year or more in advance for the larger sites

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, 800lbs dry hitch weight.

In general, if you stay under that dry hitch, your loaded hitch should be within your payload limits (depending on how much the 4 of you weigh, and how much stuff you want to put in the truck itself). If you're within your payload limits, the dry (and then in turn loaded) weight of the trailer should be comfortable, and well within safety limits.

What @devildodge said haha. And I can't disagree with that, a 30-footer is doable but he's right, it's definitely pushing it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overestimate I'd say ~460lbs

1543 - 460 = 1,083
- 50 lbs two car seats
- 75 lbs WDH
= 958 lbs

That’s a solid number to work with, it comes down to how comfortable you are towing. Looks for dry tongue weight of <650 lbs

Maximum comfort, stay <30’ and <7,000 lbs GVWR.

If you want something a little bigger but pushing the boundaries of a 1/2 ton then <34’ and <8,000 lbs GVWR is it

sessman

Reaction score
1543 - 460 = 1,083
- 50 lbs two car seats
- 75 lbs WDH
= 958 lbs

That’s a solid number to work with, it comes down to how comfortable you are towing. Looks for dry tongue weight of <650 lbs

Maximum comfort, stay <30’ and <7,000 lbs GVWR.

If you want something a little bigger but pushing the boundaries of a 1/2 ton then <34’ and <8,000 lbs GVWR is it
This is what I needed, thank you! Do camper dealers typically advertise the dry tongue weight? I feel like I only see the total trailer weight on the listing. I found a 28.5' around 6,000 lbs, sounds like I will be super comfortable with that?

Do you also think I need the upgraded hellwig sway?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I needed, thank you! Do camper dealers typically advertise the dry tongue weight? I feel like I only see the total trailer weight on the listing. I found a 28.5' around 6,000 lbs, sounds like I will be super comfortable with that?

Do you also think I need the upgraded hellwig sway?
I dont think they put dry tongue weights on the campers anywhere, I’ve been to a few dealerships in the past month and never saw a sticker for it but I could be wrong, I do know that newer campers have their specific dry weight listed in the inside the door jam.

As for hellwig, it was one of my favorite mods I’ve done so far, and I think any improvement in sway control is a nice comfort for towing campers!

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many of you calculate your fuel load in reducing payload? Anyone? Well, you do NOT have to if you do. The payload is figured "including all fluids." So, for some, particularly those with lower payloads, this is important. AND, don't forget a dry hitch weight does NOT include your propane tanks or batteries OR your weight distribution hitch.

These two "issues" are the ones I see as the most confusing for NEWER people to towing. So, pick up a couple hundred lbs by not worrying about your fuel load and lose it by accurately figuring your tongue weight... Two group 24 batteries and two full 30 lb propane tanks are right at 200 lbs (195 to be exact.) A gallon of gas is right at 8 lbs so do the math based upon gas tank size if you want to get specific. If you have the 23 gallon tank, AND TOW, you will be stopping about every hour just so you know. The 26 gallon isn't much better. A 33 gallon will get you around 30 to 45 minutes more between stops for fuel. Based upon my experience having had both, the difference between a 3.21 and 3.92 rear end on fuel WHILE TOWING is neglible. The 3.92 is "better" when towing, but the 3.21 is just fine as long as you are not maxing out your weight, but if you are doing that, then you are likely OVER payload. I had a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 3.92 and 5.7 hemi and the 3.55 rear end and personally think that is the best mix imho. I wish the 3.55 was an option for the 5.7. I shoot for about 80 to 85% of my total towing weight for a trailer and am fine towing at max payload. This is simply my opinion from 16 years towing with various size rigs behind me and three different trucks and an SUV.

This website (fixed quite awhile ago) will tell you your truck's payload by VIN number. https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html Click on "Look up my vehicle" and there it is... If you want, you can double check by doing the math on your sticker on your truck. IGNORE the tables, charts and graphs.

AND remember, salesmen seldom know squat about towing and concentrate on what the literature says and it generally says you can tow the eiffel tower, no problem... NEVER believe a salesman. Get the VIN and look THE SPECIFIC truck up.

Edit: OH and read this thread all the way through.
I’m probably the only one here that calculates fuel weight… since I have a 50 gallon aux tank in the bed🤣, I completely Decimated my payload with a full tank but I don’t intend on owning a big camper, I’ve got about 1100 pounds of payload left after filling the tank, also jut a heads up a gallon of gas is 6.3 pounds/ gallon ( water is 8 ) :)

Users who are viewing this thread