5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration when turning and braking

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have same issue. Almost feels like it is a modulation in the steering when taking low turn corners..and I believe while under breaking at times to...a slow turn under braking. I took to Ram dealer and since I can’t recreate it they won’t do anything about it. Coming up to my bumper to bumper warranty expiration at 36k. Very worried. What to do and have you found root cause of this yet?

I notice something almost similar, except not under braking. Usually low speed turns, I can feel the modulation in the steering wheel. I'm almost sure it's my tires. I should find out soon.

Mobcars

Reaction score
Same here, I heard a noise or feel a little trembling when driving my brother thinks I need to replace my brake drum.

Chris14925

Reaction score
I notice something almost similar, except not under braking. Usually low speed turns, I can feel the modulation in the steering wheel. I'm almost sure it's my tires. I should find out soon.
For what it worth, once I replaced the stock tires, the issue disappeared. Not a fan of Goodyear!

Nighthorn

Reaction score
I experiencing this issue as well. Mine is two parted.

1. Slight vibration in steering wheel in lower speed range of 20-30 mph. Vibration usually begins when I let my foot off the accelerator and is more apparent first thing on my way to work when the truck is cold.

2. Wobble in the steering wheel when taking highway on/off ramps and winding roads in the 30-65 mph range.

2020 Ram Big Horn with 15,000 miles.
Such a shame because this truck is so great except for these issues. Something is definitely not right.
I’ve had the truck aligned and wheels and tires road force balanced.

truck is currently at the dealer for the second time and they cannot replicate.

ScottW19

Reaction score
My truck has picked up a steering wheel vibration when I am slowing down and turning right. I am not sure, but I think it started to happen after a tire rotation by the dealer. Going to have it looked at soon. Most notable when turning into my driveway.

2019 Laramie 4/4 V8

RamCares

Reaction score
I experiencing this issue as well. Mine is two parted.

1. Slight vibration in steering wheel in lower speed range of 20-30 mph. Vibration usually begins when I let my foot off the accelerator and is more apparent first thing on my way to work when the truck is cold.

2. Wobble in the steering wheel when taking highway on/off ramps and winding roads in the 30-65 mph range.

2020 Ram Big Horn with 15,000 miles.
Such a shame because this truck is so great except for these issues. Something is definitely not right.
I’ve had the truck aligned and wheels and tires road force balanced.

truck is currently at the dealer for the second time and they cannot replicate.

My truck has picked up a steering wheel vibration when I am slowing down and turning right. I am not sure, but I think it started to happen after a tire rotation by the dealer. Going to have it looked at soon. Most notable when turning into my driveway.

2019 Laramie 4/4 V8
Hello everyone, we understand how this vibration may be concerning! If you would like additional support throughout your dealer service, please let us know and we would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf through private messaging.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

EasternRebel

Reaction score
2019 Rebel Crew Cab here. I've got almost 16k on my stock truck. I have been experiencing the vibration for about the last 5k miles. It's mostly apparent when turning at low speeds in my driveway. However, I feel there's generally more "road feel" coming through the steering wheel at all times. I can feel the turning vibration in the steering wheel and somewhat through the pedal/floor. It doesn't affect drivability, but it definitely not as smooth/quiet as it was 10k miles ago. I confirmed tire pressure, wheel lug torque with no change. Part of me thinks there's merit in the tire direction, but this seems to be affecting all ranges of 5th gen 1500s, which have different tire/wheel packages from the factory. I'm not a mechanic, but have worked on plenty of vehicles over the years. To me this feels like a steering issue. I'll be direct messaging @RamCares to see what steps should be taken before taking it to the dealer. I've been through too many "no problem found" situations with dealers to have any faith they'll find the issue on their own.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
2019 Rebel Crew Cab here. I've got almost 16k on my stock truck. I have been experiencing the vibration for about the last 5k miles. It's mostly apparent when turning at low speeds in my driveway. However, I feel there's generally more "road feel" coming through the steering wheel at all times. I can feel the turning vibration in the steering wheel and somewhat through the pedal/floor. It doesn't affect drivability, but it definitely not as smooth/quiet as it was 10k miles ago. I confirmed tire pressure, wheel lug torque with no change. Part of me thinks there's merit in the tire direction, but this seems to be affecting all ranges of 5th gen 1500s, which have different tire/wheel packages from the factory. I'm not a mechanic, but have worked on plenty of vehicles over the years. To me this feels like a steering issue. I'll be direct messaging @RamCares to see what steps should be taken before taking it to the dealer. I've been through too many "no problem found" situations with dealers to have any faith they'll find the issue on their own.

I have the same issue, turned out to be the tires, at least for me. Those aggressive Duratracs, especially after sitting a few days (and slightly flat spotting), seemed to created a steering feedback while turning. If it goes away as your tires get up to temp, then it could be the tires.

However, since you only started to notice it after 10,000 miles of driving, the steering and/or differential could very well be your issue. Hopefully the dealership can figure it out.

ravenger

Reaction score
I'm having the same exact problem with my 2019 Laramie with 30k miles on stock 20s. Feel a weird vibration on the pedal and steering when taking a slow right turn. Happens randomly.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Mine was only doing it when turning right, it's now done it twice turning left.

My front tires have started to feather a bit on the outer block of tread

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

ravenger

Reaction score
Well I took my truck to get looked at and of course they couldn't reproduce the issue but he did look into it and they are aware of the problem. Just no solution yet. I took a copy of the case number if anyone is interested in looking into it.

Attachments

• 16239434877167889541350804524230.jpg
    16239434877167889541350804524230.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 43

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Are these the noises you guys are getting?

If so, I took my truck to the dealer 3 times and they never replicated the issue. Got in contact with RamCares and that motivated them to try a little harder the fourth time. Dealer told me FCA engineers were aware of the problem but there’s no fix for it yet and that is the answer they are supposed to give according to their service bulletin.

However, After searching the forum, it seems some dealers tried to fix the problem their own way. users reported the dealer replacing rack and pinions, LSD (limited slip differential) fluid, rear carrier bearings, axles, tires, the list goes on.

For myself, I just made sure the dealer recorded the problem while I was completely stock, so they couldn’t blame my wheel/suspension setup in the future. I replaced my shocks, wheels, UCAs, and tires all at once and haven’t heard the noise since. I don’t think the issue is fixed. I think something changed enough to mask the problem for now and I’m hoping there will be a recall soon.
My buddy's truck has this same exact problem. The sound in your video is exactly what his makes and only when turning right. FCA has no fix and at this point he's so frustrated with them for not wanting to try anything he's following up with going the lemon law route since he's had it in so many times for the problem. I just don't understand why they won't just try something, anything. Replace the rack and pinion, replace the fluid, do something. Have the different dealerships keep track of what's fixing the problem. Maybe it will end up coming down to it being just a tire issue, but then they'll know the stock tires they're putting on their trucks are horrible.

Jghallis

Reaction score
I’m here for the same reason. I have a 2019 limited 4x4 with just under 16k miles on it. I noticed this same vibration a few thousand miles ago. The dealer says it’s the rack and pinion and the part alone is $2500. I purchased the truck in October 2019 with 6k miles on it. It was previously a demo that a Chrysler executive drove sparingly. So get this ****; because the demo was given to him in January 2018, the dealer is telling me my warranty expired 6 months ago in January 2021. The service tech said he’s going to try and get his manager to override this due to how low the miles are on the truck. After reading this thread there is no chance I’m dropping $3k on a solution that may not fix this issue. I would welcome all the help I can get from Ramcare on this.

Jghallis

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we understand how this vibration may be concerning! If you would like additional support throughout your dealer service, please let us know and we would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf through private messaging.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Yes, I welcome all the help I can get on this issue. What would be the next step?

laborers

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 has the same kind of issue. It has vibration or modulation 10 to 15 mph when turning 90 degrees left turn. It has had the problem since new. The dealer tells me every time that they can not replicate the problem. It does it roughly 6 to 10 times a day.

Joshwhembree

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 has the same kind of issue. It has vibration or modulation 10 to 15 mph when turning 90 degrees left turn. It has had the problem since new. The dealer tells me every time that they can not replicate the problem. It does it roughly 6 to 10 times a day.
Mine 2019 does same thing u can feel it vibrate thru the brake pedal too I got under mine and found that the back of the caliper rubs the lower control arm on my passenger side it’s has grinded a whole chunk of metal off

Attachments

• CB5B5998-AA17-4A43-AD6D-1CDA681F22B2.jpeg
    CB5B5998-AA17-4A43-AD6D-1CDA681F22B2.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 7BEB18DA-5463-4A15-A2EF-5B656621102C.jpeg
    7BEB18DA-5463-4A15-A2EF-5B656621102C.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 47

chois

Reaction score
HI all -

I have been experiencing the same grinding vibration in the steering system on low speed right turns - in a neighborhood, or pulling away from an intersection - with our 2019 Big Horn, crew, 5.7, 4wd as well. It started doing it in the first six months of ownership, and just did it again today to my wife at 35,000 miles and 2 years. It has been very intermittent the entire time, but has happened 10-12 times at least with both me and my wife driving. Maybe happening a few times in a row at most.

We have brought it to two dealers who have both said there was no issue. The last one did mention that they have replaced some steering racks for something that sounds like what I described, but they were unwilling to consider that option when they did not replicate the issue.

I just filed a complaint with the NHTSA on the issue. These trucks have a LOT of kinetic energy when rolling down the road. I'm not OK with FCA just waiting for a steering system component to fail, and lose control of that energy before doing something about it.

jfleming

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue. Dealership I bought it from hasn’t heard at the issue and of course could t recreate the issue.

brettguercio

Reaction score
My 19 did this bad now my 21 dose it :(

66ss

Reaction score
My 2019 bighorn (bought March of 19) 20,000 miles in the clock does this as well! Exactly like the video posted above. Audible vibration noise felt through the steering wheel! I’m a hot rodder and this very clearly a rack issue or a steering assist issue. Very upsetting as I ordered the truck to my specs and wanted 3 months for it!
Side note my truck came with Nexan tires. Not good years. At first I liked them better Bc they didn’t seem to dry rot like the crap good years. But now I am noticing they are wearing the outside edge bad.
trucks never towed a thing. 20,000 miles in 30 months I baby this damn thing!

Users who are viewing this thread