5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration when turning and braking

xian

Reaction score
I posted this to the "grinding noise while steering" thread, but what you guys are describing was happening to me and it was the differential fluid. I copied my other post:

In my 2019, I had a similar grinding noise when making low speed turns (90 degree turns mostly), worse when there was an incline/decline, noticeable at low speed. Unfortunately it wouldn't always happen, it was intermittent which is the worst kind of problem.

I was convinced it was something wrong with the steering, I could feel it through the steering wheel. Took to dealer, couldn't reproduce. Took the service manager for a short ride and he noticed right away. It felt a lot like when 4WD is active and on dry pavement, and the steering shudders (it was in 2WD)

They replaced the differential fluid (it was reported low), added an "additive", and now appears to be fixed. I haven't had time to test it extensively yet, but a few days of "so far so good".

rleggette

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie Sport at the dealer today with the same issue. Saw the tech drive and shake his head couldn't hear the noise. You could hear as he drove out of the lot. My first Ram in 15 years. Back to Fords.

Havana Joe

Reaction score
The sound posted in the videos earlier in the thread are the exact sound i am getting from my steering when turning right at low speeds.....i am glad to see i am not alone hearing things.

stevensmith2859

Reaction score
Good morning, I am getting this from my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn. I had it into the dealership and they completed the TSB on the steering components and that did nothing to correct the issue. Its a terrible vibration/sticking/etc. when turning in forward/reverse. The truck has less than 14,500 miles on it, so the warranty is good, however, I think the issue has something to do with the rear. My wife and I do pull a camper few times a year, we actually upgraded to this one from our 2017 because the 2021 has the 3.92 rear and gave us MUCH more room on our max towing capacity. This is my daily driver and it does not do it in a straight line, however, where do I go from here? I want this entered into the VIN from the factory so we wont have any issues with them claiming warranty issues, etc. Truck is bone stock. It seems like the issue was from bad fluid in the rear diff?

Reaction score
So I had the slow speed full turn rumble as reported in several of the posts and it gradually got worse. Noting that it went away as the vehicle warmed I dropped it off at the dealer the night before and left explicit instructions to check for the problem promptly on the first cold start. The next day of course the tech wrote up "can't reproduce", so I let it sit another night at the stealership and repeated the test, this time in the presence of the shop foreman who was at the wheel. The truck did its shimmy and he immediately started blaming the tires trying to rope me into buying something I didn't need. I countered with the rear-end theory, and the sales pitch seamlessly switched to the 30K service, which included an oil & additive swap for the anti-spin diff. Eager to prove the scoundrel wrong I foolishly agreed to the outrageously over priced $2,400 work order, and even tried too late to weasle out of it. The result? Problem solved, and I though poorer and wiser stand vindicated.

Moral of the story: if you have the LSD and tow you might need to more regularly slop out its juices and heaven forbid don't forget adding the special sauce that goes with it!

Croaker

Reaction score
I first noticed the vibration/chugging when backing and a tight turn. I just hooked up my trailer for the first time and the vibration happens when going straight and pulling a load. It looks like something is wrong. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Jhill42

Reaction score
bought my ‘19 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7 a couple months ago, currently 46k miles. Same vibration/noise but only when turning left, specifically hard left before backing into my driveway. Only happens at low speed but seems to have worsened with cooler morning temps. Dealer where I purchased it had just put new tires on and I assumed it was rub on the fender shroud, but no evidence of that and with truck parked and wheels all the way to left there is plenty of clearance. I’ve read all the posts and there are a number of “fixes” but is there a recall on this? If not, WHY? My last Ram (Dodge) truck was a 2003 and it had rear end issues so I got rid of it and swore I’d never buy another, but I went to replace my F150 at my Ford dealer and made the mistake of driving the Ram. Love the truck but now my confidence is shattered…again. Any updates that might help me as the truck is beyond the 3/36k warranty?

Reaction score
Do you have a limited slip diff? If so do the service and make sure the special additive is added to keep the LSD from locking up prematurely.

Users who are viewing this thread