5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

Tlaug01

Reaction score
BOOM! SON!! Same here. Suction cup worked as advertised lol! You can go to your local Walmart and buy this suction cup in the link it was about $8.50 it’s a bit scary how hard you have to pull but it works!

Thanks to all the awesome people in this community couldn’t have done it without your help. Here’s some pictures and the link

View attachment 20977 View attachment 20978 View attachment 20979 View attachment 20980 View attachment 20981
Are your caps bright white or ivory? I cant seem to find bright white

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Another (Suction Cup) success. Ditto to everything said above especially the part about the force required to get the mirror out. For $65 one of the best mods you can do View attachment 22301

What process did you use to remove the adhesive residue when you removed your “RAM” emblems? I’m finding it very stubborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trixdesigns

Reaction score
What process did you use to remove the adhesive residue when you removed your “RAM” emblems? I’m finding it very stubborn.

I'm not the one who posted, but I just did mine today. I used a plastic trim tool to help remove the black rubberized sticky stuff (there's also some rubber razors you can get), this left bits of it behind as well as the adhesive. I then used a 3M adhesive removal wheel (like $25 at pep boys on sale). Then finally cleaned the area with some goo gone gel and then some detail spray (just to make sure I got all the goo gone off the truck).

While the 3M wheel isn't necessary it turned what likely would have been an hour and stack of paper towels into a 5 minute process.

805ad4730a3f98a5ebd66c81339be9cf.jpg

Rambro23

Reaction score
I'm not the one who posted, but I just did mine today. I used a plastic trim tool to help remove the black rubberized sticky stuff (there's also some rubber razors you can get), this left bits of it behind as well as the adhesive. I then used a 3M adhesive removal wheel (like $25 at pep boys on sale). Then finally cleaned the area with some goo gone gel and then some detail spray (just to make sure I got all the goo gone off the truck).

While the 3M wheel isn't necessary it turned what likely would have been an hour and stack of paper towels into a 5 minute process.

805ad4730a3f98a5ebd66c81339be9cf.jpg

Amen to the 3M wheel! Cuts down the effort on removing the leftover adhesive big time!!!

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Another successful install using suction cup method to the mirror. I now have granite mirror color instead of the chrome. Thanks for pointing this trick out and giving me faith I could DIY. I asked the dealer to price it out. They told me about 2 hours or $200. I said I'd go about it another way. It literally took me 10-15 mins per side and I was going slow.

bln15

Reaction score

after getting off as much as possible by heating and "rolling" with your fingers use goo gone with a clean rag. The worst one by far is the ram head on the tailgate which I switched to black

myram2019

Reaction score
Finally warmed up and I had enough courage to attempt this. It does take a good amount of pulling power to remove. I did successfully remove and install both mirrors with no casualties. The suction cup method is definitely the only way to go. Also the black wires were on the outer post and black/blue was the inner post. I didn’t disconnect the mirror from the wires, it hung in there pretty well. Good luck guys.

chrisboy68

Reaction score
Suction cup process worked great. Definitely heat the mirror first. I’m in Florida and even at 80 degrees out I couldn’t get it off in a few pulls. Hit it with a heat gun on high for about 2 min and pop on first try.

Thanks for all the guidance in this thread !

geotex1

Reaction score
Look at this! I've been away for awhile because of work overseas and you guys come up with a slick solution! (y)

MascotteBear

Reaction score
Suction Cup method successful again, clean with the Granite Crystal mirror caps. Thanks to everyone who posted about this method!

marcd118

Reaction score
I just did mine as well and the suction cup worked like a charm. I couldnt tell how the wires go back in so I did the solid black nearest the truck and blue/black wire outside. I hope this will work.

MascotteBear

Reaction score
I just did mine as well and the suction cup worked like a charm. I couldnt tell how the wires go back in so I did the solid black nearest the truck and blue/black wire outside. I hope this will work.

That’s what I did too and everything seems to be working fine, good luck!

tac842

Reaction score
Yikes. Thanks for the warning. Where did you get the caps, and what was the part number? Interested, and might get them painted body color.
About to change my black mirror covers with chrome. A lot of good info here. Thanks

tac842

Reaction score
What type of suction cup did you use?

PrISM

Reaction score
I think I'll attempt this today using the suction cup method. Any other tips besides heating the mirror before pulling? Thanks.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm about to attempt this myself.

Just to be absolutely clear; you heat up the shiny reflective piece of the mirror (right?) with a heat gun/hair dryer for a few minutes, then put the suction cup removal tool on the shiny reflective piece of the mirror; say a prayer, then pull??

mike12193

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt this myself.

Just to be absolutely clear; you heat up the shiny reflective piece of the mirror (right?) with a heat gun/hair dryer for a few minutes, then put the suction cup removal tool on the shiny reflective piece of the mirror; say a prayer, then pull??

In my case I turned the mirror all the way to one side and heated up the space behind the mirror and the housing to get behind the mirror. I then took the suction cup on the center of the mirror and pulled, it took a bit of force to the point where I thought it was going to break but it did come off. I don’t know if all trim levels have them but Just be careful because there are two wires there with crimp on connectors attached to the rear of the mirror that you don’t want to break. Remove the one screw and gently moves the clips to release the mirror cap.

Users who are viewing this thread