5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

cjmst23

Reaction score
Good idea, but there’s a screw you need to access from the front (mirror side).
I'm hoping that once I clear enough of the chrome cap away, I'll be able to remove the mirror by freeing the clips from behind. Then I can access the screw for removal of the chrome (what's left of It) and installation of the painted caps.

geotex1

Reaction score
I'm hoping that once I clear enough of the chrome cap away, I'll be able to remove the mirror by freeing the clips from behind. Then I can access the screw for removal of the chrome (what's left of It) and installation of the painted caps.

No go. There's no access.

Dodson

Reaction score
I took the plunge and thought i would give this a try...... I got the mirror off without breaking up but somehow I think I didn’t do it right.
Where did you get the grey caps?

macallien

Reaction score
OK.... What was the trick? I've been putting this off for weeks out of fear of having to pay $320 to replace the broken mirrors.
Same here! Thinking about tackling this over the weekend.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Good luck, did my driver mirror first, came off with no breakage. Now my confidence was up, did the exact same thing to my passenger side and pop/crack goes the mirror, cracks all the way across. Josh at Avondale got me a replacement glass. I had a small pressure pad with a hand-pump used to pry open a car window to try and use a tool to release the lock. I used that to apply a more equal pressure to the back of the mirror. Applied pressure slowly and gently pried with my fingers. Worked once but not twice. I think no matter how you do it, it is a gamble. Some have had complete success but the majority have broken at least one glass and it appears to usually be the passenger side.

Huskymush

Reaction score
Well just completed this and I failed(broken glass) on both sides. Any tips on Reinstallation after I get replacements? These seem so brittle compared to others that I've worked on. Would hate to break the new ones during installation.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I’ve been sitting on these color matched mirror covers for months... what to do here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjmst23

Reaction score
I’ve been sitting on these color matched mirror covers for months... what to do here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here.... Had em since October, but a the little voice keeps telling me to throw them away.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of these installed on the GRANITE truck?

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
I wonder if the dealer would still install (and cover mirror breakage) if I bought from avandale and had them install?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought, to those who have already done this. Is there a way to "break" or drill into the existing cap to allow easier removal that will preserve the mirror. After all, you are going to replace the cap anyway, so preserving the mirror would seem to be a win even if you destroyed the old cap in the removal process.

Users who are viewing this thread