5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

Kaydee

Reaction score
No problem - happy to help.
If anybody's watching this and removing their mirror caps be aware that there is one screw right near one of the clips which is not mentioned in the technical advice I was pulling for quite a while and figured I would try this screw and that was it it came off after removing it. Somebody might miss this and break that tab off

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If anybody's watching this and removing their mirror caps be aware that there is one screw right near one of the clips which is not mentioned in the technical advice I was pulling for quite a while and figured I would try this screw and that was it it came off after removing it. Somebody might miss this and break that tab off

Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have a picture of the rogue screw? I'll add it to the PDF file in case anyone looks at it in the future.

Kal Torak

Reaction score
I removed my chrome piece and replaced it with the black piece on my truck exterior mirrors. Thanks for posting the directions. I did end up shattering my passenger mirror glass trying to remove it. I mistakenly pulled from the outside of the mirror and not from the inside as was in the instructions, so be careful when pulling out the mirror part. That's a $180 mistake. I do prefer the all black exterior mirrors.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I removed my chrome piece and replaced it with the black piece on my truck exterior mirrors. Thanks for posting the directions. I did end up shattering my passenger mirror glass trying to remove it. I mistakenly pulled from the outside of the mirror and not from the inside as was in the instructions, so be careful when pulling out the mirror part. That's a $180 mistake. I do prefer the all black exterior mirrors.
Thanks for the info - Do you have before and after pictures you can post?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes. Thanks for the warning. Where did you get the caps, and what was the part number? Interested, and might get them painted body color.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would check to see if your color is offered in the Sport model as I believe the mirror caps are already painted that body color.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would check to see if your color is offered in the Sport model as I believe the mirror caps are already painted that body color.
My thought too. Found Ivory on eBay but not Max Steel. Do you have a recommended site to search for those parts? All the sites I have found are not very user friendly... might just bug my dealer.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Let me find the site where mine were ordered from and I’ll post up that information.

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^. That is the dealership that I ordered my Billet silver mirror caps from. Me personally I wouldn’t try and paint them. If they don’t have your color, then I would stick with getting black ones.

Users who are viewing this thread