5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Next person up, try this: take a hair dryer (one that actually heats very well), and spend some time holding it, blowing hot on that glass for a good 5 to 10 minutes, and then try the procedure... even if you live in 70 or 80 degree temps.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Got rejected by my dealer today. They refused to even try. They were convinced they'd break the mirror.... They're probably right.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
This sounds like the ticket right here. I'm going to get an old ping pong paddle, or make a tool to handle this mirror removal.

He used a propane tank heater aimed at the mirror to warm it up. Then took what looked to be a modified pingpong paddle - narrowed and notched like a U

Does anyone have a picture of the back-side of the mirror itself?

jmr

Reaction score
Bright White Mirror Covers part # 6RP45GW7AA and 6RP44GW7AA I just ordered them from RockAuto.

Jax44

Reaction score
I took the plunge and thought i would give this a try...... I got the mirror off without breaking up but somehow I think I didn’t do it right.

Attachments

• 24071C0B-FB11-46A2-85F6-62DF514146FB.jpeg
    24071C0B-FB11-46A2-85F6-62DF514146FB.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 0B3FB190-5D30-48A8-940A-EC19AD84702E.jpeg
    0B3FB190-5D30-48A8-940A-EC19AD84702E.jpeg
    637 KB · Views: 395

geotex1

Reaction score
I took the plunge and thought i would give this a try...... I got the mirror off without breaking up but somehow I think I didn’t do it right.

Yeah, you've separated the motor housing. Can it go back together?

azzx

Reaction score
Thanks
A bit pricy for what I need.
I am looking for the mirror camera and front camera diagrams

Jax44

Reaction score
Yeah, you've separated the motor housing. Can it go back together?

Yes, took a bit of tinkering but i got it figured out. Drivers side came off easier, i didnt seperate the motor but I was trying to be more careful with it. I ended up using a plastic trim tool to pop them off from the top, prying at the center top of the mirrors. All in all its done, no broken mirrors and i couldn’t be happier.

Next up, how to replace the chrome in the door and tailgate handles without having to vinyl wrap them?

bbetts00

Reaction score
Yes, took a bit of tinkering but i got it figured out. Drivers side came off easier, i didnt seperate the motor but I was trying to be more careful with it. I ended up using a plastic trim tool to pop them off from the top, prying at the center top of the mirrors. All in all its done, no broken mirrors and i couldn’t be happier.

Next up, how to replace the chrome in the door and tailgate handles without having to vinyl wrap them?
I replaced my tailgate handle with a body color-matched one. $85 from Avondale Automotive. Took 15 minutes to do. There are also body color-matched door handles available, but it's a much more labor-intensive project. Will make you reconsider just vinyl wrapping them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/