5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

side mirror removal to replace mirror cap

nblack300

Reaction score
I tried the bar like you guys said and tried pulling. I think doing it in 40 degree temps is where I screwed up. But yes, I got both.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried the bar like you guys said and tried pulling. I think doing it in 40 degree temps is where I screwed up. But yes, I got both.

Man...I hate to hear that. You need to hit up Josh @ Avondale. I think they are about 156 a side.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Man...I hate to hear that. You need to hit up Josh @ Avondale. I think they are about 156 a side.
Ouch! I really wanna DIY it, but might do a risk assessment if I can get dealer to install for $50.....vs possible $160

nblack300

Reaction score
$305 from Josh for both. I should have had the dealer do it. I really do think cold temps effected my outcome.

adtraylor

Reaction score
I stepped into the ring today to replace my chrome mirror caps with black ones and broke the passenger side mirror. Until you pull that first mirror glass off it's hard to understand exactly how it works. I tried the type of pry bar pictured in a previous post but just didn't quite get it. I wound up using the pry bar in the picture. I slid the curved end in from the top and pried the middle out. It popped right out.
Now does anyone have the part number for the passenger side heated mirror, not towing?

Attachments

• IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 291

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone gets these out without breaking them unless it really does come down to not doing it in colder temps. I broke both sides, and have a call in to Josh for my $305 penance.

Also, who's thumbs fit behind the mirror? I can barely slide part of a pinky in. Broke both sides using nylon pry tools to try and pop mirror out by prying it out as close to the middle as I could get.

Pretty crap design if you ask me.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone gets these out without breaking them unless it really does come down to not doing it in colder temps. I broke both sides, and have a call in to Josh for my $305 penance.

Also, who's thumbs fit behind the mirror? I can barely slide part of a pinky in. Broke both sides using nylon pry tools to try and pop mirror out by prying it out as close to the middle as I could get.

Agreed, my assumption is nobody typically removes these unless they are replacing the glass. It becomes an expensive mod. sorry brother

nblack300

Reaction score

Join the club. Damn it sucks. In all honesty, driving around with cracked mirrors isn't so bad compared to the $305 mirrors...

My new mirrors will be here tonight.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Done, $296 and a few days and I should be able to show off my truck without being embarrassed by the broken mirrors. I just have to hope the wife doesn't notice in the meantime.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Nope, my 9 year old noticed on the way home and had ratted me out within the first couple minutes of the wife getting home.

I played it cool and calmly replied that yeah it happened, no biggie, new glass on the way already. By that point her interest in a conversation about car parts was exhausted and she started to tell me about her day at work.

It pays to know the correct way to handle any situation involving the wife, and not wanting to explain just how much an optional "toy" expense cost without being deceptive. ;)

nblack300

Reaction score
Nope, my 9 year old noticed on the way home and had ratted me out within the first couple minutes of the wife getting home.

I played it cool and calmly replied that yeah it happened, no biggie, new glass on the way already. By that point her interest in a conversation about car parts was exhausted and she started to tell me about her day at work.

It pays to know the correct way to handle any situation involving the wife, and not wanting to explain just how much an optional "toy" expense cost without being deceptive. ;)

Both my mirrors were “$100”

bbetts00

Reaction score
Even after reading all of this, I still broke my passenger side mirror today. Nylon pry bar for interior panel removal....no dice. Throw that "Removal and Installation" procedure out the window because there is no way you are getting "both thumbs" in there. What sucks is I even went up to the dealer before I tried it myself to get any additional pointers they could offer. He told me they would do both mirrors for $65, but that I should just do it myself. Here I am a few hours, a phone call to Josh at Avondale, and $173 later with a broken mirror. I'll take it up to the dealer now when the new glass arrives (don't want to break the other one).

cjmst23

Reaction score
Even after reading all of this, I still broke my passenger side mirror today. Nylon pry bar for interior panel removal....no dice. Throw that "Removal and Installation" procedure out the window because there is no way you are getting "both thumbs" in there. What sucks is I even went up to the dealer before I tried it myself to get any additional pointers they could offer. He told me they would do both mirrors for $65, but that I should just do it myself. Here I am a few hours, a phone call to Josh at Avondale, and $173 later with a broken mirror. I'll take it up to the dealer now when the new glass arrives (don't want to break the other one).
Sucks. I've been sitting on my painted caps for 2 months. Hesitant to try on my own , but resistant to paying for it either.

geotex1

Reaction score
I watched a dealer tech doing them this week - actually was replacing a scratched chrome cover on a brand new truck. He used a propane tank heater aimed at the mirror to warm it up. Then took what looked to be a modified pingpong paddle - narrowed and notched like a U - slide it behind the mirror with the window down with a FAST jerk outward. Popped out perfectly! I may let this guy install mine!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can not emphasize enough that if you do not want to break it, spend the money and let the dealership do it. I will never do it again and as luck has it, I will not have to lol.

reyn3545

Reaction score
Does anyone have a procedure for removing the tow mirrors on a 2019 Ram 1500? I'm ordering replacement power folds, and the door panels are different on the 2019's from the 2018's. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread