5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Grown to love my knob shifter, though I have found myself accidentally mistaken the radio or fan knob from time to time, particularly when my attention is drawn to something when driving, like when making a 3 point turn backing into a parking spot.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 2014 Sport with the knob and now looking for another truck. It is hard to imagine why every truck does not have a knob as it frees up so much space. Someone told me the 2020 F150s are going to a knob as well. Was a salesman so who knows if he is right.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone says they wouldn't buy a truck because of the shifter they are brain dead. Columm shifters are ugly as hell and seem so out dated. The knob is simple, functional, and frees up tons of space.

DDP

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
I would say if you have a center console make it a floor shift, if you have a flip up center seat make it column shift.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the knob, and am a huge fan of buttons. I also can’t stand column and center console shifters if the shifting is electronic- there’s no point in having a physical shifter when it doesn’t connect to a cable or linkage.

Reverse

Reaction score
we owned a 2014 with the old school column shifter and a 2014 with the dial at the same, and I have to say that I found the coilumn shifter a much more satisfying experience. Also, the old 6-speed had a very satisfying soft whine that the 8-speed (which I love for its smoothness) just doesn't have.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holy 2 1/2 year old thread! I love the shift knob, but wish Ram would get with the times and offer some traction modes.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I‘ll take the knob but I also want the center console desk like a F150.
For bonus points two cup holders drilled into the top two corners for driver and passenger.
Then between the cup holders two condiment cups for ketchup and Chick-fil-A sauce.

1633078667529.jpeg

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I‘ll take the knob but I also want the center console desk like a F150.
For bonus points two cup holders drilled into the top two corners for driver and passenger.
Then between the cup holders two condiment cups for ketchup and Chick-fil-A sauce.

View attachment 106852
LOL. Then all you need is a robotic arm to feed you waffle fries while you keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel 😛

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
it should have a level , not the Knob. How long before the knob fails. Levers rarely fail.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I thought the knob was goofy, until I bought my Ram. I like the space it frees up and it's easy to use. I hate column shifters and anything with that is an instant no go for me. I've traditionally liked console shifters and still really did in the Challenger I just reviewed but for a truck the extra space the knob frees up is nice.
The nice thing about the know is you can go buy another knob to make it look better rather than the bright shinny knob it is now

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want the shifter!!!! oh no i don't lol to move forward we all need to make changes. The extra space is good. Just think about when the automobile was invented, all those people that said that crazy contraption that moves with out a horse, that will never catch on. Or having ice delivered to your house to keep your food from spoiling. I know a knob is not that big of a change but makes you think.

Quint

Reaction score
A buddy and I just drove to Lambeau Field a few weeks ago. He hopped into my truck and instantly said, "What do you think of that knob?" I told him that it's now been six years without a lever and it's not even a thought in my consciousness.

Have I reached for the shifter knob and accidentally turned up/down the radio volume? Yes, once or twice but it really was a non-issue. Those things could be a little further apart but I wouldn't want them to go back to a lever. These trucks are great.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL. Then all you need is a robotic arm to feed you waffle fries while you keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel 😛
I definitely need that, and an option to hold popeyes drumsticks.

Users who are viewing this thread