5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was very unreceptive to the knob at first, complained about it at length on this forum but after 1.5 years it dropped out of my radar and now I just use it. Still greatly prefer the lever, but the knob is better than all other options including console shifter (waste of space and bulky), and heaven forbid... cheesy push buttons.

I do wish they would make it "heavier" though. I still want a more premium feel with greater "indents" and effort required to move it around.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like the E Brake button located in the center of the knob with the button illuminating red when the E Brake is engaged.

Then it’s all in one spot.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I want my truck to just read my mind and shift into the gear I'm thinking of :ROFLMAO:

it should have a level , not the Knob. How long before the knob fails. Levers rarely fail.
You are both right and wrong. Old school shift levers rarely failed. But now even the levers are basically just switches. There is no mechanical connection to the transmission. It's all done by computer now. Both shifter types are electrical so a lever switch is just as prone to fail as a rotary switch. If the choice were between a mechanical lever shifter or an electric shift knob I'd be the first in line for the lever.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was very unreceptive to the knob at first, complained about it at length on this forum but after 1.5 years it dropped out of my radar and now I just use it. Still greatly prefer the lever, but the knob is better than all other options including console shifter (waste of space and bulky), and heaven forbid... cheesy push buttons.

I do wish they would make it "heavier" though. I still want a more premium feel with greater "indents" and effort required to move it around.
AJT Design

Didn't like the knobs either at first. I actually prefer it now.

borderjack

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
Once used to the knob it is great as it frees up the console and dash for other things. Want a lever, buy a Chev.

COWBOY CADILLAC

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.

Let them know

I thought the same thing until I used the knob and I must say the knob is number 1 in my book. A lever is old school.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t really like it at first, but now I like it and yes, you gain that extra space with not have the shifter in the middle of the floor!!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This reminds me of the argument between Airbus and Boeing pilots. Which would you rather have?

This....
Airbus 1.JPG

Which has room for this handy, retractable tray table....
Airbus 2.JPG

or this early 1900's technology....
Boeing.JPG

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm probably wrong, but my understanding was that main difference between boeing and airbus is a philosophy of who gets the final say; pilot or computer. Boeing usually erred on the side of the pilot, airbus on the computer. I'll take the pilot 100% of the time.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm probably wrong, but my understanding was that main difference between boeing and airbus is a philosophy of who gets the final say; pilot or computer. Boeing usually erred on the side of the pilot, airbus on the computer. I'll take the pilot 100% of the time.
Yep, you're wrong. 🤣

This is related to ergonomics, not fly by wire philosophy. I've already taken this thread adrift far enough. Boeing has taken the opinion, "that's the way we've always done it, so it must be correct". The side stick is superior in every way. I don't feel that strongly about the shifter knob, but now that I am used to it, I can't think of a good reason to go back to a console shifter.

Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I prefer the one with the sheep-skin seats. That's the most comfy. 😎

silver billet

Reaction score
Yep, you're wrong. 🤣

This is related to ergonomics, not fly by wire philosophy. I've already taken this thread adrift far enough. Boeing has taken the opinion, "that's the way we've always done it, so it must be correct". The side stick is superior in every way. I don't feel that strongly about the shifter knob, but now that I am used to it, I can't think of a good reason to go back to a console shifter.

I wasn't refering to the stick vs yoke or ergonomics; simply how strong the computer is in the system. I've read that Airbus had a few crashes due to faulty sensors and the computer would not allow the pilot to override, so the computer thought plane was landing and pilot was trying to take off but hit the ground instead, the pilot wasn't able to override the computer so they crashed. And then Boeing took the approach that if the pilot wants to override the computer, they can still do so; pilot still has the last word.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I wasn't refering to the stick vs yoke or ergonomics; simply how strong the computer is in the system. I've read that Airbus had a few crashes due to faulty sensors and the computer would not allow the pilot to override, so the computer thought plane was landing and pilot was trying to take off but hit the ground instead, the pilot wasn't able to override the computer so they crashed. And then Boeing took the approach that if the pilot wants to override the computer, they can still do so; pilot still has the last word.
The crash you are referring to was during a demonstration flight. It had nothing to do with the ability to override a computer. Ironically, the test pilots did not understand the system they were trying to demonstrate and crashed. Saying the pilot of an Airbus does not have the final say is an oversimplification and not entirely true.

The Airbus fly by wire is different than Boeing. Neither one is perfect, nor is one better than the other. They are just different philosophies.

The Asiana crash in San Francisco is an example of the shortcomings of the Boeing system. If they were in an Airbus, they would not have stalled.

Amazing93

Reaction score

Let them know

I like the knob. It creates more free space and looks clean.

Users who are viewing this thread