5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm probably wrong, but my understanding was that main difference between boeing and airbus is a philosophy of who gets the final say; pilot or computer. Boeing usually erred on the side of the pilot, airbus on the computer. I'll take the pilot 100% of the time.

Lol with some of the pilots I work with. The aircraft is smarter than them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver billet

Reaction score
Yeah probably, humans have their moments. But speaking as a software engineer; computers are only as smart as the guys who programmed them, and I still want the pilot to have final the final say. Equipment and sensors can fail, for a start, and even with redudant systems in place it's still possible for the computer to get it wrong. I don't mean the decisions like keeping the plane flying with millisecond precision inputs (some airplanes are so tricky that only a computer can fly them stably), I'm just refering to telling the plane what to do; go up, go down, even do a barrel roll, the plane should do what its told if its at all physically possible to do it, I hate the idea that the computer thinks "you probably didn't mean to do this so I won't let you".

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
There are always overrides, the pilots human factors come into play and don’t engage the overrides.

Anywho, from a lifetime of gm trucks and shift lever. It took an entire week to get used to the knob. I like it better.

Thank god they didn’t do that little lever like the jeeps and sports cars have.

TravisH

Reaction score
What happens if the knob is turned while driving? Does the truck have safety measures in place? I’ve only had my truck for a couple weeks and already find myself turning down the temp instead of radio when driving.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
You can turn it to n, but not r or p without your foot on the brake. No different than a lever. Since both are just a electronic switch not physically connected to the transmission.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I like the knob and the space it free's up. My daughters Kia has push button, kinda reminded me of the old Mopar push button days :)
Tom

Reaction score
I hate the knob. Mostly because I can shift a lever without looking at it. Which when backing, is a consideration, since I'd rather be pointing my head where my truck is about to go, rather than down at my dash to make sure I'm in reverse. The knob just takes finer muscle memory (since the movements are smaller) that the lever doesn't.

My RAM has a lever, but a knob for 4WD control. Which, that knob is fine. I don't have to use it often, and it's not one you would use without thinking about it.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
I had a shifter on my 2013 and was initially turned off by it, but as time and two more trucks have gone by, I've gotten used to it and actually kind of like it. I believe the TRX still has a stick? maybe that new TRX lite version?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I hate the knob. Mostly because I can shift a lever without looking at it. Which when backing, is a consideration, since I'd rather be pointing my head where my truck is about to go, rather than down at my dash to make sure I'm in reverse. The knob just takes finer muscle memory (since the movements are smaller) that the lever doesn't.

My RAM has a lever, but a knob for 4WD control. Which, that knob is fine. I don't have to use it often, and it's not one you would use without thinking about it.
I get why people hate the shifter knob...because it's different. Once you get used to it, you can shift into reverse without looking at the knob too.

silver billet

Reaction score
Somebody somewhere mentioned that the knob should require to be pushed in, to go from reverse to park. I like that idea, pretty sure the old levers used to require more "pull" to get them into park as well.

Anybody who's been stuck knows the pitfalls of the current knob... fast shifting/rocking is impossible, now add in the "auto parkbrake when shifting to park" and you have a recipe for many blue cusswords.

I got used to the knob over the course of two years, absolutely hated it at first but I'm fine with it now for the most part, though I still think we need more solid "thunks" between gears instead of the polite feminine "click" as we switch around. Especially park, I'd love to have more horizontal space between park and reverse, and I like the idea of the "push" as well.

chris288

Reaction score
had a shifter in my 09, love it, knob in my 15 and initially didn't like it, wanted the shifter in my 22rebel but didn't want the GT package. saw GT package and dont like how much space the shifter takes up... I'll stick with the knob !

Tapekar59

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
Big Fan of the Knob.

Nibis

Reaction score

That's where the back up camera comes in handy

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I really don't get all the angst over the knob.

Over the years I've had sedans, SUVs, and vans with console shifters, column shifters, push buttons, and now the knob.

It literally took me 2-3 days to get used to the knob and I now prefer it over all the other shifting mechanisms I've used. I can count on one hand the number of times I've either missed a shift to R/P or confused it with the volume knob over the three years I've had this truck.

Jabberjaw

Reaction score
Took me a bit to get used to, but I have no complaints about it. That said, I’d still like the floorboard foot press brights. Oh, and three on the tree.

smashweights

Reaction score
Love the shift knob! Having a giant lever taking up 1/4 of the center console is asinine and I have never used a column shifter that didn't clunk around like garbage

sd2134

Reaction score
I agree, like the knob because of extra console space. I think most people are getting by without the floor mounted transfer case shifter also. However, the 2500 Tradesman and Power Wagon still come standard with a floor mounted manual 4x4 shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread