5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do this?

Fausimo

Reaction score
Wait at least until you have equity on it... Thats what i would do. Stop looking at new ones until then. The new ones by that time will be even better and you will be alot happier.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation to yours. I bought my truck last June, when covid had put the dampers on most everything. This truck was the closest thing I could find to what I wanted, for the price I was willing to pay. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me that not all DTs come with LED lights, didn't notice that until a couple days after I purchased. That bugged me. Fast forward to December, found a Limited I really liked (they have the good LEDs). Even though I got a good deal on my truck out the door, I put no money down and traded nothing in, so no local dealer was willing to give me what I felt my truck was worth in trade, and my negative equity killed that plan.

I've now had my Big Horn for 10 months. I've replaced the rear lights with LEDs, fronts will be sometime in the future (they bother less and less as time goes by). I've made this truck one that I like even more than when I bought it, and enjoyed the process. I wouldn't tell you not to trade yours in, but if you liked it enough to buy it in the first place, you can definitely use it as a springboard to building your ideal Ram. Enjoy it!

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation to yours. I bought my truck last June, when covid had put the dampers on most everything. This truck was the closest thing I could find to what I wanted, for the price I was willing to pay. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me that not all DTs come with LED lights, didn't notice that until a couple days after I purchased. That bugged me. Fast forward to December, found a Limited I really liked (they have the good LEDs). Even though I got a good deal on my truck out the door, I put no money down and traded nothing in, so no local dealer was willing to give me what I felt my truck was worth in trade, and my negative equity killed that plan.

I've now had my Big Horn for 10 months. I've replaced the rear lights with LEDs, fronts will be sometime in the future (they bother less and less as time goes by). I've made this truck one that I like even more than when I bought it, and enjoyed the process. I wouldn't tell you not to trade yours in, but if you liked it enough to buy it in the first place, you can definitely use it as a springboard to building your ideal Ram. Enjoy it!
You have a sick truck brother! Thank you for the advice! It sucks getting a new truck but month later having regrets but you are right I just need to make this truck more mine with mod upgrades etc!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have a sick truck brother! Thank you for the advice! It sucks getting a new truck but month later having regrets but you are right I just need to make this truck more mine with mod upgrades etc!
Thanks for the compliment. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours as you go

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh crap no! More like $7K. BTW - It was end of the month which may have affected their motivation.
Yeah that’s my point, especially for people paying off the truck early. Doesn’t make sense to go for 3, 4 or even $7k off with 0% when I can get almost $11k off for example with 3.5% for the same period.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you do 0% interest, you lose out on all those dealer discounts.
It's not the dealer discounts you may lose out on, it's the Ram discounts. Dealer discounts are independent from the discounts you get from Ram. We did the 0% for 84 month finance on the wife's Limited, and still received almost $6k in dealer discounts.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not the dealer discounts you may lose out on, it's the Ram discounts. Dealer discounts are independent from the discounts you get from Ram. We did the 0% for 84 month finance on the wife's Limited, and still received almost $6k in dealer discounts.
that’s weird, I coulda got the 0% with the rebates tho...

Fausimo

Reaction score
0% doesnt change the fact that if you trade in a 65k loan for 50k you lose 15,000$ and you never get to use it.

RammyShand

Reaction score
that’s weird, I coulda got the 0% with the rebates tho...
To @mikeru82 point, the dealer initially told me that it is either/or. Either a customer take the 0%, or they take the Rebates. As @mikeru82 pointed out, Rebates and dealer discounts are two different pots of money. They gave me the 0%, $2K in rebates (all I qualified for with the 0%), and then provided a "dealer" discount for around $5.5K. When all was said and done, I got the 0% and around $7K discount.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To @mikeru82 point, the dealer initially told me that it is either/or. Either a customer take the 0%, or they take the Rebates. As @mikeru82 pointed out, Rebates and dealer discounts are two different pots of money. They gave me the 0%, $2K in rebates (all I qualified for with the 0%), and then provided a "dealer" discount for around $5.5K. When all was said and done, I got the 0% and around $7K discount.
Yeah makes sense, a lot of dealers just lie about everything anyways. What’s new?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '21 Laramie was $71K MSRP. I ordered it so I could get everything I could
included. Then I started purchasing other parts to make it mine. That comes to
around $10K more so far. The On-Board Air and Nathan K5LA Airchimes will be
moved from my current 2008 Big Horn to the Laramie. The Stock Horn is anemic.

I have been getting very good Mileage from the EcoDiesel. Once I add the AUX Fuel
Tank, I could get a max range of 3K miles!

Malodave

chuck01835

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies I truly love the Ram community you guys give the best advice. After a day to think about it I’ve decided I’m gonna keep the Rebel I have and just mod it out. I definitely want the other features but I can’t get over the fact that after getting appraised by to places online that I’d only be getting around 43k for my new truck that was 56k MSRP.... so instead of losing the money I got for the trade in on the mustang I’m gonna keep the Rebel I have and enjoy it. I appreciate all of you and tomorrow morning I’m definitely canceling the warranty.
Heres my suggestion.

Cancel your warranty.
Sell your truck to Carvana. They've been paying thousands over kbb. I got 2.5k more than the dealer offered for trade in.

Talk to Aaron at Mark Dodge, or Philip at Bud Clary Ram depending on your location. Both will give you the best prices in the country. If you can wait for a custom ordered truck you can order it as you want. You could do a fly and drive, ship it, or at least, use their quotes as leverage with the local dealers.
And check out Silent Bob's thread of course.

Thanks
Chuck

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is true, exactly what they told me

Perhaps at some dealers, or it's another line that they give people to make more money. Either way, there are plenty of us here that got 0% and a nice dealer discount. I lost a $1250 rebate by going with the 0%, nothing else. And I know that because I switched to 0% after initially going with as much discount as possible without the 0%. Only lost the factory rebate of $1250, still got the dealer discount and $2000 additional off from additional coupons (such as penfed). My dealer discount was about $9500 and never changed during the whole process.

Users who are viewing this thread