5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do this?

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to start off saying you’ve heard this before, but I love the ram community and support so much that I have to ask this. So a little less then two months ago I traded my payed off 2015 V6 mustang for a 2021 ram rebel and though I miss the mustang I love the ram rebel, that being said I got the ram rebel after trade in for 41k OTD (MSRP 56k) and added the Mopars extended warranty for $5000 making the real out of door cost 46k with a 3% rate, I pay $640 a month but have been paying $990 because I want to pay it off quicker. I still feel like I made the decision too quickly and am having MAJOR regrets. I was at the dealership getting a complimentary new car detail that I was also given and went and looked at other rebels while waiting. At the time the one I bought was the only one available but while looking a sales man walked up to see what I was doing, after talking to him he started explaining all the features of that rebel they had in stock and I realized what I don’t have. I wish I waited for a more optioned out rebel vs mine. The sales man told me they have a deal it’s going for 52k, 7k off MSRP. It just amazes me that for a few thousand more you get so many more options? Now I’m having regrets yet again because I really do like the Rebel 12 package, the front and rear sensors, keyless entry, and like said before that 12.1 inch screen. Would it be smart to trade my new rebel in for the upgraded one on the lot? Would I be in negative equity? I figured I could cancel the warranty and since I’ve paid $990 (first payment) I only owe about 39k on the Rebel I own. I’m probably guaranteed to have larger payments but I already am paying $350 more then my original payments anyways. Also I would probably lose all that trade in cash I got for my mustang right? What are your thoughts? I included my window sticker vs the one at the dealership. Let me know what you would do. Thank you everyone! (On a side note it amazes me that a 56k truck doesn’t come standard with keyless entry or parking sensors. My base model V6 mustang came with both of those features)

Attachments

• B632DFE0-7530-4338-9462-F51A3F9882F2.jpeg
    B632DFE0-7530-4338-9462-F51A3F9882F2.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 9A03FA96-283F-49BA-B5C9-19ACC64CC76C.jpeg
    9A03FA96-283F-49BA-B5C9-19ACC64CC76C.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 87

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with @Midnite on this. Talk to the sales person and get the numbers on it. Because trucks are a hot ticket they will have no problem selling your truck. Weigh the options and see if the deal works. I would absolutely anyway cancel that $5000 warranty you got and get your money back on that no matter what. Obviously your going to keep looking over your shoulder wonder "what if". With you paying way more on the payment it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Am I surprised yours doesn't have keyless entry and parking sensors, no. Ram's model lineup and packages can get confusing. I would never buy a vehicle not know what exactly it is coming with before signing paperwork. I know the eagerness to get a deal done because it's like a giant awesome christmas present we get to play with but if your not going to be happy and paying that much for it you might as well get what you want to be happy.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
#1 cancel that extended warranty..$5k is to much to spend on that. Do a search for extended warranties on here and you’ll getting plenty of post on where from and what guys are paying and if the dealer can’t match it buy it a later time.

#2 run the numbers yourself. I personally wouldn’t bring in negative equity into a new truck unless it wasn’t much.

Some tips.. before you even step foot back in the dealer contact whoever you financed the vehicle with and figure out your current payout. Check with carvana ,vroom, car max and figure out what they would give you. Used prices are high right now. If the dealer knows your having buyers remorse and your are trading guaranteed they’ll try to lowball you and give you the bare minimal to make a deal.

Negotiate on the price of the new truck, then once you get that down to your price point where your comfortable at, talk trade numbers and have those offers with you.

Always do the numbers yourself. Don’t trust what they tell you, dealers have a great way of messing with numbers.

If you can don’t drive your current truck up there borrow a vehicle and go down there. When you pull up especially in a similar vehicle it’s a big red flag they might be able to get a trade in out of you. To which they’ll screw with the numbers to get the most money out of you. If they ask we”ll you be trading so no. Then start your negotiations on price of the vehicle once your satisfied with the number get the offer in riding signed by both the sales manager and salesman’s then bring up your trade. The vehicle doesn’t have to be there for them to give a estimated price have your vin and a few pictures then if they can get to your number (car max, vroom etc) then bring them your truck.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a low mileage used truck they are going for pretty good numbers right now. Especially because it's so hard getting trucks out of the factory.
It won't hurt to have them do a trade in appraisal, then you'll know how much more the new rebel will cost you.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you are dying to have the 12inch, I would keep the truck. I have the Rebel and went back and forth with Level1 and Level2. There was nothing in the Level2 I had to have. You get all of the same stuff that matters with Level1. I would have liked the proximity locks but got used to not having it. That was not worth 3k to me...everything else in Level2 was extra safety/automatic stuff I did not need or want.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Geez this whole time I thought rebels came standard with the level one options never knew you could get them without. I learned something new today.

OP I think somehow your going to be in the very losing end when it comes to this, better do the math and watch the number game.

Don’t go in there letting them know what you want your payment to be once again they’ll tweak numbers and screw you again do the math yourself prior and you should be able to figure out around what the monthly payment will be. Keep around the original amount monthly your paying even though you can pay a little more in case something happens and you need that extra money staying with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Geez this whole time I thought rebels came standard with the level one options never knew you could get them without. I learned something new today.
That was more true with the 4th gen Rebels. You got more standard features with those than you do with the DT version.

My advice is the same as others have stated. Cancel the extended warranty. Do that whether you keep the truck you have or not. It sounds like you won't be keeping this truck for even the factory 3/36 warranty. Then have your truck appraised, using not only your dealer but the online resources listed above by PurpleRT. KBB.com will also give you an offer. After you know the numbers, then you can make a decision based on real numbers. And decide for yourself if it's something you will be comfortable with. I'm hearing a lot of regret from you now, and personally, I'd be willing to lose a little on the transaction if it means I am happy with the new truck. Especially if I was someone who keeps vehicles for a long time.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you are dying to have the 12inch, I would keep the truck. I have the Rebel and went back and forth with Level1 and Level2. There was nothing in the Level2 I had to have. You get all of the same stuff that matters with Level1. I would have liked the proximity locks but got used to not having it. That was not worth 3k to me...everything else in Level2 was extra safety/automatic stuff I did not need or want.
I would’ve agreed with you before I got my truck lol . I love the remote start , rain sensing windshield wipers, security alarm , and the BSM . Although the BSM isn’t in the level 2 it’s optional with the level 2 .

Johnny5

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to start off saying you’ve heard this before, but I love the ram community and support so much that I have to ask this. So a little less then two months ago I traded my payed off 2015 V6 mustang for a 2021 ram rebel and though I miss the mustang I love the ram rebel, that being said I got the ram rebel after trade in for 41k OTD (MSRP 56k) and added the Mopars extended warranty for $5000 making the real out of door cost 46k with a 3% rate, I pay $640 a month but have been paying $990 because I want to pay it off quicker. I still feel like I made the decision too quickly and am having MAJOR regrets. I was at the dealership getting a complimentary new car detail that I was also given and went and looked at other rebels while waiting. At the time the one I bought was the only one available but while looking a sales man walked up to see what I was doing, after talking to him he started explaining all the features of that rebel they had in stock and I realized what I don’t have. I wish I waited for a more optioned out rebel vs mine. The sales man told me they have a deal it’s going for 52k, 7k off MSRP. It just amazes me that for a few thousand more you get so many more options? Now I’m having regrets yet again because I really do like the Rebel 12 package, the front and rear sensors, keyless entry, and like said before that 12.1 inch screen. Would it be smart to trade my new rebel in for the upgraded one on the lot? Would I be in negative equity? I figured I could cancel the warranty and since I’ve paid $990 (first payment) I only owe about 39k on the Rebel I own. I’m probably guaranteed to have larger payments but I already am paying $350 more then my original payments anyways. Also I would probably lose all that trade in cash I got for my mustang right? What are your thoughts? I included my window sticker vs the one at the dealership. Let me know what you would do. Thank you everyone! (On a side note it amazes me that a 56k truck doesn’t come standard with keyless entry or parking sensors. My base model V6 mustang came with both of those features)
I'd cancel the warranty for sure. There's a thread on here too that will tell you how to get 15-20% ish fairly easy. I got a 21 Laramie for 50k before taxes and Dmv with an msrp of 62,500. But I do believe you should see if you feel like you could deal with the issues or if you can't then try to make a deal on exactly what you want. If the dealer doesn't offer anything good for your trade then look at carmax,carvanna,vroom etc... If you do decide to trade then don't purchase any warranties. Clay Robbins can definitely beat anyone's prices hands down for any kind of warranty if you feel the need for one later... Hope this helps bud

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
I would’ve agreed with you before I got my truck lol . I love the remote start , rain sensing windshield wipers, security alarm , and the BSM . Although the BSM isn’t in the level 2 it’s optional with the level 2 .
Well I do have Remote start, I don’t have other things I want that I mentioned like keyless entry and parking sensors.

Daverous

Reaction score
You'll always want what you don't have. That's the way it works. I bought a near maxed out 2020 ,and when surround view hit in 21 I was bummed. Heck, two weeks after buying mine I was getting appraisals since I didn't have vented seats and ram boxes. Some things you can add without taking the depreciation hit, some aren't worth it.

Still life's too short to hate something you spent so much on.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what I would say is keep your truck, a refresh is due for 2023 model year, coming out 3rd quarter next year (expected); so just wait. You don't wanna get a 2021, when 2022 (which should have the new UConnect 5) will be out in a few months and 2023 model year (which should be refreshed) in a year where more features and updated looks will be out. In the meantime do some more research or ask someone like me in regards to options and packages. I recommend ordering, still get a discount and you get what you want exactly. As far as the warranty, you''ll get a prorated refund for it if you don't end up using it all, but $5k does seem pricey for sure.

U

User_3336

$5,000 Mopar Extended ESP. CHRIST, what coverage limits was on that ESP????????????????????

U

User_3336

I'd cancel the warranty for sure. There's a thread on here too that will tell you how to get 15-20% ish fairly easy. I got a 21 Laramie for 50k before taxes and Dmv with an msrp of 62,500. But I do believe you should see if you feel like you could deal with the issues or if you can't then try to make a deal on exactly what you want. If the dealer doesn't offer anything good for your trade then look at carmax,carvanna,vroom etc... If you do decide to trade then don't purchase any warranties. Clay Robbins can definitely beat anyone's prices hands down for any kind of warranty if you feel the need for one later... Hope this helps bud

Zeigler will beat ANY esp warranty quote "hands down".. Any quote is going to be +/- $50 most likely.
[email protected]

www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/process/quickquote.aspx?type=primary

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
$5,000 Mopar Extended ESP. CHRIST, what coverage limits was on that ESP????????????????????
I don’t blame your reaction it’s kinda of crazy so it was $3800 for the bumper to bumper 7 years or 100k miles. $662 Prepaid maintenance (free oil changes for four years) and $538 for tire replacement on flats) stuff I don’t need

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies I truly love the Ram community you guys give the best advice. After a day to think about it I’ve decided I’m gonna keep the Rebel I have and just mod it out. I definitely want the other features but I can’t get over the fact that after getting appraised by two places online that I’d only be getting around 43k for my new truck that was 56k MSRP.... so instead of losing the money I got for the trade in on the mustang I’m gonna keep the Rebel I have and enjoy it. I appreciate all of you and tomorrow morning I’m definitely canceling the warranty.

Last edited:

z28oc91

Reaction score
The grass is always greener...if you keep looking at trucks/cars after you buy one you will shoot yourself..you’ll always see that version with more options or the same for a better deal and ask “did I rush?” Or did “I pay too much”. You should be happy with what you bought most of the time a dealer show a car/truck for a price is not what they are selling it for..if you paid too much for your truck or feel like you could have had more than learn from this...NOONE makes money on the cars they buy idc what they say or what they show..you will always have more time/money/blood invested in a vehicle. If you love your rebel, then go with it..stop looking because you will always find a better price or a better option and you will never be happy

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
The grass is always greener...if you keep looking at trucks/cars after you buy one you will shoot yourself..you’ll always see that version with more options or the same for a better deal and ask “did I rush?” Or did “I pay too much”. You should be happy with what you bought most of the time a dealer show a car/truck for a price is not what they are selling it for..if you paid too much for your truck or feel like you could have had more than learn from this...NOONE makes money on the cars they buy idc what they say or what they show..you will always have more time/money/blood invested in a vehicle. If you love your rebel, then go with it..stop looking because you will always find a better price or a better option and you will never be happy
Thank you, I needed to hear this. You are 100% correct.

Users who are viewing this thread