5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
ICE vehicles have batteries. And they catch fire more often than EVs. Even when parked in people's garages
I think the ICE vehicle vs EV ratio in garages is a little lopsided.😆

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Putting out a fully engulfed house fire takes the same amount of effort, no matter what the ignition source. And whether it's an EV or a ICE vehicle, they are both total losses after a fire. Doesn't matter how hot they burn or how hard it is to put them out
Ill just leave these here...

Flot

Reaction score
What country do you live in? Literally every single house build in Canada and the US in the last 50 years is 120/240 VAC. In fact try to get 120 only and they will look at you like you are crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that bit of sanity. Yes, every house in the US built in the last 50 years has 240v service. Your electric stove, AC or heater, and dryer (and anything else with a “double breaker”) run off 240v. Now some older houses could have 100 or 150 amp service, which is low but upgradable.

Also, if you have a newer house with a garage, there’s a fair chance your main panel is pretty close anyway. Adding a charger is anywhere from a $250 to $2500 expense for most people. Try adding your own gas pump.

You also don’t HAVE to fast charge. Off the top of my head I recall that most folks who average that 20-30 mile commute can also top off their batteries pretty meaningfully on a slow charge all night.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. There's no need to add a gas pump in every garage.
Yep. Doesn't take 15 hours to fill your truck with gas with a pump so no need for a pump at home.

Thank you for that bit of sanity. Yes, every house in the US built in the last 50 years has 240v service. Your electric stove, AC or heater, and dryer (and anything else with a “double breaker”) run off 240v. Now some older houses could have 100 or 150 amp service, which is low but upgradable.

Also, if you have a newer house with a garage, there’s a fair chance your main panel is pretty close anyway. Adding a charger is anywhere from a $250 to $2500 expense for most people. Try adding your own gas pump.

You also don’t HAVE to fast charge. Off the top of my head I recall that most folks who average that 20-30 mile commute can also top off their batteries pretty meaningfully on a slow charge all night.
Seems you are quite a bit out of touch.

This is charging rates for the regular F150 and extended range, 4.2 days plugged into 120 service for the regular battery. Even with a 240 outlet would take 10 hours.

It claims on 120 service you are getting 2 miles of range per hour of being plugged in, so that 30 mile commute would take 15 hours of being plugged in to charge.
1693948634723.png

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just helped my brother in law wire up the Tesla 48amp charger. It cost him a breaker, 6' of wire and the $400ish charger. To charge at 40 amps he could downsize the wire and put in a 50amp recep.

I have no idea what an electrician charges, but I keep seeing some outrageous numbers thrown around. Usually $5k-$10k. EV's are not right for everyone, but really good for some.

I have no interest in parting with my gas vehicles, but if the right EV came along for the right price and enough range, I'd buy it.

I would love to have the modern equivalent of a 90's Eclipse GSX. 2 doors, AWD, some decent power, and 400 mile range... I'm just not crazy about luxury sedans...

But then I'd love to have a modern Eclipse GSX with a 6-spd manual and gas power.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What country do you live in? Literally every single house build in Canada and the US in the last 50 years is 120/240 VAC. In fact try to get 120 only and they will look at you like you are crazy.

Now, are you talking 100 vs 200 Amps? Because even still, I can’t remember the last time I installed a 100 amp service in anything less than a small workshop or barn. Most houses under 3500 sq/ft get a 200Amp service and over that are typically 400 Amps.

240v and 200 amps is the minimum standard now

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
240v and 200 amps is the minimum standard now
That's what I have.
I would need to turn off my ACs at home at night if I wanted to charge an EV.
Or turn off my hot water, etc.
200 amps goes fast when you throw in a charger that will pull 30+ amps constant voltage. I think a Tesla for example requires a 60 amp breaker minimum.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I have.
I would need to turn off my ACs at home at night if I wanted to charge an EV.
Or turn off my hot water, etc.
200 amps goes fast when you throw in a charger that will pull 30+ amps constant voltage. I think a Tesla for example requires a 60 amp breaker minimum.
Max charge rate, and actual charge rate are two different things. The only time you may see max amp draw charging you EV is if you run the battery completely down. Oherwisez the chargers and vehicles are smart enough to regulate charge rate because it actually makes the batteries last longer. Just more misinformation from the ignorant trying to give people a negative opinion about EVs.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Doesn't take 15 hours to fill your truck with gas with a pump so no need for a pump at home.

Seems you are quite a bit out of touch.

This is charging rates for the regular F150 and extended range, 4.2 days plugged into 120 service for the regular battery. Even with a 240 outlet would take 10 hours.

It claims on 120 service you are getting 2 miles of range per hour of being plugged in, so that 30 mile commute would take 15 hours of being plugged in to charge.
View attachment 166738
Seems you are a bit out of touch and only talking in extremes. If you wait until your battery is completely discharged before plugging it in, you deserve to have a long wait to drive. Doing a maintenance charge over night is more than enough for most people. Get home at 5-6pm. Plug in your car/truck, leave it plugged in until you need to drive it the next day at 7-8am. That's at least 12 hour charge timez if not more. Anyone wanting to use the EV more than just a work commuter would be stupid to only rely on a level 1 charger.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How exactly does that counter anything I just said?
EV fires are NOTHING like a fire in a regular car.
It's not even the point of which one happens more often, it's how worse it does when it does.
Even fire fighters don't know how and have problems putting out fires from EVs as the fires don't require oxigen and are also generally mounted under cars\trucks so they can't be hit with chemicals to stop them.

Here's a video from The National Transportation Safety Board

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
EV fires are NOTHING like a fire in a regular car.
It's not even the point of which one happens more often, it's how worse it does when it does.
Even fire fighters don't know how and have problems putting out fires from EVs as the fires don't require oxigen and are also generally mounted under cars\trucks so they can't be hit with chemicals to stop them.

Here's a video from The National Transportation Safety Board
So like I said, how does that counter anything I have said? I have never argued that the types of fire are the same or that ICE is worse. No need to argue against known facts.

So exactly what are you trying to prove?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So like I said, how does that counter anything I have said? I have never argued that the types of fire are the same or that ICE is worse. No need to argue against known facts.

So exactly what are you trying to prove?
These quotes you posted below...
It doesn't matter that ICe vechiles may or may not catch fore more often, you are not comparing apples to apples.
ICE vehicles have batteries. And they catch fire more often than EVs. Even when parked in people's garages

Putting out a fully engulfed house fire takes the same amount of effort, no matter what the ignition source. And whether it's an EV or a ICE vehicle, they are both total losses after a fire. Doesn't matter how hot they burn or how hard it is to put them out

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Now, are you talking 100 vs 200 Amps? Because even still, I can’t remember the last time I installed a 100 amp service in anything less than a small workshop or barn. Most houses under 3500 sq/ft get a 200Amp service and over that are typically 400 Amps.

lots of older homes in L.A. county - my home was built in 1920's and upgraded my panel 2 years ago,
Even for people that want to go EV is not as easy. high prices, older homes or apartment living, lack of charging stations, higher insurance
and the fear of not being able to identified your tesla from the rest of the herd lol

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most new houses, as within the last 20+ years, have 240 "service" to the house, and any house with electric ranges or furnaces already have 240v service. It's just a matter of adding another circuit from fuse panel to the charging station. I believe Tesla, at least they used to, included the installation of the home charger in the purchase of the car.

As far as the fires, please tell me the percentage rates for EV fires compared to ICE vehicles. Don't worry, I will wait for some made up number, because there isn't anyone who has even tried to come up with it. Especially since the only ones you ever really see on the news are EVs.
here is another curve ball thrown into the mix in our beautiful state of CA
Hardly any single family homes are being sold in my area - almost every single home is being turn into a 4 or 6 unit building if the lot is big enough
A new law pass that allows new developments to either provide less parking space or no parking space so now even if you lived in a new apartment with an upgraded panel if you can't even park in your own home - how are you gonna charge there and keep your cost down - lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These quotes you posted below...
It doesn't matter that ICe vechiles may or may not catch fore more often, you are not comparing apples to apples.
Once again, nothing I have said is being countered by the videos you posted. I'm not disagreeing about the severity of EV fires. and the quote about the house fire stands. A fully engulfed house is going to take the same amount of time to put out, regardless of what car is in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread