5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The argument is muh savings on fuel. If I already own a ICE vehicle I am actually saving money not buying an electric vehicle to save money on fuel. Gas isnt that expensive when you look at actual use. As far as enviromental savings reusing and maintaining an existing vehicle is better than creating a brand new one. EVs are a novelty.
That's the argument you are going with. A lot of people switch to EVs because they are already looking at buying a new vehicle, so had they not purchased an EV, they would still have a car payment because they would have just purchased a newer ICE vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to buy gas for an electric but you still have to pay to charge it. I'm not an expert on this but from what I hear it is not that expensive charging at home but if you are out on the road and use fast chargers, I've heard anywhere from $25-$50 a charging session.
And it costs upwards after $100 or more to fill up these trucks depending on location. And most are lucky to make it 400 miles on a tank. So it can be more than double the cost to fuel up, with just as much range.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree about the insurance part. Only real thing I can't put a number on. Not only that it will be more expensive compared to a regular 1500....what concerns me is that payload and towing number put it in the range of a 2500 ram..which isn't going to be good.

As far as pricing wise...I see rivians here in the northeast that are used with 10k miles are selling at over $80k. Brand new, same model is $86k. I say that's a very good return. Some of that could be because it's brand new and folks are overpaying. Again...it comes down to regional thing.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
yep these are really heavy pigs - weight is now a new problem coming up, on multi stories parking structure not capable of holding the additional weight of too many EV's
There are still plenty of wrinkles that need to be work out as with anything new. So lets see how things move along in the next few years

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get it...for some, it doesn't work out. For me, the gas saving alone will more than offset any extras I have to pay for having an EV. The longer I have the EV the more saving I get.

Not having to worry about oil changes and changing that god- forsaken oil filter location is a plus for me...lol

I do see savings on early adopters, pre-pandemic buyers and people with solar

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the argument you are going with. A lot of people switch to EVs because they are already looking at buying a new vehicle, so had they not purchased an EV, they would still have a car payment because they would have just purchased a newer ICE vehicle.
that was me in 2021 - needed to go to a crew cab and wanted 4x4 - I consider maybe holding off and see if the lighting would land within my price range but saw that the prices were going up and mark ups and just realized no way I would be in one of them
I am not anti EV and have been in and out on them so whenever I purchase another new vehicle I will consider all options available that work for me and my wallet
well truck options I really don't see myself in a car or suv but who knows
By that time there will be more truck options and hopefully better pricing, maybe
range works for me, as well as charging options
my only personal beef with ev's is that of a simple minded fool - lack of exhaust noise - but I would just have to get use to it

GMetal

Reaction score
And it costs upwards after $100 or more to fill up these trucks depending on location. And most are lucky to make it 400 miles on a tank. So it can be more than double the cost to fuel up, with just as much range.
How much time does that 400 mile range recharge take? (Im not picking a fight just genuinly curious) Im certain amperage rates on charging stations and the cables are limited. Plus the vehicle has to cool the batteries at the higher charge rates. I know my truck takes about 10 minutes for a full tank for about 300 miles. My buddies with plaids and regular Teslas take much longer even at the supercharger stations.
Im not against EVs. They are impressive. I do wonder about the societal longevity of these vehicles. Poor people will be stuck when apartments dont have proper charging stations. People with 30 year old ICE trucks can still maintain their vehicles. What does 30-40 years from now look like with trades, gardeners, carpet guys, etc. when it come to old electric vehicles? Will they even be able to use a EV as effectively as the old used ICE trucks are being used currently? The right to repair also starts to come in when dealing with the complexity of EVs. Currently all makes are having problems with ICE vehicles they have been making for nearly 100 years. Whats the repair technology look like with electrics long term? Are we just turning vehicles into throw aways like our phones?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much time does that 400 mile range recharge take? (Im not picking a fight just genuinly curious) Im certain amperage rates on charging stations and the cables are limited. Plus the vehicle has to cool the batteries at the higher charge rates. I know my truck takes about 10 minutes for a full tank for about 300 miles. My buddies with plaids and regular Teslas take much longer even at the supercharger stations.
Im not against EVs. They are impressive. I do wonder about the societal longevity of these vehicles. Poor people will be stuck when apartments dont have proper charging stations. People with 30 year old ICE trucks can still maintain their vehicles. What does 30-40 years from now look like with trades, gardeners, carpet guys, etc. when it come to old electric vehicles? Will they even be able to use a EV as effectively as the old used ICE trucks are being used currently? The right to repair also starts to come in when dealing with the complexity of EVs. Currently all makes are having problems with ICE vehicles they have been making for nearly 100 years. Whats the repair technology look like with electrics long term? Are we just turning vehicles into throw aways like our phones?
And I'm sure when gas vehicles came out in the 1900's folks with horses had very similar questions...about lack of gas stations (back then...there was no infrastructure) , transporting gas safely, and range of the model t...with dirt hyways and places to stop.

Only thing I can say is that it's not for everybody just yet and over time it will get better. You are only looking at what is available right now.

It seems like just yesterday the tesla came out with the model S (in 2015) very little infrastructure was available here in the north east. Today, fast chargers are all over the north east. Tomorrow, not only are more charger are popping up in areas that don't have them, and now battery range is increasing.

Over time, it will get better. Remember the ford pinto and exploring gas tanks? They didn't give up on gas cars, they just redesigned it to make it better and safer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People with 30 year old ICR engines, that know how to work on them, can still maintain their vehicles. But more and more people aren't being taught basic mechanics skills. You think someone that doesn't even know how to check the oil in their vehicle is going to keep it maintained? Sure, they can pay a shop to do it, but you can do the same thing with EVs. Repair costs are higher because it's newer technology, lower volume, and the supply chain isn't configured for them yet. give it time, and with the government mandates, it will be cheaper to repair an EV than an ICE engine.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And I'm sure when gas vehicles came out in the 1900's folks with horses had very similar questions...about lack of gas stations (back then...there was no infrastructure) , transporting gas safely, and range of the model t...with dirt hyways and places to stop.

Only thing I can say is that it's not for everybody just yet and over time it will get better. You are only looking at what is available right now.

It seems like just yesterday the tesla came out with the model S (in 2015) very little infrastructure was available here in the north east. Today, fast chargers are all over the north east. Tomorrow, not only are more charger are popping up in areas that don't have them, and now battery range is increasing.

Over time, it will get better. Remember the ford pinto and exploring gas tanks? They didn't give up on gas cars, they just redesigned it to make it better and safer.

I've heard this analogy over and over. At first blush it makes sense. But after giving it some thought it doesn't quite line up. The difference between using a horse and using a vehicle with an ICE quickly became obvious. People weren't forced to stop using their horses. They switched because it made sense for them to do so. The difference between EV's and ICE powered vehicles is a lot less. EV's have been around for a long time. If it made as much sense to switch, more people would be doing that on their own. The fact that hasn't happened speaks volumes about the number of people who aren't comfortable with making the switch, regardless of their reasons.

GMetal

Reaction score

There is a lot of work to be done. Lots of power sources that also need to be created as more people adopt the technology. Here in the South the summers always put a strain on the power grid despite having nuclear power, solar plants, natural gas generators, and thousands of windmills generating current demand. Everyone seems to act like they never experienced summer every year.

Still leaves me wondering about the lower middle class, and poor and the ability of Americans being allowed to service and repair their own vehicles. I work on vehicles that are 50-80 years old. Without the right to repair they would all have been crushed. Luckily previous generations looked at the future and made sure that these things could be serviced and repaired. Entire industries make replacement parts for the old cars and trucks. That wouldnt happen with current right to repair laws they are pushing into law.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard this analogy over and over. At first blush it makes sense. But after giving it some thought it doesn't quite line up. The difference between using a horse and using a vehicle with an ICE quickly became obvious. People weren't forced to stop using their horses. They switched because it made sense for them to do so. The difference between EV's and ICE powered vehicles is a lot less. EV's have been around for a long time. If it made as much sense to switch, more people would be doing that on their own. The fact that hasn't happened speaks volumes about the number of people who aren't comfortable with making the switch, regardless of their reasons.
Still looking at the current picture...because that's all you have to base your thoughts on. You don't know what will happen tomorrow.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How long do you think ICE engines were around before they became common place? Technology, price, and lack of infrastructure kept most people from owning one until well into the 30's and 40's. If you weren't in major city, there weren't gas stations around. Farmers, that could afford them, were still using old steam engines into the late 20s. Then the smaller farm tractors from Farmall and John Deere came on scene with enough fuel stations to support them, but even then, many farmers still used horses for many chores around the farms.

And just like with ICE vehicles and gas stations the more lower population areas are going to be the last to get updated with quick chargers because the low number of people using them wouldn't justify the cost of installation.

As far as apartment living, well, that just sucks. I know many people in NYC don't even own ICE vehicles because there is no parking and public transportation is plentiful. And you are limited with parking in apartments as well, EV or not.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still looking at the current picture...because that's all you have to base your thoughts on. You don't know what will happen tomorrow.

How long do you think ICE engines were around before they became common place? Technology, price, and lack of infrastructure kept most people from owning one until well into the 30's and 40's. If you weren't in major city, there weren't gas stations around. Farmers, that could afford them, were still using old steam engines into the late 20s. Then the smaller farm tractors from Farmall and John Deere came on scene with enough fuel stations to support them, but even then, many farmers still used horses for many chores around the farms.

And just like with ICE vehicles and gas stations the more lower population areas are going to be the last to get updated with quick chargers because the low number of people using them wouldn't justify the cost of installation.

As far as apartment living, well, that just sucks. I know many people in NYC don't even own ICE vehicles because there is no parking and public transportation is plentiful. And you are limited with parking in apartments as well, EV or not.

You are both missing my main point. And that is the fact that EV's are being forced on us prematurely. The transision from horse to ICE powered machines did take a long time. But that was okay because it also took a long time for the infrastructure to take form. The state I live in has passed laws banning the sale of ICE powered vehicles starting in 2030. Essentially forcing people to buy something the state has mandated. There's no way that enough charging stations can come online that fast. This sort of thing never happened in the analogy you used, or in actual history. You can see the difference, can't you?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are both missing my main point. And that is the fact that EV's are being forced on us prematurely. The transision from horse to ICE powered machines did take a long time. But that was okay because it also took a long time for the infrastructure to take form. The state I live in has passed laws banning the sale of ICE powered vehicles starting in 2030. Essentially forcing people to buy something the state has mandated. There's no way that enough charging stations can come online that fast. This sort of thing never happened in the analogy you used, or in actual history. You can see the difference, can't you?
That's for new cars and trucks. You will have a huge used cars and trucks to pick from. You can also go out of state and order something from Mark dodge..haha.

2030...ice engines won't disappear from the face of the earth like your making it to believe.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
EVs aren't being "forced" on anyone. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy an EV

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's for new cars and trucks. You will have a huge used cars and trucks to pick from. You can also go out of state and order something from Mark dodge..haha.

2030...ice engines won't disappear from the face of the earth like your making it to believe.

Are you okay with state governments (or god forbid if this goes to a federal level) forcing this on the people then?

C'mon, I never said internal combustion engines would disappear. Please don't put words into my mouth. ;) Allow me to clarify my point...If I decide to buy a new car or truck in seven years, my only choice will be an EV or hydrogen powered one. If I chose to buy out of state that's fine, but it's been said I wouldn't be able to register it in my state if it's not electric. Sure, I'll be able to buy something used. But at this point in my life I prefer to buy new.

I'm not against electric vehicles. And I'd consider one if it would work for my use. I'm just not ready to switch yet and would like to be able to make that choice when it's right for me.

EVs aren't being "forced" on anyone. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy an EV
Stop being ridiculous. Who mentioned anyone being armed? :ROFLMAO:

They will in fact be forced on anyone who wants to buy a new vehicle after the effective date of this law.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you okay with state governments (or god forbid if this goes to a federal level) forcing this on the people then?

C'mon, I never said internal combustion engines would disappear. Please don't put words into my mouth. ;) Allow me to clarify my point...If I decide to buy a new car or truck in seven years, my only choice will be an EV or hydrogen powered one. If I chose to buy out of state that's fine, but it's been said I wouldn't be able to register it in my state if it's not electric. Sure, I'll be able to buy something used. But at this point in my life I prefer to buy new.

I'm not against electric vehicles. And I'd consider one if it would work for my use. I'm just not ready to switch yet and would like to be able to make that choice when it's right for me.

Stop being ridiculous. Who mentioned anyone being armed?

They will in fact be forced on anyone who wants to buy a new vehicle after the effective date of this law.
I think you are overthinking about this WAY too much. Nobody is taking anything away from you, not now and not in 7 years. I can 100% GARANTEE you that in 7 years, you will still buy a gas powered car....new or used.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Stop being ridiculous. Who mentioned anyone being armed? :ROFLMAO:

Well, there's still many years for that law to be overturned, once they realize the infrastructure isn't there to support their wild hair. Cali can barely keep the lights on without EVs.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Im not an environmentalist. Im not buying it to save the planet. I'd buy it to save me money on fuel. Cheaper to charge it than to fill the gas tank.
It's cheaper to charge than for gas right now. Wait until more and more people have them and are charging. Demand goes up, so will the price.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's cheaper to charge than for gas right now. Wait until more and more people have them and are charging. Demand goes up, so will the price.
And wait until fuel prices start going up because demand is dropping, but they still want to maintain profits

Users who are viewing this thread