5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will be really funny when they start reversing course on EV’s. I see it coming from a mile away.
Just read an article somewhere how ford is having trouble selling them (both gas and ev). Just like the rest of their trucks....it's TOO EXPENSIVE. Even gas trucks....ram shot themselves in the foot in increasing the base price by $4k with little to no change to the 5th gen rams. Chip shortage my a$$. They got greedy and got caught now with expensive trucks on the lot they can't sell.

If they want to sell them, make it cheaper. Tesla is lowering pricing after years of losing money.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Ramitinhard

Reaction score
It will be really funny when they start reversing course on EV’s. I see it coming from a mile away.
Hydrogen powered engines will overtake EVs in the next 5 years and 5 years will go by fast. Heck, I kept my Ecodiesel 7 years.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hydrogen powered engines will overtake EVs in the next 5 years and 5 years will go by fast. Heck, I kept my Ecodiesel 7 years.
Yikes....and it's 4 times more expensive than gas. No thank you

I want to reduce the amount of money I spend at the pump. Charging time doesn't matter to me when all i have to do is plug in when i get home.

I get that you hate electric cars...but I'm tired of spending $80-$100 at the pump. If I went the hydrogen route....that can be up to $400 each trip.

Lastly I love how all of a sudden anti electric folks all of a sudden care about the environment and want to go hydrogen when they have to spend 4x more.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unlike petroleum products, many of which are liquid at ambient temperature, hydrogen cannot be liquified unless it is extremely cold and/or highly compressed. And it has to be liquified or compressed to achieve practical vehicle refueling range. So unless there are breakthroughs in storage, transport, and fueling, hydrogen will continue to be very expensive. My $.02

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Speaking of compresses gases that are just soooo hard to manage and distribute, I always wondered what happened to propane powered vehicles. I had 5 different vehicles converted up in Canada back in the mid to late 90's and all were very cheap to run and fuel was everywhere, including very remote locations. One of my duel fuel trucks evan had a 1600 km range, (1000 miles). When I was running my Ford F250 with a 460, propane was $0.15/litre. That's a pretty decent cost savings on a truck getting 5MPG and the 10% loss in power was negligable. Cost to convert at the time was around $1000.

Fast forward to living in Georgia and South Carolina and Propane is near impossible to find other than the swap a tank places. I only found one place in Savannah that actually had a place to fill up a propane powered vehicle.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of compresses gases that are just soooo hard to manage and distribute, I always wondered what happened to propane powered vehicles. I had 5 different vehicles converted up in Canada back in the mid to late 90's and all were very cheap to run and fuel was everywhere, including very remote locations. One of my duel fuel trucks evan had a 1600 km range, (1000 miles). When I was running my Ford F250 with a 460, propane was $0.15/litre. That's a pretty decent cost savings on a truck getting 5MPG and the 10% loss in power was negligable. Cost to convert at the time was around $1000.

Fast forward to living in Georgia and South Carolina and Propane is near impossible to find other than the swap a tank places. I only found one place in Savannah that actually had a place to fill up a propane powered vehicle.
Propane is a good one. Don't know why that didn't take off and it's been around for ages.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Propane is a good one. Don't know why that didn't take off and it's been around for ages.

fear of explosions in crashes. most propane powered vehicles just had regular single wall tanks snd valves thsr could easily break off in a wreck. and gas was cheap and easier ti get back in the day.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes....and it's 4 times more expensive than gas. No thank you

I want to reduce the amount of money I spend at the pump. Charging time doesn't matter to me when all i have to do is plug in when i get home.

I get that you hate electric cars...but I'm tired of spending $80-$100 at the pump. If I went the hydrogen route....that can be up to $400 each trip.

Lastly I love how all of a sudden anti electric folks all of a sudden care about the environment and want to go hydrogen when they have to spend 4x more.

But the fuel mileage and range are also better than gasoline. And performance along with it. But just like electric right now there isn't infrastructure to support it as a viable option.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of compresses gases that are just soooo hard to manage and distribute, I always wondered what happened to propane powered vehicles. When I was running my Ford F250 with a 460, propane was $0.15/litre.

Yeah, propane (and LPG blends) is still a thing found in fleet, farm, and backup generators. It's not nearly that cheap these days, and being a hydrocarbon, doesn't fit the greenies' narrative.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, propane (and LPG blends) is still a thing found in fleet, farm, and backup generators. It's not nearly that cheap these days, and being a hydrocarbon, doesn't fit the greenies' narrative.
Just thinking it through (I have no research behind it), to get range equivalent to gasoline, the propane tanks would take up a large amount if space. That’s in relation to a thin metal or poly fuel tank with gas in it. I think it would also have to be able to handle severe impacts (i.e heavy).

I just thought about how often regulators freeze and/or go bad on forklifts. That would have to be improved upon also.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

What's going to happen to your electric bill when you are constantly charging everyday? Are you ok with stopping for an hour to make a short road trip?

Batteries lose some life every time you charge them too, so you get less range over time. I don't want to spend $20k to change batteries after a few years.

Not that I hate EVs, but they have their place. They are not saving the planet, and are not a viable option for most of us.

Looking for alternative fuels to EV doesn't mean I care about the environment any more than I did before. It's hoping for a better option that is sustainable. But you do you.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's going to happen to your electric bill when you are constantly charging everyday? Are you ok with stopping for an hour to make a short road trip?

Batteries lose some life every time you charge them too, so you get less range over time. I don't want to spend $20k to change batteries after a few years.

Not that I hate EVs, but they have their place. They are not saving the planet, and are not a viable option for most of us.

Looking for alternative fuels to EV doesn't mean I care about the environment any more than I did before. It's hoping for a better option that is sustainable. But you do you.
My solar panels pay for my electricity. Also...when you do research on it, depending on the time you charge can be cheaper ( you can schedule it...all you have to do is plug it in). You cant control gas prices when they go up...but I can with electric. The numbers I have would put me at $20 for every full charge (which I won't do a full charge) compared to my $60-$80 worth of gas.

In my situation (I can only speak for me) I have an extremely short commute and I would only have to charge literally 1 time in 2 weeks.

It will pay itself easily for me and a no Brainer. Btw...check your sources on batteries....they have alot long warranty than gas engines...at least 2-3 times longer.
It's a common complaint that anti ev folks love to use but doesn't have any real merit just an excuse.

Only folks that drive alot should avoid ev for now because of infrastructure but that is getting better

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Some of your arguments have been proven wrong. Unless there is a failure, you won't be changing batteries after a "few" years. There are EVs on the road that are over 10 years old still on original batteries. Does range take a hit, sure, but you lose fuel economy in a gas engine over time as it wears out also.

What do you consider a "short" road trip? You get a 300 mile range, even doing 70 MPH, that's still almost 5 hours, let's say you stop every 4 hours to be safe. Most EVs can hit 75% charge in 1/2 hour on a level 3 charger, which will get you another 3-4 hours. Plenty of time for a **** and grab some food to eat before getting back in the road. plan your route accordingly before leaving

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some of your arguments have been proven wrong. Unless there is a failure, you won't be changing batteries after a "few" years. There are EVs on the road that are over 10 years old still on original batteries. Does range take a hit, sure, but you lose fuel economy in a gas engine over time as it wears out also.

What do you consider a "short" road trip? You get a 300 mile range, even doing 70 MPH, that's still almost 5 hours, let's say you stop every 4 hours to be safe. Most EVs can hit 75% charge in 1/2 hour on a level 3 charger, which will get you another 3-4 hours. Plenty of time for a **** and grab some food to eat before getting back in the road. plan your route accordingly before leaving
Do you think you’ll end up owning an EV in the next 5 or so years?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

There are also some gas vehicles which have a 10 year old start battery that still works pretty good, and some only last 2 years. Not taking that chance with the extreme heat where I live.

300 miles isn't too bad i guess. I'd still rather have the option to stop and tank up wherever and whenever I want. I dont have to plan a trip in order to make sure a station has a level 3 gas pump before I leave.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

The argument for or against EV's tend to depend on where you live. No amount of convincing will get me to buy an EV until there is infrastructure in place that's equivalent to what we have for gas and diesel powered vehicles. In some places that may be close. I can only speak to the area where I live. And I can tell you that there are almost no chargers available to the general public here, of any level. Which means I'd have to do all my charging from home. That can conceivably work for people who live in houses and can run an extension cord. And don't drive out of town. Lots of people live in apartments here (campus especially) who don't have that option.

As far as range goes, 300 miles is decent. But manufacturers give range numbers for best case. What about during winter when we would need to run the heat. A vehicle rated with a 300 mile range is lucky to make it half that distance if it uses resistive elements for heat. I believe it was a Road and Track article I read which talked about how much the range is affected by the heater in winter.

In the end it's always been about consumer demand. Someone comes up with a better idea for vehicles and people will buy it if they think it will work for them. EV's have been around for a long time, yet people haven't taken to them for the most part. There are lots of reasons why, but those reasons don't really matter. What does matter is that people don't like being told what they will be buying. So when governments start telling people they will only be able to buy electric vehicles soon it's only natural for people to resist that. I have nothing against EV's in general. And I'd gladly own one if the infrastructure where I live supported them. Until that happens I'll keep driving gas and diesel powered vehicles.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My solar panels pay for my electricity. Also...when you do research on it, depending on the time you charge can be cheaper ( you can schedule it...all you have to do is plug it in). You cant control gas prices when they go up...but I can with electric. The numbers I have would put me at $20 for every full charge (which I won't do a full charge) compared to my $60-$80 worth of gas.

In my situation (I can only speak for me) I have an extremely short commute and I would only have to charge literally 1 time in 2 weeks.

It will pay itself easily for me and a no Brainer. Btw...check your sources on batteries....they have alot long warranty than gas engines...at least 2-3 times longer.
It's a common complaint that anti ev folks love to use but doesn't have any real merit just an excuse.

Only folks that drive alot should avoid ev for now because of infrastructure but that is getting better

Glad it’s working out for you. I know folks that have teslas and they say they like it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The argument for or against EV's tend to depend on where you live. No amount of convincing will get me to buy an EV until there is infrastructure in place that's equivalent to what we have for gas and diesel powered vehicles. In some places that may be close. I can only speak to the area where I live. And I can tell you that there are almost no chargers available to the general public here, of any level. Which means I'd have to do all my charging from home. That can conceivably work for people who live in houses and can run an extension cord. And don't drive out of town. Lots of people live in apartments here (campus especially) who don't have that option.

As far as range goes, 300 miles is decent. But manufacturers give range numbers for best case. What about during winter when we would need to run the heat. A vehicle rated with a 300 mile range is lucky to make it half that distance if it uses resistive elements for heat. I believe it was a Road and Track article I read which talked about how much the range is affected by the heater in winter.

In the end it's always been about consumer demand. Someone comes up with a better idea for vehicles and people will buy it if they think it will work for them. EV's have been around for a long time, yet people haven't taken to them for the most part. There are lots of reasons why, but those reasons don't really matter. What does matter is that people don't like being told what they will be buying. So when governments start telling people they will only be able to buy electric vehicles soon it's only natural for people to resist that. I have nothing against EV's in general. And I'd gladly own one if the infrastructure where I live supported them. Until that happens I'll keep driving gas and diesel powered vehicles.
I’m in that boat too. The closest charger to me is about an hour away (maybe more).

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad it’s working out for you. I know folks that have teslas and they say they like it.
I can only speak for myself and my situation. I live in the northeast where plenty of chargers are available. Someone maybe in the middle of the country might not have that option.

It would be cheaper for me to go electric...and I've just been waiting on better range. Now if they can make it cheaper...lol. that is where my money will go.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself and my situation. I live in the northeast where plenty of chargers are available. Someone maybe in the middle of the country might not have that option.

It would be cheaper for me to go electric...and I've just been waiting on better range. Now if they can make it cheaper...lol. that is where my money will go.

Yes! Cheaper is better!

Users who are viewing this thread