5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they are affordable, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I've actually looked into buying a used one for a local commuter car.
I've been watching. We're probably still a year or two away from replacing my wife's Audi Q5 (or demoting it to "3rd chair"), but there are a lot of vehicles popping up.

I live in Fort Worth but work for a company based in Mountain View, CA. I was amazed when visiting HQ that roughly 40% of ALL vehicles in that area (Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, etc.) were Teslas, with some additional EVs (Polestar, Rivian, Lucid, etc.). A combination of affluence and availability, I suppose. But it seemed commonplace and "easy" there. Gas is also nearly $6/gal in that area, making EVs that much more attractive.

It's too bad the Bronco EV won't arrive (supposedly) until the 2030 MY. Maybe the new Scout "RUV" will do the trick.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been watching. We're probably still a year or two away from replacing my wife's Audi Q5 (or demoting it to "3rd chair"), but there are a lot of vehicles popping up.

I live in Fort Worth but work for a company based in Mountain View, CA. I was amazed when visiting HQ that roughly 40% of ALL vehicles in that area (Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, etc.) were Teslas, with some additional EVs (Polestar, Rivian, Lucid, etc.). A combination of affluence and availability, I suppose. But it seemed commonplace and "easy" there. Gas is also nearly $6/gal in that area, making EVs that much more attractive.

It's too bad the Bronco EV won't arrive (supposedly) until the 2030 MY. Maybe the new Scout "RUV" will do the trick.
If I didn't have my Built to Serve Ram, which I thoroughly enjoy and had personal meaning to mez I'd definitely be looking at a Rivian R1T.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I didn't have my Built to Serve Ram, which I thoroughly enjoy and had personal meaning to mez I'd definitely be looking at a Rivian R1T.
My manager just picked one up off the lot, rather than waiting any longer on his order. He got a reasonable deal and will get it wrapped to his liking. But he also has an R1S on order and a Ram with the GT package for pulling his camper (among other vehicles).

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love a rivian...but price is way out of my league...and finally it doesn't have apple car play, andriod auto.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they are affordable, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I've actually looked into buying a used one for a local commuter car.
I was all about it in late 2021, but I’ve done an abrupt about face when I saw what goes into making them. It feels too much like I’m just shifting the really environmentally bad stuff to the infrastructure and manufacturing. I’ll reevaluate in 5-10 years, or if all gas engines somehow aren’t allowed on the road.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was all about it in late 2021, but I’ve done an abrupt about face when I saw what goes into making them. It feels too much like I’m just shifting the really environmentally bad stuff to the infrastructure and manufacturing. I’ll reevaluate in 5-10 years, or if all gas engines somehow aren’t allowed on the road.
That is true. It also makes us more dependent on China (not good), since we dont mine alot of nickel, cobalt, etc. Our govt won't tell you that tho. All you need to know is that there is no tailpipe on your vehicle, hence, the planet is saved.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im not an environmentalist. Im not buying it to save the planet. I'd buy it to save me money on fuel. Cheaper to charge it than to fill the gas tank.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that when gas is $10 a gallon that's when people will switch over. Besides...I'm dome with giving big oil companies money so they can inflate their prices by reducing the amount they produce. That's a global issue and not just a U.S. issue (you would be shocked with what Europe pays)

I'm all in with electric...as long as the range is good and prices come down.

GMetal

Reaction score
Has anyone done the math on gas spent yearly vs the cost of a new vehicle?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone done the math on gas spent yearly vs the cost of a new vehicle?
If your doing to do the math, don't forget all of the oil changes that come with it every 3-6 months...depending on mileage, while the ev you don't have that maintaince.

When you look at those numbers, it breaks even around the first 2 years. After that, the EV for the win big time because of no matainance. At least that's what my numbers look like.

GMetal

Reaction score
If your doing to do the math, don't forget all of the oil changes that come with it every 3-6 months...depending on mileage, while the ev you don't have that maintaince.

When you look at those numbers, it breaks even around the first 2 years. After that, the EV for the win big time because of no matainance. At least that's what my numbers look like.

Dont forget tires in your estimate. Heavy vehicles go through tires faster. Oil changes for me are $75 twice a year and about $3000 in gas yearly.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dont forget tires in your estimate. Heavy vehicles go through tires faster. Oil changes for me are $75 twice a year and about $3000 in gas yearly.
Also, Depreciation on a gas vehicle is alot higher then an electric. Losing about 30% right off the lot with a gas truck. Not worried about tires, because that comes down to mileage. Tires are same for both. Mileage and age comes to play.

Editing my post. Since I can’t compare my driving to the normal average…for some, yes changing tires will be part of it, but not for me. If the yearly ave is 15k miles and you have to replace tires at 40-45k…then your only good for 3 years maybe a little more. For me , I average 8-10k miles a year…so I can get away with 5 years on original tires.

Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, Depreciation on a gas vehicle is alot higher then an electric. Losing about 30% right off the lot with a gas truck. Not worried about tires, because that comes down to mileage. Tires are same for both. Mileage and age comes to play.

Insurance seems to be more expensive for EV's
Last I read ev's also depreciate just as bad if not worse than ICE
Here are some basic numbers - not including incentives just msrp or listing prices cause those depend on the market buyer's vs sellers
2023 built to serve - $57k - it feels like in between an xlt and a lariat to me, at least my current 2021
2023 Ford lighting xlt $66k - Lariat $77k
less $7500 tax credit
xlt - $2500 difference in vehicle cost - so after the 1st to 2nd year gas savings would offset higher vehicle value
lariat - $12500 difference in vehicle cost - 4-5+ years to offset value at $3k a year in fuel

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Insurance seems to be more expensive for EV's
Last I read ev's also depreciate just as bad if not worse than ICE
Here are some basic numbers - not including incentives just msrp or listing prices cause those depend on the market buyer's vs sellers
2023 built to serve - $57k - it feels like in between an xlt and a lariat to me, at least my current 2021
2023 Ford lighting xlt $66k - Lariat $77k
less $7500 tax credit
xlt - $2500 difference in vehicle cost - so after the 1st to 2nd year gas savings would offset higher vehicle value
lariat - $12500 difference in vehicle cost - 4-5+ years to offset value at $3k a year in fuel
I agree about the insurance part. Only real thing I can't put a number on. Not only that it will be more expensive compared to a regular 1500....what concerns me is that payload and towing number put it in the range of a 2500 ram..which isn't going to be good.

As far as pricing wise...I see rivians here in the northeast that are used with 10k miles are selling at over $80k. Brand new, same model is $86k. I say that's a very good return. Some of that could be because it's brand new and folks are overpaying. Again...it comes down to regional thing.

GMetal

Reaction score
You can't argue cost of fuel vs a new car. It just doesn't work like that.
The argument is muh savings on fuel. If I already own a ICE vehicle I am actually saving money not buying an electric vehicle to save money on fuel. Gas isnt that expensive when you look at actual use. As far as enviromental savings reusing and maintaining an existing vehicle is better than creating a brand new one. EVs are a novelty.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The argument is muh savings on fuel. If I already own a ICE vehicle I am actually saving money not buying an electric vehicle to save money on fuel. Gas isnt that expensive when you look at actual use. As far as enviromental savings reusing and maintaining an existing vehicle is better than creating a brand new one. EVs are a novelty.
I get it...for some, it doesn't work out. For me, the gas saving alone will more than offset any extras I have to pay for having an EV. The longer I have the EV the more saving I get.

Not having to worry about oil changes and changing that god- forsaken oil filter location is a plus for me...lol

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have to buy gas for an electric but you still have to pay to charge it. I'm not an expert on this but from what I hear it is not that expensive charging at home but if you are out on the road and use fast chargers, I've heard anywhere from $25-$50 a charging session.

Users who are viewing this thread