5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REV vs Ramcharger - who would buy a REV?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can't really look at the fuel milage as only the range specified for fuel alone, but total range when driving. Since most will never drive it far enough on a daily basis to ever need to use the ICE for power, you greatly extend the miles before you need to fill the gas tank. So you don't need to drive 200k miles to get the savings if you only have to fill the tank 2-3 times a year with normal daily driving
I couldn’t have said it any better. In addition, even if the price is $10k over a standard 1500, the current $7500 tax credit will bring that difference down to $2500.

Runagun

Reaction score
You can't really look at the fuel milage as only the range specified for fuel alone, but total range when driving. Since most will never drive it far enough on a daily basis to ever need to use the ICE for power, you greatly extend the miles before you need to fill the gas tank. So you don't need to drive 200k miles to get the savings if you only have to fill the tank 2-3 times a year with normal daily driving
As the owner of a Pacifica hybrid I definitely am waiting for the RAM charger. I think I have 48k mi on my Pacifica and less than 25% of it is gas usage. Normally I fill up gas once a month. It's a '21 hybrid.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the owner of a Pacifica hybrid I definitely am waiting for the RAM charger. I think I have 48k mi on my Pacifica and less than 25% of it is gas usage. Normally I fill up gas once a month. It's a '21 hybrid.
I'm also a pacifica PHEV and Ram 1500 owner excited by the Ramcharger. I love our Pacifica PHEV and a truck version would be very compelling.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I currently have a Kia Sorento PHEV with a ~32 mile EV range. Looking at my fuel mileage over the past 12 months, I drove roughly 14.5k miles, of which ~9.5k miles were in 100% EV mode, ~2k miles were in partial EV mode (EV propulsion but the ICE on for heat), and the remaining ~3k miles were in hybrid mode.

If the Ramcharger has a heat pump, looking at the exact same driving pattern over the past 12 months, I'd only have about 1000-1500 miles in generator mode. Given the disparity between electricity costs and gas costs here, the Ramcharger would be a slam dunk from a running $$ perspective compared to a Hurricane for my use case.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Rev will be the better option for anyone when the charging stations are numerous where you drive.

Charger will be a band aid till then for most. Will continue to be useful in remote areas.

I keep my trucks for 10 years usually. My 22 Laramie should take me to 32 at the least barring any huge problems or accidents.

I am looking forward to what is available then!!!

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rev will be the better option for anyone when the charging stations are numerous where you drive.

Charger will be a band aid till then for most. Will continue to be useful in remote areas.
How will it be the better option? Unless you have a 100+ mile daily commute where you might want the longer pure EV range. The Ramcharger is the best of both worlds. Decent EV range for most daily commutes, plus the extended range with the ICE/generator for long trips

Ramfancy

Reaction score
How will it be the better option? Unless you have a 100+ mile daily commute where you might want the longer pure EV range. The Ramcharger is the best of both worlds. Decent EV range for most daily commutes, plus the extended range with the ICE/generator for long trips
The rev will be better when charging stations are numerous because you won’t have to buy gas, a gas engine, or a generator and put it in a truck. Until then I agree with you, though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rev will be better when charging stations are numerous because you won’t have to buy gas, a gas engine, or a generator and put it in a truck. Until then I agree with you, though.
If you don't care about sitting at a charging station for 45 minutes to charge to get another 300 miles, vs a 5 minute stop to fill the gas tank for another 400 miles

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And, of course, when they are able to fully charge in about 5 minutes on a long trip towing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are people who already complain about having to stop more often if they don't have the 33 gallon tank

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
If you don't care about sitting at a charging station for 45 minutes to charge to get another 300 miles, vs a 5 minute stop to fill the gas tank for another 400 miles
I'll be interested to see actual charging performance. If the Rev can charge like the Hyundai/Kia EVs can, that stands to be a much less painful prospect than slower charging vehicles...presuming 350kw+ chargers are, ya know, actually there and actually functional.

Still not the truck for me, but it *might* not be painfully slow to charge when the stars align.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Charging and battery technology will get better/faster exponentially.

For now, I agree that the charger is much more reasonable for towing and general use.

It’s a band aid.. For how long.. who knows l. Especially for towing…

It will be less necessary as technology grows. A pure electric vehicle is much simpler and easier to build than an electric vehicle with a v6 engine and gas tank. It will be more desirable when you don’t need to sit for 45 minutes to charge and you don’t need to map routes based on charging availability.

These same issues were prevalent when gasoline cars became popular in the early 1900’s. Horses were much more practical and efficient. ….

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

For now, I agree that the charger is much more reasonable for towing and general use.

It will be less necessary as technology grows. A pure electric vehicle is much simpler and easier to build than an electric vehicle with a v6 engine and gas tank. It will be more desirable when you don’t need to sit for 45 minutes to charge and you don’t need to map routes based on charging availability.

These same issues were prevalent when gasoline cars became popular in the early 1900’s. Horses were much more practical and efficient. ….
Can a horse go 75+ mph?

Ramfancy

Reaction score
And, of course, when they are able to fully charge in about 5 minutes on a long trip towing.
Doubtful that you will ever get full charges that fast, but 80% charges will be quite fast in the not too distant future. The battery capacity is always the limiting factor…. Obviously harder with trucks that are towing.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doubtful that you will ever get full charges that fast, but 80% charges will be quite fast in the not too distant future. The battery capacity is always the limiting factor…. Obviously harder with trucks that are towing.
Then this blanket statement that you make would be incorrect:
Because, since I (and others) am part of “anyone”, then the REV would not be a better option for me, no matter how many charging stations there are.
The Ramcharger would be the perfect option for me for long trips towing since I can just gas up the whole way and not have to charge.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Then this blanket statement that you make would be incorrect:

Because, since I (and others) am part of “anyone”, then the REV would not be a better option for me, no matter how many charging stations there are.
The Ramcharger would be the perfect option for me for long trips towing since I can just gas up the whole way and not have to charge.
Then buy a charger.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What exactly is it a bandaid for? It fills a void between the limited range of EVs and 100% ICE with mechanical drivetrain. I like EVs, but understand the limitations. And it's not just lack of charging stations onkng trips

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pure EVs seem pretty pointless to me if you don’t have a decently short commute to be able to charge at home. Charging at a station for 1 hour to get 80% is unreasonable. Ram charger would be a good compromise.

cpetku

Reaction score
I couldn’t have said it any better. In addition, even if the price is $10k over a standard 1500, the current $7500 tax credit will bring that difference down to $2500.
From the IRS website...

In addition, the vehicle's manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) can't exceed:
  • $80,000 for vans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks
Also, how much does one need to make (annual income) to be able to afford payments on a truck costing $100K or more? That may trigger the income exclusion for EV tax credits...

Users who are viewing this thread