5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
would anyone know if the 21 big horn 6.4 bed has the option of getting the 33 gal gas tank? you cab build it that way on ram site. my salesman is telling me he can not on add it...i ordered and forgot to added it on. my order is still in D status. and if it can be added can i bypass the dealership and add it by calling some at ram?
thanks in advance for the info

Biesty

Reaction score
In order to add it you must also add either the Level 1 Equipment Group or Level 2 Equipment Group. If you have one of those then you add Sales Code NFF to get the 33 gallon tank.

Here are two Build URLs that reflect without the 33 gallon and with the 33 gallon tank. The only difference is the NFF sales code.
"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.html#...X8,EZH,DFR,DMC,DSA,Z6D,TUM,WBB,E1,A62,UAM,25Z"

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.html#...ZH,DFR,DMC,DSA,Z6D,TUM,WBB,E1,A62,NFF,UAM,25Z"

Hopefully this helps.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In order to add it you must also add either the Level 1 Equipment Group or Level 2 Equipment Group. If you have one of those then you add Sales Code NFF to get the 33 gallon tank.

Here are two Build URLs that reflect without the 33 gallon and with the 33 gallon tank. The only difference is the NFF sales code.
"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.html#...X8,EZH,DFR,DMC,DSA,Z6D,TUM,WBB,E1,A62,UAM,25Z"

"https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.html#...ZH,DFR,DMC,DSA,Z6D,TUM,WBB,E1,A62,NFF,UAM,25Z"

Hopefully this helps.
ok thanks for the info...i do have the level 2, so i guess he is doing something wrong... i don't understand why he would not want to do it for me. its not like they are busy ATM they hardly have any vehicles to sale on their lot.
Anyway to by pass them and have someone at RAm do it?

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so this was bugging me so i called RAM. RAM said i am now in scheduling sequence so nothing could be changed at this point. Ok i am fine with it but that doesnt take in factor i ask the salesman weeks ago to do this and he never got back to me. I guess live and lean. My truck is fully loaded down with safety features that i could possibly drive it for a year and sale it close to what i paid or more. My wife out of the blue said we should have got a 2500! i about hit the floor. Time will tell and i have to get this truck first! Thanks everyone for your help

Biesty

Reaction score
You should be able to upgrade it yourself once you get the truck with the parts and directions identified in this thread.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
You haven't signed anything yet I'm guessing. I'd see if theyd knock some $ off for their screw up. Or you could just refuse it. If you order a truck, you should be able to get what you wanted on it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should be able to upgrade it yourself once you get the truck with the parts and directions identified in this thread.
I can upgrade like you said. It just alot cheaper when its done during the build.. i think 495. No hassle doing the computer sales code and such

Biesty

Reaction score
Vapor Tubes.jpg

I have previously installed the 33 gallon tank and used part number 68307831AB for the vapor tube (34 1/2" long). I have a 2020 5.7L 4x4 Crew Cab and that vapor tube was a bit tight but did fit. It was definitely too long and added a little stress to the vapor tube. I recently discovered (thanks to TDP154) that 68307831AB is for a 33 gallon tank for 2019-20 3.6L V6 and 2019 5.7L but not for my 2020 5.7L. For 2020-21 5.7L 33 gallon the correct part is 57008595AA (31 1/2" long). There is also part number 57008597AA which is also identified for the 2020-21 5.7L 33 gallon tank (40 1/2" long) but not sure why it is so long. The correct part for me was 57008595AA and is a perfect fit.

Also if you look at the shape of the tubes you will also see that 68307831AB is a different shape on the right side compared to the other 3. That is the correct shape for 2019 5.7 but not for a 2020 5.7. Another reason that 57008595AA is a perfect fit for my 2020.

Note: I identify this all as for a Crew Cab but believe it also fits Extended Cabs.

Tellsch

Reaction score
That is odd, I used 68307831AB on my 2020 5.7l and it fit perfectly. It wasn't tight or crimped, seemed like the right part.

Biesty

Reaction score
That is odd, I used 68307831AB on my 2020 5.7l and it fit perfectly. It wasn't tight or crimped, seemed like the right part.
It may be a matter of how early of a 2020 you have. The key is likely the vapor tube you take off. You can see the one I took off and the 57008595AA part are shaped the same on the right side of the picture - a rounded bend and an additional 5 inches to the connector.

Vapor Tubes.jpg

You can see in the picture below (from Dixit I believe) his original tube is just like 68037831AB on the right side - more of a 90 degree elbow and less than an inch to the connector.

IMG_8185.jpg

Also my connection closest to the fuel tank now is in the exact same position as this picture below. With the 68307831AB on my vehicle the connector was further back about 3+ inches and definitely was a tighter than normal fit (although it did fit and probably would have been fine for the life of the vehicle, but I definitely knew it was tighter than it should be).

IMG_8196.jpg

Ultimately, I'd suggest people look at their existing Vapor Tube before ordering. If it is the 90 degree elbow and the forward connector is immediately next to the elbow then 68307831AB is probably right for them. If they have the rounded elbow and 5" to the forward connector from the elbow then 57008595AA is probably the right tube.

TDP154

Reaction score
Nice detective work, Biesty. Strange how there's so much discrepancy in these part numbers. The part number I used is 57008588AA and looks like the shortest one, and fit perfectly on my 2020 quad cab. I hate how there doesn't seem to be a definite answer on which ones are meant for which exact trims/options. Thankfully everyone else up to this point has been lucky (that we know of), getting one that works for them. For everyone else having trouble finding a mopar wholesaler site with good fitment descriptions, I've found factorychryslerparts.com to be the most helpful.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice detective work, Biesty. Strange how there's so much discrepancy in these part numbers. The part number I used is 57008588AA and looks like the shortest one, and fit perfectly on my 2020 quad cab. I hate how there doesn't seem to be a definite answer on which ones are meant for which exact trims/options. Thankfully everyone else up to this point has been lucky (that we know of), getting one that works for them. For everyone else having trouble finding a mopar wholesaler site with good fitment descriptions, I've found factorychryslerparts.com to be the most helpful.
so did you buy the parts for wholesale?

Biesty

Reaction score
The reason your part was a different number is because you have the Quad Cab. By going to the site you provided it lists the correct parts for the Quad cab and which one is for the 33 gallon tank.

Biesty

Reaction score
Since some folks are running without the third bracket without any issues. I wonder if just changing or adding the 33 gallon skid plate with some sort of spacer /block between the tank and skid plate would be sufficient. From what I remember the skid plate should be strong enough to support the addition weight without flexing. Perhaps another option????

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Actually, I recently discovered there is a crossmember that can be used and would give you what you are looking for. It is #22 in the diagram below. You can bolt this up without the longer skid plate and accomplish what you want but it is the crossmember for the longer skid plate to give it strength up front. The part number for the 33 gallon skid plate is 52029964AD, the crossmember part number is 68348386AB and the part number for the four hex nut/retaining clips to hold up the crossmember is 06508646AA. You will also need 4 M10x1.50 bolts to bolt the crossmember to the frame (I forget what length I bought). If you are bolting the skid plate to the crossmember you will need 2 more M10x1.50 bolts. Once in place this crossmember is plenty strong enough to be used to add support for the tank (it sits about 1" below the tank).

33 gallon tank parts diagram.png

Attachments

• 1623501568291.png
    1623501568291.png
    705 bytes · Views: 76

Bw1605

Reaction score
Do I need the skid plate? Don’t have one on the 23 gallon now

Last edited:

Biesty

Reaction score
Do I need the skid plate? Don’t have one on the 23 gallon now
Optional. Only if you want a plate to protect the underside of the tank. I had the skid plate on my 26 gallon tank and wanted it for my 33 gallon tank so I ordered one.

pcar

Reaction score
I finally installed my 33 gallon tank used the recommendations by jsandgren10 earlier in this thread using steel bar and the earlier bracket retrofit kit. It actually took me longer to fabricate the bracket and drill the frame than it did to drop and reinstall the tank. Was really easy. Pic shows bracket installation in progress. IMG_1941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread