5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

immersivenc

Reaction score
Anyone know how feasible swapping gas tanks would be? My mileage thus far has been pretty terrible and I’m kinda regretting not getting the larger gas tank.

I would think it could dropped in and replace/recalibrate the fuel level sensor.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it always boils down to the sales codes. If you were to get the mechanical parts installed you only need the bcm to be programmed. The bcm is what determines everything in the truck. all other modules grab their information from it. Its refreshed every time you start the truck

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know how feasible swapping gas tanks would be? My mileage thus far has been pretty terrible and I’m kinda regretting not getting the larger gas tank.

I would think it could dropped in and replace/recalibrate the fuel level sensor.
I agree and have thought the same thing.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It may not be that difficult. I inquired about this for a friend of mine regarding a 2015 Ram 1500. I was told that the fuel pump and gauge sending unit was the same for either the 26 or 32 gallon tanks. I think the mounting straps were the same as well. The problem may be the length of the fuel and emissions lines. Check with the parts people at your dealership and see how many differences there are between the two.

Ultimately, it may be the price of a new 33 gallon tank that stops you from doing this!

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001991 miles.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, if they charge $425 for the 33 gal upgrade I'd hate to see what they want for it all by itself - through parts.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Any body attempted this or found the parts that need to be swapped? Waiting on my truck to be delivered and was curious. I might or might not need to do the swap. But one downfall of this truck being smart is it knows what is and isn't on the truck, to include freaking bed lights!!!

John813

Reaction score
Supposedly some on FB have looked into it.
Breakdown from their dealer was
At least $800 for the tank
Adding in labor and flashing the truck(gas gauge) well over $1k

Stickherbush

Reaction score
Any updates to this?? I would love the bigger tank for when I go on trips. I bought my truck off a lot and They didn’t have any with the larger tanks. I pretty much got exactly what I wanted on the truck and I am in love with it as well as the deal I got. However I would like to do the retrofit to the larger tank. Anybody have any updates? Thanks

Zinger

Reaction score
Yes, if they charge $425 for the 33 gal upgrade I'd hate to see what they want for it all by itself - through parts.

Yeah, what a rip-job. This has to be one of the highest margin options available.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
Just the labor and equipment price to install that and get stuff calibrated may cost $1500

Users who are viewing this thread