5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

tjbarney

Reaction score
Can anyone describe how to use the Reinforce Fuel Strap instead of (or in addition?) to the 3rd mounting strap? My 2020 1500 has the 26 gallon tank and no bracket for the 3rd strap. There is a bolt end sticking out from the underside in the vicinity that I would think the strap would be attached to, but not the bracket welded to the frame?

tjbarney

Reaction score
Can anyone describe how to use the Reinforce Fuel Strap instead of (or in addition?) to the 3rd mounting strap? My 2020 1500 has the 26 gallon tank and no bracket for the 3rd strap. There is a bolt end sticking out from the underside in the vicinity that I would think the strap would be attached to, but not the bracket welded to the frame?
Wait, I see on the post where it is mentioned that it is only for the older gen body style and not the new style? Trying to figure out how much of an issue this missing 3rd strap is as I am ready to pull the trigger on the rest but don't want this to put an end to the install and then I have order all the parts for nothing.

eyerocks

Reaction score
When I ordered my tank the parts guy showed me a letter from FCA stating dealers can’t upgrade fuel tanks and advise customers not to also. So they won’t do it, probably a liability issue or maybe they don’t want to warranty the work/parts. Who knows but a local mechanic can if you ain’t got the time. It’s quite straightforward with patience and couple beers or a bowl depending on preference lol

eyerocks

Reaction score
I didn’t add the third strap as the original two hold the tank very tight. It’s been about 4 months zero issues. I’ll check placement and for any sags when it warms up here

tjbarney

Reaction score
I'm on a little bit of a time crunch to get this done before heading out on a couple month road trip hauling our travel trailer. I messaged Rammit's buddy about his strap bracket, but haven't gotten a response. So, I went ahead and ordered the reinforce strap, even tough somewhere I saw it was for the classic body style. Just in case it will work.

Side note on the tank if anyone is looking. I was actually able to order the tank through a dealer on Mopar's website that had the tank for $196 and was able to choose pick up at the dealer and just had to pay tax. Other dealers still had it for $275, but you may switch the dealer it shows you are shopping from on the top right and see if they have lower prices. I ended up ordering all the other parts through them as well, but for shipping. If I chose shipping, I just had to pay that, and not tax. I guess because the dealer I chose is in another state.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which website is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GMetal

Reaction score
Could be a EPA issue. EPA claims nobody can modify a vehicle from its configuration from the factory. They really are pushing for zero modifications.

tjbarney

Reaction score
Post question again in hopes that someone might know:

Has anyone with a new body style ram, no 3rd strap, been able to use the "Reinforce Strap" to be able to attach the 3rd strap? Just hoping to not have to do the welding route with another bracket.

If not, anyone have a low cost option for making a bracket mount?

tjbarney

Reaction score
Also, if the above can’t be answered, or possible. Anyone have good pics of where the bracket from ram it’s buddy is attached? He lost photos of how to install, location, etc. want to show someone that welds to see how much they would charge to install as it’s a pricey part to begin with.

How has everyone been doing with just two straps?

tjbarney

Reaction score
I thought the photos were in this thread somewhere. Since they're hosted server side they should still be here somewhere in the thread.

Edit: here Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank and this photo shows the sub frame that some trucks have from the factory for the third strap Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Thank you for posting the links to those! Did you do the upgrade? Need the third strap added?

Would love to hear from those that have been running for longer than a year without the 3rd strap to see if it is really necessary....

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I have not, I had the items sourced but things came up and I couldn't afford it. It's on the list still but probably 6+ months away still.

eyerocks

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the links to those! Did you do the upgrade? Need the third strap added?

Would love to hear from those that have been running for longer than a year without the 3rd strap to see if it is really necessary....
Just got back from a road trip from Illinois to northern California and took the southern route back roughly 5500 miles and zero issues. I don’t have the third strap but the first two are really snug. Also the 750ish mile range @22 mpg per full tank is awesome. Comma 3 did 95% the driving though

tjbarney

Reaction score
Just got back from a road trip from Illinois to northern California and took the southern route back roughly 5500 miles and zero issues. I don’t have the third strap but the first two are really snug. Also the 750ish mile range @22 mpg per full tank is awesome. Comma 3 did 95% the driving though

That's great to hear. Thank you very much!

eyerocks

Reaction score
The tank ain’t going nowhere lol but I’m looking to sell my 19 ram 1500 with all my upgrades as I switched careers. Is there a section here to do so? Thanks

Biesty

Reaction score
Post question again in hopes that someone might know:

Has anyone with a new body style ram, no 3rd strap, been able to use the "Reinforce Strap" to be able to attach the 3rd strap? Just hoping to not have to do the welding route with another bracket.

If not, anyone have a low cost option for making a bracket mount?
I used the 4th Gen Reinforce Strap. It’s a perfect fit but just not a bolt on replacement. You will still need to weld it in place to the frame rail or be very creative. It was a replacement for 4th gen straps that rusted out. Once in place it creates a mount point (same as factory) for the 5th Gen third strap. The aftermarket mount you referred to that has to be welded in is backwards from factory. I liked this 4th Gen mount better as it looks factory when done.

As far as if a third strap is required - that is a matter of opinion. Many will strongly recommend it based on risk - if the factory used it then they feel it’s risky to not use it. I can tell you I hooked up the first two straps before bolting up the third. I could hardly budge the tank with or without the third strap attached. Even with a full tank of gas and driving on rough terrain I personally feel the third strap is unnecessary.

An alternative to the third strap can be the skid plate. You could wedge something in place between the front of the tank and the skid plate. Make sure you get the cross member for the front of the skid plate or the front of the skid plate won’t support anything.

Biesty

Reaction score
This isn't my write up. I don't remember who provided this, but these are the directions I used to create my third strap setup. I ultimately did mine slightly different, but this is a good base.

Below is a sketch of a bracket idea. The last pic provided is the bracket I talk about in the sketch, it's a reinforcement bracket that was for older 4th Gen RAM's but I used it because it gives the slot needed to hold that 3rd strap, it's not my picture just one I found. But mine did come all painted black.

Now when I did mine I did it slightly different then the sketch, mainly because I didn't have time to go round up 1/2" thick flat steel. So mine I used a 5/16" thick bar but then used a 1" angle iron placed on its face and welded it to work as a strong back. If you choose to do something like that make sure you don't make the strong back the full length as you only have a little over 1/2" of clearance between the top of the frame and body of the truck. But you will see that I ran that flat bar over the top of the frame to the outer edge of the frame and then bolted it to the angle iron on the inside.

I also welded all my brackets to the truck including the bracket from Mopar since I already had the welder out. However the nice thing with the bracket is it does come with threaded inserts so you don't have to drill through the entire frame for it, just the inside frame and place the inserts, all bolts are included as well for the bracket. I recommend placing the flat bar/angle iron first and then you will want to put the Mopar bracket as far up close to the angle iron as possible so that you won't end up with it being too low and the tank strap not cinching up tight.

Since I welded mine I don't have bolt sizes, but you get the idea from the sketch, but you will need to measure the frame width for bolt length, and depending on what thickness angle iron/flat bar you use will need to measure for those.

There isn't much weight on that third strap as the tank is pretty small up there but this will give that support needed. Also make sure to get a fairly long all-thread style bolt for the bolt that will be used to tighten the 3rd strap as you will need some length to tighten it up. I also got a small piece of rubber that I stuck to the bottom of the strap to ensure a tight fight.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions. I don't have exact lengths so I recommend you buy longer of each and then just cut them down to size. I placed the new tank in place and took measurements and then dropped it and built the bracket.

1672679076629.png

Attachments

• 1672679092052.png
    1672679092052.png
    92 KB · Views: 77

Biesty

Reaction score
Here is some additional information from previous posts:

Installation ideas:

Correct Vapor Tube selection: (make sure you compare the front of your existing vapor tube to the pictures in these links - it will help you order the correct one)

Alternative front support (this is for a cross member for the front of the 33 gallon skid plate but could also be used to support the front of the tank)

One more great write up including the skid plate cross member

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread