5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrofitting the 33 gallon tank

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Range towing with the small tank is not a fun time in the Midwest, I need to look at doing this sooner than later. As I don't want to get rid of the truck honestly. I see some are using AlfaOBD (just have a pulsar in my truck, not an AlfaOBD) to calibrate the truck for the tank etc. Who has had luck with dealers reprogramming the truck for this larger tank? Any names or anything of what needs turned on?

Conundrum

Reaction score
Range towing with the small tank is not a fun time in the Midwest, I need to look at doing this sooner than later. As I don't want to get rid of the truck honestly. I see some are using AlfaOBD (just have a pulsar in my truck, not an AlfaOBD) to calibrate the truck for the tank etc. Who has had luck with dealers reprogramming the truck for this larger tank? Any names or anything of what needs turned on?
I just wish I could find a dealer somewhat close that is willing to do the swap. So far, no luck.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I work for a dealership. But not at the Chrysler location. I have a friend that is a Chrysler tech. I need to try to catch him next time I am up that way and see how he feels about it.

Meen318

Reaction score
Ok, so I finished the 26 to 33 gallon swap today. My truck suddenly stopped taking fuel from the pumps so I decided just to change everything including the capless filler neck. It fills perfectly now and will help on long trips and towing. Luckily my truck was equipped with the third strap mount. I ran into one issue with the vapor tube being a little bit too long. It works but I'm trying to figure out what part number is the correct one. My truck is a 2019 2wd Quad Cab 5.7 eTorque. I bought 68307831AB but I do see 2 more part numbers listed for the 33 gallon. 68307848AB and 68298314AB. By looking at the pictures it seems the one ending in 314 is the shortest one? Both the original and purchased 33 gallon hose (831) have the short 90 degree elbow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230614_104605.jpg
    20230614_104605.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230614_132401.jpg
    20230614_132401.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20230614_171142.jpg
    20230614_171142.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Meen318

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered vapor tube 68298314AB and turns out that it looks exactly the same as the original one I ordered 68307831AB. Picture of the tubes side by side and picture of both part number tags.

Attachments

• 20230705_101415.jpg
    20230705_101415.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230705_103409.jpg
    20230705_103409.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 56

Biesty

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered vapor tube 68298314AB and turns out that it looks exactly the same as the original one I ordered 68307831AB. Picture of the tubes side by side and picture of both part number tags.
I can't guarantee anything but this is from really old notes I had on part numbers (but I think this is for the 2020 and up models)

57008588AA Big Horn, Laramie, Lone Star, Rebel, Tradesman, 5.7 gas (33 gallon - Quad cab)

Meen318

Reaction score
I can't guarantee anything but this is from really old notes I had on part numbers (but I think this is for the 2020 and up models)

57008588AA Big Horn, Laramie, Lone Star, Rebel, Tradesman, 5.7 gas (33 gallon - Quad cab)
Yeah I read that post you wrote about this tube. You are right about the one end up front by the engine. 2019 has the 90 degree elbow and the 2020+ has the 90 plus a few inches before the fitting.

barrak

Reaction score
Post #544 lists the mounting hardware needed for the 33-gallon tank skid plate and an optional front crossmember. My understanding is the list excludes reclaimed mounting hardware from the replaced shorter skid plate.

If so, what if there weren't a pre-existing 26-gallon tank skid plate? What other mounting hardware that might be needed? Is there a second required/optional crossmember?

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Man this upgrade would be sweet, but maybe after the warranty expires. It's already getting 23.5 mpg mixed city/hwy commuting (V6), just over 500 miles on a 23 gal tank. The 33 gal would bring that up to over 700 easy. And a lot better range for that one weekend a year I'm towing. Also a nice supply for the 7500W portable generator in case the lights go out. But I don't know if anyone equips a V6 with 33 gallons, and dealers refusing the work means something is up.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Man this upgrade would be sweet, but maybe after the warranty expires. It's already getting 23.5 mpg mixed city/hwy commuting (V6), just over 500 miles on a 23 gal tank. The 33 gal would bring that up to over 700 easy. And a lot better range for that one weekend a year I'm towing. Also a nice supply for the 7500W portable generator in case the lights go out. But I don't know if anyone equips a V6 with 33 gallons, and dealers refusing the work means something is up.
With a Hemi!!

Attachments

• IMG_9439.jpeg
    IMG_9439.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 62

Biesty

Reaction score
Post #544 lists the mounting hardware needed for the 33-gallon tank skid plate and an optional front crossmember. My understanding is the list excludes reclaimed mounting hardware from the replaced shorter skid plate.

If so, what if there weren't a pre-existing 26-gallon tank skid plate? What other mounting hardware that might be needed? Is there a second required/optional crossmember?
Mostly nuts/bolts and maybe one hanger.

bullmack

Reaction score
I ordered my 2023 Ram Limited in late December. It was ordered pretty much fully loaded with a 6'4" bed. It arrived in late March which was just in time to get the truck set up to drive across country. Getting my new ARE color matched canopy installed was job #1.

One small problem - the factory built a short bed truck. This was a factory screwup not the dealer. Of course the canopy wasn't going to fit. The dealer made good on that by paying for the 6'4" canopy, paying a $200 expedite fee for a replacement canopy, and the price difference between the two beds. I never thought about the tank size until the first time on the road I filled it up. Yup 26 gallon. I've been after the general manager for 2 months to install a 33 gallon tank. Finally one of his assistants is involved and she says no-can-do because of DOT regs. I guess I can sorta of see where the longer tank on a short bed will be closer to the rear of the truck and a rear end collision could be an issue. Dealer says they can reimburse me $475 for the parts difference. What a load of crap that last part is!

disarm

Reaction score
They build short bed trucks with the big tank all the time. I would keep pushing the dealer to get you what you ordered.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Frame is different between the 33 and 23-26 gallon..missing the welded in 3rd fuel tank hanger… and no parts kit/numbers available for said 3rd hanger…….there is simply no way that a dealer is going to install a 33 gallon tank.. they would need to weld/fabricate something….. no way in heck they are going to accept that liability…. ONLY way anyone is getting a larger tank installed if they do it themselves…. End of story….if you get anyone else to do it for you , they are simply foolish or ignorant….Just trade the damn thing in……it is a truck, 1/2 a million Ram trucks a year produced! Yours is nothing special…… get the one you want……

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered my 2023 Ram Limited in late December. It was ordered pretty much fully loaded with a 6'4" bed. It arrived in late March which was just in time to get the truck set up to drive across country. Getting my new ARE color matched canopy installed was job #1.

One small problem - the factory built a short bed truck. This was a factory screwup not the dealer. Of course the canopy wasn't going to fit. The dealer made good on that by paying for the 6'4" canopy, paying a $200 expedite fee for a replacement canopy, and the price difference between the two beds. I never thought about the tank size until the first time on the road I filled it up. Yup 26 gallon. I've been after the general manager for 2 months to install a 33 gallon tank. Finally one of his assistants is involved and she says no-can-do because of DOT regs. I guess I can sorta of see where the longer tank on a short bed will be closer to the rear of the truck and a rear end collision could be an issue. Dealer says they can reimburse me $475 for the parts difference. What a load of crap that last part is!
It's not a factory screw up, it's the dealer. Totally different choices made when ordering. Dealer checked wrong box. It is built by what the dealer checked.

Users who are viewing this thread