5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing my TOW mirrors with Power Folding - 10% Cyber Monday

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I was first given a FedEx tracking number, but to find out that they generated the label that they ship to Mopar for Mopar to use to send your mirrors. So just because you received a tracking don't think it is on its way. Infotainment ships the Genie & Bypass, but the mirrors, switch and controllers come directly from Mopar (or Info's Mopar distributor...not sure but think there may be another company in the middle). Info told me that the switch and controllers were new for '19 (the switch sure looks the same to me, but what do I know - just ask my wife...haha). Anyway, just like to get the stuff...then I will have the real challenge and figure out how the hell to put the damn things on. Think I should have just ordered the parts myself. Don't think there is any magic in what Info is doing...think they are just ordering parts from other companies (Genie & Mopar).

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Early on we also had issueswith the power fold not working. So, when you buy a new truck...regardless of price...why wouldn't anyone check to see if features work.

Then you would know what you didn't get and then the dealer could help find a power folding mirror.

I know...new truck everything should work...well, plenty of people say all makes have issues.

So when you buy a truck, especially ones this expensive...you should check stuff to work.

When I test drove a new 2018 Ram 2500 with off road package...I even tested the hill descent...cause I read their were issues.

I believe it was @firecadet613 that made the delivery checklist. A new truck does need gone over.

Believe me, this tow mirror debacle, surround view, and heated mirrors is the biggest blunder I have ever seen.

But the info was there, even in January.

But I got to agree with @Old Ray...his doesn't show on the window sticker...which is both odd and aggravating.

Dealers don't really know anything about their vehicles. Very, very few do.

Even the parts guy is clueless most of the time.

Hope this is figured out and something is done...but it is a hard discussion to win, some have better chances than others.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The heat is the one that really gets me. My 99 and 03 both have heated mirrors. The 03 came factory with the tow mirrors...the 99 I put them on aftermarket.

Why a truck in 2018 does not have heat is very troubling. Especially on a tow mirror.

Hope you guys going the aftermarket route get more support.

Hope the parts work and you can enjoy your trucks.

lasstss

Reaction score
I was first given a FedEx tracking number, but to find out that they generated the label that they ship to Mopar for Mopar to use to send your mirrors. So just because you received a tracking don't think it is on its way. Infotainment ships the Genie & Bypass, but the mirrors, switch and controllers come directly from Mopar (or Info's Mopar distributor...not sure but think there may be another company in the middle). Info told me that the switch and controllers were new for '19 (the switch sure looks the same to me, but what do I know - just ask my wife...haha). Anyway, just like to get the stuff...then I will have the real challenge and figure out how the hell to put the **** things on. Think I should have just ordered the parts myself. Don't think there is any magic in what Info is doing...think they are just ordering parts from other companies (Genie & Mopar).

Well if any consolation I looked into the prices for all of the parts. Info is not making big money on this kit. I think all they get off is buying as a dealer.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Well if any consolation I looked into the prices for all of the parts. Info is not making big money on this kit. I think all they get off is buying as a dealer.
Well that is good to know. I figured they were marked up a fair amount. Hoping to get all right parts end of week and put this behind me and just enjoy driving. Love everything else on truck, except mirrors.

ibang1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear with the incorrect mirrors being sent out. I think I’m going to the dealership and get the VIN with the option I need instead of giving my VIN. I hope the mirror will be resolved soon. I’m curious how all this install will work.

lasstss

Reaction score
Sorry to hear with the incorrect mirrors being sent out. I think I’m going to the dealership and get the VIN with the option I need instead of giving my VIN. I hope the mirror will be resolved soon. I’m curious how all this install will work.

I have been taking vehicles apart and putting them back together for years. I may attempt to put a video of it together to help others.

notqwik

Reaction score
So has somebody started a thread collection how many people are affected/disappointed by these mirrors? Someone said that the number of people that are upset is statistically small. Only way to disagree with that is to start collecting names/userID's ...... please put me on that list also

SacRebel

Reaction score
FWIW I’ll add my 2-cents.

My Rebel with the Level 2 package also came with the Tow Group, which was not an option I desired..but came with the truck. Because of this I lost out on a feature I would have really liked. I for one have to fold in my mirrors to park in the garage, which means rolling down the windows and manually pulling them in. Not exactly something I look forward to when it’s raining. And then to read the previous posts about replacing them at $1,400 is kinda disheartening.

However, this isn’t an issue I care to push with Dodge or the dealer. But if anything comes of it later count me in!

WRH

Reaction score
I disagree... it isn't he dealer's job to inform you.
I agree that early adopters had conflicting information but FCA has made changes to make the changes clear.

Consumers need to educate themselves... no one trusts dealers and yet they are going to believe them when they are trying to sell you a vehicle?

Would I like to have folding tow mirrors, sure... I don't really care about he front camera or the 360... a kit to make the tow mirrors foldable would be great.

Sorry, but a couple of vocal people on forum does not a 'negative public relations situation' make...

I disagree. My sticker said "folding mirrors." Why would I assume it wouldn't have that? It wouldn't take much to update the sticker printing software so if the Tow Package is added, the "Folding Mirrors" feature is then not printed so as to confuse consumers.

kjn86

Reaction score
I will add my experience to lend to the case that there are more unhappy people than some will let on about this. I would make the assumption that nearly everyone who got the trailer tow group would be unhappy to know they lost heated and folding mirrors to get the tow mirror. Further, upon checking, the majority of the Rebels at my largest local dealership all have the trailer tow group, so it is not an early ordering or an early adopter problem.

The part that bothers me most is that I lost out on more expensive features by adding a group that really isn't that great. As others have said, I spent $400 for a tow group and lost out on $1000(?) of features for very little gain. If it were something like the 9-speaker system or the 33-gal tank that I don't have BUT I didn't pay for, I would be fine. But I paid MORE and received less as I see it. And to make it worse, I didn't even want the tow group, but it was on the model that I liked best. I was fully aware the windows didn't fold in and didn't mind (at the time), but I didn't even check to see if it was heated as I assumed this would be standard on any vehicle near this expense. I haven't had one without heated mirrors since 2005 and they weren't premium vehicles. The fact that I paid for the group and lost out on the more expensive mirrors is just silly. I do not see how this makes any sense.

I would personally be happy with just heated tow mirrors. And I do not like the tow mirrors either. Now that I see it wasn't an "upgrade" at all, I am really unhappy about this. Otherwise very happy with the truck. In the long-run, this is not a major deal, but I wanted to contribute to this so Ram can see what a misstep this was.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
If you're an impatient SOB (like me), these are the parts that I ordered. These plus the OBDGenie and it all works perfectly!

mirrors 68276506AD 68276507AE
modules 68424179AA 68319954AE
switch 68262252AC

Mirrors are dimmable, heated with puddle light, blind spot indicator and turn signal. Got the part numbers using Laramie VIN.
@gybob Where did you buy yours?

Reactions: Rau

Bellpa

Reaction score
If you're an impatient SOB (like me), these are the parts that I ordered. These plus the OBDGenie and it all works perfectly!

mirrors 68276506AD 68276507AE
modules 68424179AA 68319954AE
switch 68262252AC

Mirrors are dimmable, heated with puddle light, blind spot indicator and turn signal. Got the part numbers using Laramie VIN.

So for less than $1k all of these parts can be had and then find someone who doesn't need their OBDGenie to program??...

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Great...are yours black textured? Do you have any pix you could post? I may go this route.

Did you pull the ejection handle on your order with Infotainment? I know the longer this drags on, the more tempted I am to do so... :censored:

notqwik

Reaction score
So does anybody know if the OBD genie tied to one truck? - Could it be sold after using to enable the folding mirror option?

Will you need it again after the dealer "flashes" your firmware to fix some other issue? Guessing they know what the proper options that should be enabled on your truck via the VIN and will leave it in the default factory mode after an update.

Also depending on the dealership, if you have firmware/software issues (and we all will at some point) is the dealer going to say "well you have this unsupported modification to your system ...... we can't tell if it is the modification OR something under warranty, so we aren't going to touch it." - I do software development, and that is the first thing we say when customers have made modifications. Generally we just wipe out everything and start from scratch if we know there has been custom un-tested modifications to our baseline.

Would it be better to wait some and buy one of the more featured programmers I've been hearing about .... one that lets you back out modifications or repeatedly re install modifications?

Users who are viewing this thread