5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing my TOW mirrors with Power Folding - 10% Cyber Monday

gybob

Reaction score
So does anybody know if the OBD genie tied to one truck? - Could it be sold after using to enable the folding mirror option?

Will you need it again after the dealer "flashes" your firmware to fix some other issue? Guessing they know what the proper options that should be enabled on your truck via the VIN and will leave it in the default factory mode after an update.

Also depending on the dealership, if you have firmware/software issues (and we all will at some point) is the dealer going to say "well you have this unsupported modification to your system ...... we can't tell if it is the modification OR something under warranty, so we aren't going to touch it." - I do software development, and that is the first thing we say when customers have made modifications. Generally we just wipe out everything and start from scratch if we know there has been custom un-tested modifications to our baseline.

Would it be better to wait some and buy one of the more featured programmers I've been hearing about .... one that lets you back out modifications or repeatedly re install modifications?
OBDGenie can be purchased for single or for multiple vehicle use. I will definitely keep mine in case a future FCA software upgrade overwrites or corrupts the mirror fold software..

notqwik

Reaction score
gybob - On your mirror partnumbers, do you mind verifying:

Chrome cap
heated
blind side indicator
power folding (of course!)

Thanks much! .... getting ready to order parts today.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now if they can hurry up and get the front camera available to purchase. I want to add that to my truck.

kjn86

Reaction score
Yes! All of the above. All functions work perfectly.

@gybob - you already had heated tow mirrors with blind spot and now you have heated, power-folding 6x9 mirrors with blind spot? I understand the Limited tow mirrors have heat whereas for some reason (I am getting mad just typing this) my Rebel tow mirrors are unheated.

Also, please confirm if you do or do not have 360 now also.

I appreciate it.

djeazie

Reaction score
Im picking up my new 1500 on Friday. It has the sport package with the power fold mirrors. I have a set of power fold tow mirrors that I bought for my 4th gen. I'm gonna put them on the new truck. So I'm hoping since the new truck has power fold mirrors and I have power fold tow mirrors to put on it, that I'll be set. Hopefully it works. I'll report my findings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Just a heads up everyone, the mirrors from the 4th gen will not work. Totally different mounting points.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a heads up everyone, the mirrors from the 4th gen will not work. Totally different mounting points.

Then this explains the debacle. They didnt expect the tow mirrors to be a big pick. They just made some real quick to offer. The tow mirrors are coming with the 4.5 Gen and the 2020 1500.

The tow mirrors became popular and were advertised very poorly and bam...we are where we are

notqwik

Reaction score
So with this debacle on the non-power folding, lack of proper advertisement tow mirrors on part of RAM ...... When it comes down to it, I would rather have the tow mirrors, I just need them to power fold (can't get in garage with out folding). What are the chances of the 2020 RAM towing mirrors power folding?

Hate to wait, but if they were to offer a power folding tow mirror for 2020 ????

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So with this debacle on the non-power folding, lack of proper advertisement tow mirrors on part of RAM ...... When it comes down to it, I would rather have the tow mirrors, I just need them to power fold (can't get in garage with out folding). What are the chances of the 2020 RAM towing mirrors power folding?

Hate to wait, but if they were to offer a power folding tow mirror for 2020 ????
I have no real idea, but I do believe the 2019 4.5 Gen Ram 2500 will have surround view Heat and power fold.

I feel if they do, the 1500 will get them very quickly to slow the uprising of disgruntled tow mirror purchasers.

I understand the surrounds view, I get they don't have power fold...but no heat on a truck that comes standard with it.

And I don't agree with how they handled it, and how cryptic it all was, but I hope the people following along, and others about to be in this position will:
1. Read the feature guide, familiarize yourself, and ask questions...do not expect a dealer or salesperson to know anything about a Ram truck.
2. Look at the truck and window sticker, make sure the option is there.
3. Most important, check out our checklist here and make sure the options you want actually work and are there as thought. Make the salesman go over ever detail with you, they are supposed to familiarize you with the truck...make them, educate them, and be sure your truck does what you expect it too.

notqwik

Reaction score
@devildodge - That list is to be applied w/every purchase a person makes in his/her life. Otherwise these kind of things happen.

Really should be buyer beware and everyone should be on defense especially when this kind of money is involved. No dealer is going to give you your money back after you discover the vehicle doesn't have the features you want or thought you purchased.

I've owned greater than 40 vehicles over my life, most have been GM only a couple of mopars (Jeep). Just got out of a F150, and this is my first experience with RAM. Hasn't been a great experience so far. Not the worst, but far from the best - way below average imo. Dealership experience wasn't great - and now this issue with the mirrors. (Don't even ask about the mileage BS ..... 22 mpg, maybe if down hill both ways! Hell, I like to get close to 20)

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, @notqwik, but there are plenty of people who really had to have powerfold mirrors...but never tried them out before they dropped 40 to 60 grand only to find they didnt have them.

notqwik

Reaction score
I agree, @notqwik, but there are plenty of people who really had to have powerfold mirrors...but never tried them out before they dropped 40 to 60 grand only to find they didn't have them.
Maybe I wasn't clear ...... I am one of those who didn't verify the vehicle before laying down the money. Just "assumed" the mirrors would fold as I had driven the GMC Denali and the Ford F150 platinum earlier in the week and had went over them very closely. Could not imagine a $68k MSRP loaded truck could even come with mirrors that don't power fold. Still surprised RAM would attempt to push that through with out making it very clear.

In my case I asked the dealer about the 360 - said "yea it has that" - but in the heat of the moment, I did not make them demonstrate it. Took their word, my fault I know, should have been smarter about it. Sometimes you trust people and they F you over.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear ...... I am one of those who didn't verify the vehicle before laying down the money. Just "assumed" the mirrors would fold as I had driven the GMC Denali and the Ford F150 platinum earlier in the week and had went over them very closely. Could not imagine a $68k MSRP loaded truck could even come with mirrors that don't power fold. Still surprised RAM would attempt to push that through with out making it very clear.

In my case I asked the dealer about the 360 - said yea it has that - but in the heat of the moment, I did not make them demonstrate it. Took their word, my fault I know, should have been smarter about it. Sometimes you trust people and they F you over.
Yes I did misunderstand you. I thought you were telling me that writing that list was stupid cause everyone should do that.

People need to check things. We have trolls here saying how unreliable Ram is...but no one seems to makesure stuff works.

@firecadet made a list of things to check.

Just trying to educate people.

I am on month 12 of trying to justify a 1500...been researching everything, now in 8 days it starts againwith the 2019 4.5 Gen HD, and at the end of April...I may be buying a 2018.

kjn86

Reaction score
If I were to buy a set of tow mirrors that came off a limited that HAD heat (mine does not), what else would I need to do to get the heat to work? I already have tow mirrors that aren't heated. Anyone know if I could just plug them in and be done?

I found an older model Rebel in a parking lot today and he had tow mirrors...but they were heated. I can't even understand why they'd even have tow mirrors without heat as part of an upgrade.

Thx.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@devildodge -. (Don't even ask about the mileage BS ..... 22 mpg, maybe if down hill both ways! Hell, I like to get close to 20)

Blame the EPA that allows the performance of one vehicle trim (likely the lightest) to used across all trims. While it may be prohibitive to test *every* configuration, they should at least test out the various trims with 'standard' equipment.

gybob

Reaction score
@gybob - you already had heated tow mirrors with blind spot and now you have heated, power-folding 6x9 mirrors with blind spot? I understand the Limited tow mirrors have heat whereas for some reason (I am getting mad just typing this) my Rebel tow mirrors are unheated.

Also, please confirm if you do or do not have 360 now also.

I appreciate it.
I do not have the 360 camera - rear camera only. Wasn't willing to purchase the more expensive mirrors that have the cameras, plus the front grill with the camera just to see if someone could come up with the software to make it work.

notqwik

Reaction score
I do not have the 360 camera - rear camera only. Wasn't willing to purchase the more expensive mirrors that have the cameras, plus the front grill with the camera just to see if someone could come up with the software to make it work.

Surprised there are SO many configurations of mirrors for these trucks - with and without folding/with and without heat etc. Must give the parts man fits.

Legalmontana

Reaction score
So has somebody started a thread collection how many people are affected/disappointed by these mirrors? Someone said that the number of people that are upset is statistically small. Only way to disagree with that is to start collecting names/userID's ...... please put me on that list also
Add me to the list of being disappointed because of mirrors

Users who are viewing this thread