5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall: Tailgates coming open

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
light on dash

leave it open and start truck
I think he means, how do you know if you have the sensor (but it's disabled, and just needs to be enabled with AlfaOBD).

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Kind of glad I turned on the tailgate warning with alfaobd

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but is alfaobd akin to what the tazer does?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think he means, how do you know if you have the sensor (but it's disabled, and just needs to be enabled with AlfaOBD).
Not all tailgates come with the right-side latch with the limit switch if the feature wasn't OEM-enabled.
It seems that with MY'22 you have to add the switch and enable the feature with AlfaOBD. I did.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all Rams have the sensor in the tailgate that sends the ajar signal. I agree that Ram should enable this feature on all trucks with the sensor.
what trim does have the ajar sensor working from factory? does someone knows? wondering if my laramie has it (since im injured and can barelly move around i cant go check if i have that)

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 rebel had the tailgate ajar lamp listed in the build sheet, but it was not enabled and according to the dealer could not be enabled unless I had the multi function tailgate or parallel park assist. This is a bunch of crap as I went in with alfaobd and enabled it myself in under 2 minutes.

I haven’t tried with my 2022 yet as it’s to new for me to make changes that could affect my warranty. The tailgate ajar warning lamp is NOT on the build sheet for my 2022.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Bighorn has the warning from the factory. Option level 1 with regular tailgate

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but is alfaobd akin to what the tazer does?
Technically, it's the other way around. alfaObd had more options to enable factory options. TazerDT has live features that alfaOBD will never be able to do

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s some info so the next 10 pages of a thread that isn’t even about the tailgate ajar warning aren’t taken up trying to determine what trucks are equipped with the warning:
- All 2019-2021 DT Rams are equipped with the correct passenger side tailgate latch that has the ajar sensor.
- Which trim levels/packages/etc that the dash warning was included in those model years are irrelevant. It’s all over the place. If you have it, you have it. If you don’t, you don’t, and you’ll never get an explanation as to why.
- For 2022 DT Rams, if the tailgate warning indicator feature isn’t listed on your build sheet, then the truck is not equipped with the correct passenger side tailgate latch, and has no sensor that is capable of displaying the dash warning. It will have to be swapped out for the correct one before enabling the feature.
- AlfaOBD can enable the feature. I don’t know if tazer can.
- No matter how much you cry and complain about it, Ram will never….ever…retroactively enable the dash warning feature on trucks that didn’t come equipped with it from the factory.
So, if you want the dash warning, just suck it up and get AlfaOBD to enable it. If you don’t want to do that, then it’s obviously not that important to you.
*Note about the last statement*- unless adding the warning is the fix for the recall. But I can’t see that as a fix because it doesn’t address the reason for the recall- the tailgate randomly opening in the first place.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

RECALL: 1,234,657 Ram Pickups For Misaligned Tailgate Strikers!​

Covers 2019 to 2022 Ram 1500, 2500, & 3500 Pickups...​

1671050033197.png

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling approximately 1,234,657 units in the U.S. of its 2019 to 2022 Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 pickup trucks. Those trucks’ tailgates may not latch properly due to misaligned tailgate strikers, which could result in the tailgate opening while driving.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You and me both. I sprayed some dry lock lube on the latches today hoping it would take care of (or at least help) the issue. I guess we'll see once it works it's way around the mechanism in a couple of days.

I did not have this issue with my old 2019 Laramie. Then again, I had a regular tailgate vs the multi-function one I have now. Not sure if it makes a difference.
I feel it latch shut, it just doesn't register digitally. I didn't try kicking it from the inside to see if it would open though.
I also have an MFT. I had to take it apart when I got it as the driver side MFT would not open properly and had to install either 6 or 9 washers (I forget) for it to work and lock properly.
It properly closed, just not opened so that's ok in Ram's eyes. I even had a dealership telling me it was normal for my drivers side to not stay open

I had mine open just once. Unfortunately, I lost ~$2000 of ammo and another $1000 worth of Christmas gifts because of it. I immediately got AlfaOBD and activated the tailgate ajar warning to ensure it never happens again. I reported the lost ammo to the police, but it was never found. They said they received a call about a bunch of ammo on the road, but by the time they got there, it was all gone.
Calls the police, "There's a bunch of ammo on the road".
*proceeds to park and pick it all up to use later and not tell anyone.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Remove tailgate access panel....look at harness connected to passenger side latch...2 wires there means no tailgate ajar....4 wires means it is the switch for tailgate ajar.

If you have 4 wires, you can just enable with Alfa. If not, you can swap out the switch and harness, then enable. Parts are less than $100.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Mine dropped while I had a trailer on it. Scratched the tailgate badly. I have a 2020 with the MFT and the warning light. It did warn that it wasn't fully closed, only noticed when the surround camera was blacked out at the back.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine dropped while I had a trailer on it. Scratched the tailgate badly. I have a 2020 with the MFT and the warning light. It did warn that it wasn't fully closed, only noticed when the surround camera was blacked out at the back.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
The recall isn't for MFT

Users who are viewing this thread