5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall: Tailgates coming open

Clayinfla

Reaction score
DETROIT (AP) — Stellantis is recalling about 1.4 million pickup trucks worldwide because the tailgates may not close completely and cargo could spill onto the road.

The recall covers Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2019 to 2022 model years.

The company, formerly Fiat Chrysler, says it found that striker plates on the pickups may not be lined up right to allow complete closure. Stellantis says it’s not aware of any related crashes or injuries.

Most of the recalled trucks are in North America.

Dealers will inspect the tailgate striker alignment and adjust it if necessary. Customers will be notified starting Jan. 27. In the meantime, Stellantis says owners should make sure they secure any cargo in the beds.

Pickups with “multi-function tailgates,” the Ram 1500 Classic, and trucks with sensors that alert drivers to unsecured tailgates are not affected by the recall, the company says.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Interesting. Mine has fallen open twice. First time I thought the guys at the camper store didn't close it all the way, but then it happened again a few weeks later. Luckily nothing fell out but it did get damaged and broke the button off the power tongue jack on the trailer (they replaced that).

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
DETROIT (AP) — Stellantis is recalling about 1.4 million pickup trucks worldwide because the tailgates may not close completely and cargo could spill onto the road.

The recall covers Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2019 to 2022 model years.

The company, formerly Fiat Chrysler, says it found that striker plates on the pickups may not be lined up right to allow complete closure. Stellantis says it’s not aware of any related crashes or injuries.

Dealers will inspect the tailgate striker alignment and adjust it if necessary. Customers will be notified starting Jan. 27. In the meantime, Stellantis says owners should make sure they secure any cargo in the beds.

Pickups with “multi-function tailgates,” the Ram 1500 Classic, and trucks with sensors that alert drivers to unsecured tailgates are not affected by the recall, the company says.
some posters are saying recalls are only for safety issues

what is unsafe about this?

30 states do not permit riders in the bed.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Will they be repairing dents and replacing lost cargo for those previously affected?
I second this. Mine has opened twice, first time I thought the guys at the camper store didn't close it all the way. It popped open otw home broke the power tongue jack and got dented. They fixed the jack but refused to fix the tailgate (which still pisses me of but **** them) and the second time was a few weeks later. Luckily nothing fell out that time.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I remember a similar recall on my 4th Gen. Didn’t they learn something from that one?🤨

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First there was a TSB for tailgate cables that were different lengths. Now this?

I have noticed my new '22 requires shutting the tailgate hard to fully close it. My '20 didn't.

Dewey

Reaction score
First there was a TSB for tailgate cables that were different lengths. Now this?

I have noticed my new '22 requires shutting the tailgate hard to fully close it. My '20 didn't.
I have a Bed Rug in mine with the attached tailgate cover that restricts closing slightly. Really have to slam the tailgate to get it to latch. So far it hasn’t popped open on me. If it does I’ll adjust the striker myself. Not gonna take it in for something so simple.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
still do not see it as unsafe as plenty of vehicles loose crap all the time and they do not issue a recall
Commercial truckers losing loads face huge fines, and if it causes accidents the company or person who owns the truck is liable.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram could just enable the tailgate ajar warning that all 5th Gen rams are built with and owners wouldn’t have to enable it themselves.

Snotadoodge

Reaction score
You and me both. I sprayed some dry lock lube on the latches today hoping it would take care of (or at least help) the issue. I guess we'll see once it works it's way around the mechanism in a couple of days.

I did not have this issue with my old 2019 Laramie. Then again, I had a regular tailgate vs the multi-function one I have now. Not sure if it makes a difference.
Same for me. Hate seeing the light say it is open, when it is closed, but not slammed.

One time the gate did open while I was driving and I was very lucky nothing fell out.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Ram could just enable the tailgate ajar warning that all 5th Gen rams are built with and owners wouldn’t have to enable it themselves.

Not all Rams have the sensor in the tailgate that sends the ajar signal. I agree that Ram should enable this feature on all trucks with the sensor.

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the part I don't understand is that this recall doesn't apply to trucks with the tailgate-ajar sensors. If a latch is going to open and dump my sh1t on the highway, it's a problem regardless of whether I know it just happened or not.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I had mine open just once. Unfortunately, I lost ~$2000 of ammo and another $1000 worth of Christmas gifts because of it. I immediately got AlfaOBD and activated the tailgate ajar warning to ensure it never happens again. I reported the lost ammo to the police, but it was never found. They said they received a call about a bunch of ammo on the road, but by the time they got there, it was all gone.

Rebond

Reaction score

Wouldn't this just entail loosing the torx bolt and adjusting it, which anyone can do?

I had to adjust my passenger side tailgate striker bolt, both passenger doors strike plates and drivers hood bump stop so all were flush with the body after purchase. Just didn't feel like driving 70 miles round trip and wasting a day for the dealership adjust them.

Even my tailpipe tips had to be adjusted after they heat cycled and drooped, but that's a simple adjustment too.

Users who are viewing this thread