5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that would be a pretty standard Laramie, maybe even a little light on options (sun roof, etc.). The question only question is rear end gearing.

As others have noted, a Laramie with a 3.92 vs a Rebel... the Laramie might get about 1 mpg (18-19 mpg vs 17-18 mpg) better real world fuel economy on the highway with comparable payload and towing.

RHeller1

Reaction score
Or get the best of both worlds and get a level 2 laramie sport and put the rebel suspension in it. Life is good!

TSL

Reaction score
You'll probably get a little less MPG with the Rebel but it will be tough to quantify. The Rebel has more aggressive tires and is less aerodynamic so there will be some loss there, but where you drive, how you drive, how much highway vs city driving etc. will have a bigger impact IMO than trim level.

Payload and towing will depend more on options and the rear axle ratio than anything else. My Rebel can tow over 11,000 and has a payload of 1,499 pounds. A Laramie, fully loaded with a 3.21 rear end will have substantially less in both categories... but a less optioned Laramie with a 3.92 rear end will be similar to mine.

I think it really comes down to what kind of deal can you get for either truck, and which truck "speaks to you" more.
Any thoughts on how much payload on the Rebel I'd lose by adding RamBoxes ? My wife and I were discussing how the Ramboxes would be a nice feature when camping with the kids, handy access to smaller items without climbing into the bed of the truck. However, at some point ( when we recover financially from buying the truck, haha ) we'd like to get a travel trailer. Probably something around 4k to 5k lbs would be my guess. ( Personally, I would buy an off-road tear drop trailer myself, but not ideal when there's 4 of us ). An up to 5k trailer could probably give us anywhere up to 600lbs of payload depending on the tongue weight.
Current options selected for the Rebel build are : 5.7 Hemi/Etorque | spray-in bedliner | Elec shift on demand transfer case | Mopar tubular side steps | 33 gal tank | trailer brake controller | Comfort&Convenience Group | Level 2 Equip Group | U Connect 5 with Nav
Thinking maybe I should stop there if I want to tow anything !

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how much payload on the Rebel I'd lose by adding RamBoxes ? My wife and I were discussing how the Ramboxes would be a nice feature when camping with the kids, handy access to smaller items without climbing into the bed of the truck. However, at some point ( when we recover financially from buying the truck, haha ) we'd like to get a travel trailer. Probably something around 4k to 5k lbs would be my guess. ( Personally, I would buy an off-road tear drop trailer myself, but not ideal when there's 4 of us ). An up to 5k trailer could probably give us anywhere up to 600lbs of payload depending on the tongue weight.
Current options selected for the Rebel build are : 5.7 Hemi/Etorque | spray-in bedliner | Elec shift on demand transfer case | Mopar tubular side steps | 33 gal tank | trailer brake controller | Comfort&Convenience Group | Level 2 Equip Group | U Connect 5 with Nav
Thinking maybe I should stop there if I want to tow anything !
I wanted RAM boxes, but there weren't any on the dealer lots when I was shopping. I don't think any amount and/or combination of options would prevent you from towing a 5,000 pound travel trailer... Ram Boxes included.

TSL

Reaction score
I wanted RAM boxes, but there weren't any on the dealer lots when I was shopping. I don't think any amount and/or combination of options would prevent you from towing a 5,000 pound travel trailer... Ram Boxes included.
I just found the Payload sticker thread on this forum and read through all 44 pages of posts ! Looks like the RamBoxes may weigh in at around 163lbs. Learned that eTorque costs maybe 80 to 100lbs payload and the 33gal tank subtracts about 73 lbs ( it includes the weight of the extra 7 gals gas ). Very interesting thread.
In any event, my sense from reading it all is that I should indeed by capable of towing ~ 5k lbs whatever the options are as you say.
Thanks for replying too. I should get out of the habit of "Post first, research later" :), there's so much information on this forum, it's amazing. I've been asking dealers questions and they seem to have no idea about a lot of stuff !

chris288

Reaction score
had a 09 1500 trx, 15 laramie, ended up going w/ the 22 Rebel, just wanted something different, already had a laramie for 6 years. I test drove 5th gen laramies and rebels and the laramie was very similar to my 2015, the rebel feels truckier and the ride is a bit more wallowy and there is a bit of tire noise. Avg. mpg of my 15 was 20-21 hwy and 16 city. The Rebel is avg. about 18-19 hwy and 14-15 city, so mpg definitely takes a hit. now as far as the laramie w/ ORG i went back and forth quite a bit before ordering the Rebel. It the end it just came down to the Rebel being kind of unique and different. except for the mpg i really like the Rebel.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
had a 09 1500 trx, 15 laramie, ended up going w/ the 22 Rebel, just wanted something different, already had a laramie for 6 years. I test drove 5th gen laramies and rebels and the laramie was very similar to my 2015, the rebel feels truckier and the ride is a bit more wallowy and there is a bit of tire noise. Avg. mpg of my 15 was 20-21 hwy and 16 city. The Rebel is avg. about 18-19 hwy and 14-15 city, so mpg definitely takes a hit. now as far as the laramie w/ ORG i went back and forth quite a bit before ordering the Rebel. It the end it just came down to the Rebel being kind of unique and different. except for the mpg i really like the Rebel.
You definitely see fewer Rebels than you do Big Horns and Laramie's (which can be really tough to differentiate IMO). It's nice to have a truck that stands out and has "presence".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You definitely see fewer Rebels than you do Big Horns and Laramie's (which can be really tough to differentiate IMO). It's nice to have a truck that stands out and has "presence".
I'm my area, I see more Rebels than I do Laramies. BigHorn are definitely the most popular due to price point.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regional differences are funny. It was wrong for me to assume what I see here in New England would be the same elsewhere. But, am I the only one who thinks Laramie's and Big Horn's are tough to distinguish, particularly with certain packages... like the Night Edition?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Regional differences are funny. It was wrong for me to assume what I see here in New England would be the same elsewhere. But, am I the only one who thinks Laramie's and Big Horn's are tough to distinguish, particularly with certain packages... like the Night Edition?
Certain packages definitely end up with similar looks across different trim levels.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Super easy. The Big Horn doesn't have fender flares. Most Big Horns have halogen head lights too.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's always a double to triple take for me. Guess it's just me.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a Big Horn with fender flares. My 2020 Ecodiesel Big Horn had the ORG and did not come with fender flares
You're right. I just tried to build a Big Horn with ORG and it does not include fender flares.

TSL

Reaction score
From what you've said @chris288 , and what others have said here, it seems about 2mpg difference between Rebel and Laramie, on average, seems to be the case. Maybe even 1mpg for Laramie with ORG. I just played with the numbers, assuming on average ( city / hwy combined ) 17 for Rebel, 19 for Laramie. If gas costs $3 / gal, then the Rebel at 17 mpg costs $0.176 / mile while the Laramie costs $0.158, so the difference is $0.018 / mile. If someone drives 10k miles / year, then it costs an extra $180 on gas to drive the Rebel.
At $3.50/gal this goes up to $217, at $4/gal its $248, at $5 / gal it's $309 extra.
It would add up over the years, but it's not a massive increase in operating cost per individual year.
By the way, do you use Regular or MidGrade gas ? I thought I saw somewhere that mid-grade is recommended.
I'm coming to a truck ( haven't bought one yet ) from an '07 Subaru Outback turbo engine. I get 22 to 23mpg on average and have to use Premium gas. My gas cost per mile is in the $0.17 to $0.18 range, so it' rather amazing to me that running a Hemi V8 might not cost me much, if any, more than my current vehicle !

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what you've said @chris288 , and what others have said here, it seems about 2mpg difference between Rebel and Laramie, on average, seems to be the case. Maybe even 1mpg for Laramie with ORG. I just played with the numbers, assuming on average ( city / hwy combined ) 17 for Rebel, 19 for Laramie. If gas costs $3 / gal, then the Rebel at 17 mpg costs $0.176 / mile while the Laramie costs $0.158, so the difference is $0.018 / mile. If someone drives 10k miles / year, then it costs an extra $180 on gas to drive the Rebel.
At $3.50/gal this goes up to $217, at $4/gal its $248, at $5 / gal it's $309 extra.
It would add up over the years, but it's not a massive increase in operating cost per individual year.
By the way, do you use Regular or MidGrade gas ? I thought I saw somewhere that mid-grade is recommended.
I'm coming to a truck ( haven't bought one yet ) from an '07 Subaru Outback turbo engine. I get 22 to 23mpg on average and have to use Premium gas. My gas cost per mile is in the $0.17 to $0.18 range, so it' rather amazing to me that running a Hemi V8 might not cost me much, if any, more than my current vehicle !
I'd be surprised if its 2mpg difference in the real world, provided both have 3.92 rear axles. If you're talking about a Laramie with a 3.21 rear axle, then perhaps that's right. Rebel's only come with 3.92's vs Laramie's give you the option to choose.

Reactions: BGL

Users who are viewing this thread