5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package

ArizonaIsland454

Reaction score
I'm looking to turn in my 2019 Bighorn lease early for a new truck. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the on/off highway ride between a Laramie with the off road package and a Rebel? My head is spinning between these two trucks. Any insight to help me make a decision? Thanks!

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I had the same question when I was looking and for me it came down to the fact that the Rebel is specific built for off-road with upgraded suspension and a 1" factory lift. The other parts like the air suspension and underbody protection and electronics are basically the same. The Laramie has ventilated (not AC'd) seats which the Rebel does not/

So... Pay for the factory suspension upgrade and a different grill (Rebel) or pay almost the same thing for the look of the Laramie....

I liked the look of the Rebel grill, the two tone black color scheme better than the grey two tone of the Laramie.

In the end my build two prices were pretty similar when I took into account the difference and aftermarket costs to make one match the other (comparison wise.)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO the only appreciable difference is the tires... the Duratrac's on a Rebel are more aggressive offroad and as a result buzz more than the Falken's on road. Also it can be argued that the Bilstein's will give slightly better offroad performance than the Hitachi's for the Off Road Package but there's nothing definitive. Both trucks are great... go with the one that speaks to you more, you won't regret it.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm looking to turn in my 2019 Bighorn lease early for a new truck. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the on/off highway ride between a Laramie with the off road package and a Rebel? My head is spinning between these two trucks. Any insight to help me make a decision? Thanks!
If you get the ORG in the Laramie you’ll get the 1” lift like the Rebel . I believe the ride is about the same but the Rebel will have more tire noise on the road as CaptainCJ35 said .

Scram1500

Reaction score
The Rebel only comes with the 3.92 ratio where the ORG lets you decide

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Rear seats in the laramie recline slightly, rebel do not. Payload will take a slight hit of +/-100lbs in laramie trim for similarly built truck vs a rebel for some reason (more wiring in the body harnesses?). Rebel has 33" Duratrac vs. smaller falkens on the Laramie ORG. Aftermarket support for the non-rebel 1500's seems to be slightly higher than what is available for rebel for some absurd reason. Can get 6'4" box in the laramie with crew cab, rebel cannot (only with quad cab). Two tone on rebel is free, pay for laramie. Sport hood comes standard with rebel, believe it's a $995 (CDN) option on laramie.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
REBEL
Bilstein shocks
Stronger transfer case (If you don't get the Auto 4x4 option, which I guess is an option now in the 21s?)
1in Factory lift
Wrangler Duratracs

The rest is comparible to the ORG

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I had a similar dilemma and ultimately went with the Rebel after getting a lot of feedback on this forum. My wife hated the suede trim that was on the Laramie leather, I mean hated it. I didn't like that I couldn't get 18" wheels on the Laramie with the ORG package. I also liked having the Bilstein shocks over the Hitachis. Only thing I might miss from the Laramie is the ventilated seats, but honestly I had them on my last truck and never really felt like they made a difference.

Someone talked about road noise in the Rebel. I drive 25 miles all highway one way to work and this truck is far more quiet than I would've ever imagined. I feel like I'm in a luxury car that I can take offroad. It's awesome.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The approach angles on the Rebel are much greater due to the front skid plate vs the spoilers on the standard truck. Departure angles equally suck thanks to the exhaust tips.

Redfour5

Reaction score
One guy online does a review with a Rebel and a Bighorn side by side and gives the nod, from a value standpoint, to the Bighorn with the off road package. He noted that the ONLY difference is tires and the Bilstein shocks as it relates to the ORP specifically, but the price difference isn't worth it in his opinion... He does note the approach angle being better on the Rebel and, as noted, the more aggressive tires... But, at first new tire purchase, put on Bilsteins and K02's and it sounds about equal other than noted differences.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I was also looking at the Rebel and Laramie when I was shopping. I didn't consider the ORP option because I was going to level my truck anyway and most of the ORP stuff wasn't useful to me. I did not drive a truck with the ORP package. Other than a little extra tire noise on the Rebel, I didn't notice much of a difference in ride between the Laramie and the Rebel. Certainly not enough to pick one over the other based on ride. I don't like the wheels and tires for either model, so that was eliminated as a deciding factor.

In the end it came down to the look of the trucks. I just don't like the front end on the Rebel. I don't like two tone paint, so that wasn't a factor either. I wouldn't have ordered my truck with ventilated seats, but now that I have them, I won't buy another truck without them. Someone mentioned that the rear seats of the Rebel don't recline, but I'm not sure if that's true. I've had back seat passengers mention that the recline feature made the back seats more comfortable.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the looks of the rebel put me over the edge. blacked out taillights and emblems, skid plate, mustache grille, black/red interior. I love it all. I also love the looks of the Laramies, but the Rebel styling takes the cake for me... and that is why it's in my driveway.

Jbenevides89

Reaction score
I have been in 3 different Laramies and my rebel has a better ride that all of them. As far as noise, I drive 60 miles a day at 75 ish MPH and its a very quiet ride. My friends who have Laramies all think the seats in the rebel are softer. The shocks are a noticeable difference as well.

Nick57

Reaction score
I absolutely love the ride of the air suspension. Been in a lot of rebels and had a big horn. The airride with the orp is the way to go imho

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't like that I couldn't get 18" wheels on the Laramie with the ORG package.
Are you sure about that? From the Ram web site, you can, as long as you don’t add one of the appearance packages (night, southwest, or sport), which come with 20” wheels. Standard wheel for Laramie with ORG is still 18”, according to the site.

jedgar81

Reaction score
I think it also depends on if you are going to be doing mods to it. If you like the off-road look and are going to keep it stock the Rebel is the way to go. If you are going to be upgrading suspension, tire, bumpers, etc then you lose the perks of the Rebel anyways. For me I was able to get a MUCH better deal on a Bighorn with ORG and I knew suspension etc was getting replaced right away so it made more sense for me. I also got chrome 20's from the factory (had the ORG and Sport Packages) but was able to sell them easily and get a set of factory 18s for dirt cheap used.

dunehiker

Reaction score
I had a 2020 Bighorn with the ORG so for me it was a matter of the more distinctive looks of the Rebel but I also liked that it was designed with off-road use in mind. But I'll add that I also missed having leather and some other features in the higher trims so I decided to go with the Rebel.

But again, as others have mentioned it's mostly a matter of what you plan to do with your truck. If planning to heavily mod might not make a difference. One big difference might be if using off road heavily and the Rebel's better transfer case vs the Auto 4x4 type (not sure if there's an option or not on other trims).

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? From the Ram web site, you can, as long as you don’t add one of the appearance packages (night, southwest, or sport), which come with 20” wheels. Standard wheel for Laramie with ORG is still 18”, according to the site.
I wanted the night edition which took the 18" wheel out as an option which makes no sense if I can get the 18" black wheel on the Rebel with night edition. Either way I'm very happy with the Rebel. I commute 25 miles each way to work on the highway and this truck is quiet and smooth in my opinion. Off road it's smooth as well.

Users who are viewing this thread