5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Why I chose Rebel over Laramie with Off-road package:
1. Steel bumpers and bash plate. That's a huge deal for off-roading, plus no problems if you scratch the bumper - it is fixed with a sand paper.
2. Stronger transfer case (mine doesn't have 4x4 Auto option)
3. Bilstein suspension is so good on-road and off-road.
4. Duratrak tires and 18" wheels. I can drive in mud, snow and over rocks with confidence.
5. I like the looks of Rebel. Red exterior plus black+red interior. It looks different from all other 5th gen 1500s. More unique -> better holds its value over time.

Do I miss reclining rear seats and ventilated seats? Not really. Would I miss all mentioned above in Laramie, assuming that they are priced the same? Yes.

I live in Seattle, where we don't have a lot of heat, I drive on unpaved roads a lot to hiking destinations, plus snow in the mountains every winter. I think the price for Rebel is a bargain comparing to alternatives where you need to spend a lot to convert FX4, TRD Pro or Trailboss into a real off-road rig.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
And for those who think "but Laramie is better in the city":
1. You can't have curb rush on Rebel rims. Rubber sticks like half an inch. You scratch the tire, not the rim.
2. Duratracs are pretty quiet on the highway.
3. Steel bumpers, again! If somebody bumps you on a street parking - the damage is on their side.

70runner

Reaction score
As to tire road noise, first trip with my Rebel was a 1200mi drive from the dealer (Auburn WA) to SOCAL. The Rebel was quieter, conspicuously so, than my 2014 Tundra 1794 which in itself was very quiet. I can hear the diesel during acceleration, but at cruising speeds there is no tire noise. I'm very impressed with the Rebel ride, comfort, quiet...and, of course, 25mpg around town. As above,
1. I love the red/black 2 tone with burgundy accent leather interior
2. Level 2 pkg includes passive entry
3. Aggressive grille design
4. Metal bumpers

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why I chose Rebel over Laramie with Off-road package:
1. Steel bumpers and bash plate. That's a huge deal for off-roading, plus no problems if you scratch the bumper - it is fixed with a sand paper.
2. Stronger transfer case (mine doesn't have 4x4 Auto option)
3. Bilstein suspension is so good on-road and off-road.
4. Duratrak tires and 18" wheels. I can drive in mud, snow and over rocks with confidence.
5. I like the looks of Rebel. Red exterior plus black+red interior. It looks different from all other 5th gen 1500s. More unique -> better holds its value over time.

Do I miss reclining rear seats and ventilated seats? Not really. Would I miss all mentioned above in Laramie, assuming that they are priced the same? Yes.

I live in Seattle, where we don't have a lot of heat, I drive on unpaved roads a lot to hiking destinations, plus snow in the mountains every winter. I think the price for Rebel is a bargain comparing to alternatives where you need to spend a lot to convert FX4, TRD Pro or Trailboss into a real off-road rig.
Are you saying the Laramie bumpers aren't steel?

Do you have any data to back up your statement about a Rebel holding it's value better? More unique usually means a smaller audience.

The stock wheels and tires blow, so that point is moot. 😉

I have buddies that have FX4's, Trail Boss, and TRD Pro's and they are every bit as capable off-road in stock form as the Rebel.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
idk bout you guys but my rebel came with 4x4 auto hi and low and 2wd

but i chose rebel because of all the stuff it came with but ended up changing alot of it anyway i think all i really kept was rebel interior blk and red … with leds it comes with

Attachments

• 0D8ECA2E-96BC-416F-9C8E-FEC7A20DC5E5.jpeg
    0D8ECA2E-96BC-416F-9C8E-FEC7A20DC5E5.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 59

ALT_F13

Reaction score

Do you have any data to back up your statement about a Rebel holding it's value better? More unique usually means a smaller audience.

I have buddies that have FX4's, Trail Boss, and TRD Pro's and they are every bit as capable off-road in stock form as the Rebel.
I don't know if Laramie's bumpers are steel or plastic, but they come either chrome coated or painted (black or body color). Either way they scratch pretty easily, like any other bumper of a regular car. Try to scratch Rebel's bumper and you will see what I'm talking about ;)

Regarding value of Rebel vs other 1500s - it all depends on the region. in Washington, Oregon, Utah or Colorado there is a crazy demand for off-road trucks, at least right now.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
idk bout you guys but my rebel came with 4x4 auto hi and low and 2wd

but i chose rebel because of all the stuff it came with but ended up changing alot of it anyway i think all i really kept was rebel interior blk and red … with leds it comes with
It means that you have a transfer case similar to Laramie/Limited. That wasn't an option until 2021 for Rebel and they all came with heavy-duty transfer cases without 4x4 auto. I don't want to say that 4x4 auto transfer case is bad, but it is just way more complex than a basic transfer case in Rebel/Tradesman. I assume keeping things simple was a reason why Rebels came only with simple (but proven) manual transfer cases and no projectors in headlights.

Jbenevides89

Reaction score

Maybe the tires that came on the older rebels blew, but the 19s+ with the goodyears do just fine, especially coming with them from the factory. I blow through stuff in 2w that my friends in a FX4 and a wrangler with BFGs need 4x to get through. Are they the best? nah there are much better out there for serious off road, but for a truck that lives mostly on pavement they do the job when you need them. Anyone who needs more tire will likely be modding the truck out regardless of what they get

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
I had a similar dilemma and ultimately went with the Rebel after getting a lot of feedback on this forum. My wife hated the suede trim that was on the Laramie leather, I mean hated it. I didn't like that I couldn't get 18" wheels on the Laramie with the ORG package. I also liked having the Bilstein shocks over the Hitachis. Only thing I might miss from the Laramie is the ventilated seats, but honestly I had them on my last truck and never really felt like they made a difference.

Someone talked about road noise in the Rebel. I drive 25 miles all highway one way to work and this truck is far more quiet than I would've ever imagined. I feel like I'm in a luxury car that I can take offroad. It's awesome.
Road noise is negligible, for sure. Duratracs are pretty darn good, and there seemed to be a good amount of noise insulation.

Last edited:

robertsws

Reaction score
It means that you have a transfer case similar to Laramie/Limited. That wasn't an option until 2021 for Rebel and they all came with heavy-duty transfer cases without 4x4 auto. I don't want to say that 4x4 auto transfer case is bad, but it is just way more complex than a basic transfer case in Rebel/Tradesman. I assume keeping things simple was a reason why Rebels came only with simple (but proven) manual transfer cases and no projectors in headlights.
That's not accurate. I have a 2020 with 4wd auto.

robertsws

Reaction score
I don't know if Laramie's bumpers are steel or plastic, but they come either chrome coated or painted (black or body color). Either way they scratch pretty easily, like any other bumper of a regular car. Try to scratch Rebel's bumper and you will see what I'm talking about ;)

Regarding value of Rebel vs other 1500s - it all depends on the region. in Washington, Oregon, Utah or Colorado there is a crazy demand for off-road trucks, at least right now.
I don't like the rear bumper on my rebel. I plan on going aftermarket. I just bent my rear bumper turning around while offroad by hitting it against a dirt berm, (I was backing up). The passenger side that wraps around the side was sticking out three inches from the body. I was only going about 2 mph I would add. It is really cheaply made as I was able to simply push on it to close up the gap, now sticks out about an inch from factory. While it is metal, (I have a bumper magnet on it) it is really thin.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't like the rear bumper on my rebel. I plan on going aftermarket. I just bent my rear bumper turning around while offroad by hitting it against a dirt berm, (I was backing up). The passenger side that wraps around the side was sticking out three inches from the body. I was only going about 2 mph I would add. It is really cheaply made as I was able to simply push on it to close up the gap, now sticks out about an inch from factory. While it is metal, (I have a bumper magnet on it) it is really thin.
IDK... I think the rear bumper "strength" depends as much on how it's hit vs. speed it's hit. My wife was driving our Rebel this winter when she was rear ended by a 2000-ish Silverado at a stop light. Roads were slick after a snow storm and the driver admittedly was paying much attention. Gave her a real good "bump" that caved in the front of the Silverado pretty good. My wife didn't really notice any damage to our truck, and only I can spot it now... the bumper is slightly misaligned.

I think it's the design intent of the bumper that leaves you disappointed. They aren't for offroading and getting pushed into trees, stumps, rocks and berms IMO, but for absorbing impacts from vehicles to the point they become sacrificial parts.

PS - as mentioned in someone else's post, the black powder coated paint didn't even get scratched FWIW

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to weigh in further on the debate... I went back and forth between the Laramie and Rebel quite a bit. Driving both back to back, etc. The Laramie felt like the more "responsible dad" truck to get while the 10-year-old boy in me ached for the Rebel. Ultimately, it came down to what was available at the time and the best deal I could get... that was the Rebel. Looking back I have zero regrets with my decision, but I know I would have been just as happy in a Laramie.

On paper, the Laramie as a few more niceties and probably gets slightly better gas mileage on the highway... the Rebel has a better look (subjective), arguably slightly better off-road chops, and the exterior might take a little more abuse. (i.e. the wheel well moldings are just black plastic instead of body color painted making it cheaper and easier if you have to replace one)

With that said, you are really splitting hairs.

robertsws

Reaction score
IDK... I think the rear bumper "strength" depends as much on how it's hit vs. speed it's hit. My wife was driving our Rebel this winter when she was rear ended by a 2000-ish Silverado at a stop light. Roads were slick after a snow storm and the driver admittedly was paying much attention. Gave her a real good "bump" that caved in the front of the Silverado pretty good. My wife didn't really notice any damage to our truck, and only I can spot it now... the bumper is slightly misaligned.

I think it's the design intent of the bumper that leaves you disappointed. They aren't for offroading and getting pushed into trees, stumps, rocks and berms IMO, but for absorbing impacts from vehicles to the point they become sacrificial parts.

PS - as mentioned in someone else's post, the black powder coated paint didn't even get scratched FWIW
As I mentioned, I was only going about 2 mph while backing up. I think it has more to do with the angle of the pressure than anything. It was right at the curve. That being said, there are no scratches. But it was just dirt.

Keep in mind that a squared off hit to the rear bumper has the hitch as added strength.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I mentioned, I was only going about 2 mph while backing up. I think it has more to do with the angle of the pressure than anything. It was right at the curve. That being said, there are no scratches. But it was just dirt.

Keep in mind that a squared off hit to the rear bumper has the hitch as added strength.
someone backed i to my bumper maybe about 2/4 mph and screwed the alignment up it seems corners are easy to bend out of alignment

TSL

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether fuel efficiency would vary noticeably between Laramie with Off road Group and Rebel ? Perhaps those heavier tires on the Rebel would have some impact ? I'm in a similar position to the OP on this thread, can't make my mind up between the two ! Have quotes from Mark Dodge that have the Rebel only about $1500 more than the Laramie.
My use of the truck would be 80% on-road but I do go hiking and camping and definitely go off pavement, however mostly on gravel logging / fire roads in the forests ( I'm in the Pacific NorthWest). Today I drive an '07 Subaru Outback with Falken Wildpeak tires and it is quite capable off road. There are definitely some roads in the forest though that are beyond it, with large rocks and wash-outs etc. I'm suspecting the Laramie with OffRoad Package would probably get me everywhere I want to go. If there might be several mpg of fuel economy between them, that would probably be a deciding factor !
Also, I do expect to tow at some point, probably a travel trailer in the 3,500 to 4,000 lb range. Was thinking of putting either 3.55 or 3.92 rear axle on a Laramie build to give it a little better towing capability, although that will hurt fuel economy too, right ? Was surprised some-one noted in the thread here that Laramie might actually have less payload than Rebel, would have thought the heavier tires and suspension would reduce the Rebel's payload. Perhaps for towing a travel trailer in the range I'm suggesting I don't need to worry too much ?
I do wish there was an online calculator where one could plug in options and packages for a truck and see their impact on payload !

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether fuel efficiency would vary noticeably between Laramie with Off road Group and Rebel ? Perhaps those heavier tires on the Rebel would have some impact ? I'm in a similar position to the OP on this thread, can't make my mind up between the two ! Have quotes from Mark Dodge that have the Rebel only about $1500 more than the Laramie.
My use of the truck would be 80% on-road but I do go hiking and camping and definitely go off pavement, however mostly on gravel logging / fire roads in the forests ( I'm in the Pacific NorthWest). Today I drive an '07 Subaru Outback with Falken Wildpeak tires and it is quite capable off road. There are definitely some roads in the forest though that are beyond it, with large rocks and wash-outs etc. I'm suspecting the Laramie with OffRoad Package would probably get me everywhere I want to go. If there might be several mpg of fuel economy between them, that would probably be a deciding factor !
Also, I do expect to tow at some point, probably a travel trailer in the 3,500 to 4,000 lb range. Was thinking of putting either 3.55 or 3.92 rear axle on a Laramie build to give it a little better towing capability, although that will hurt fuel economy too, right ? Was surprised some-one noted in the thread here that Laramie might actually have less payload than Rebel, would have thought the heavier tires and suspension would reduce the Rebel's payload. Perhaps for towing a travel trailer in the range I'm suggesting I don't need to worry too much ?
I do wish there was an online calculator where one could plug in options and packages for a truck and see their impact on payload !
The bigger/heavier tires on the Rebel will have a negative effect on mpg's compared to the 32's on the Laramie. You're probably looking at a 1-2 mpg hit. The ORG will not affect your mileage. The Laramie comes with 3.21 or 3.92 gear ratios. 3.92 will be better for towing, but it will hurt your mpg's on the highway compared to the 3.21's. The overall difference in mpg's between 3.21's and 3.92's will be more noticeable if you spend more time on the highway, especially at speeds above 75 mph. In the city, the difference is insignificant.

Nick57

Reaction score
I have a 21 Laramie with the ORG, 3.92 gears, air ride and 35's. Before I put the 35's on it I was getting around 18-19mpg I now get around 15-17. If you get it with the ORG AND air ride it's the same suspension as the Rebel with air ride. How ever the Rebel's non air ride is different then the non air ride ORG on the other trims. :) I tow a lot and do take mine off the beaten path on the occasion I do not regret how i had mine built. The biggest advantage the rebel has on mine is the clearance of the different front bumper. I personally prefer the exterior and interior of the Laramie over all the other trims which is why I bought it.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll probably get a little less MPG with the Rebel but it will be tough to quantify. The Rebel has more aggressive tires and is less aerodynamic so there will be some loss there, but where you drive, how you drive, how much highway vs city driving etc. will have a bigger impact IMO than trim level.

Payload and towing will depend more on options and the rear axle ratio than anything else. My Rebel can tow over 11,000 and has a payload of 1,499 pounds. A Laramie, fully loaded with a 3.21 rear end will have substantially less in both categories... but a less optioned Laramie with a 3.92 rear end will be similar to mine.

I think it really comes down to what kind of deal can you get for either truck, and which truck "speaks to you" more.

TSL

Reaction score
You'll probably get a little less MPG with the Rebel but it will be tough to quantify. The Rebel has more aggressive tires and is less aerodynamic so there will be some loss there, but where you drive, how you drive, how much highway vs city driving etc. will have a bigger impact IMO than trim level.

Payload and towing will depend more on options and the rear axle ratio than anything else. My Rebel can tow over 11,000 and has a payload of 1,499 pounds. A Laramie, fully loaded with a 3.21 rear end will have substantially less in both categories... but a less optioned Laramie with a 3.92 rear end will be similar to mine.

I think it really comes down to what kind of deal can you get for either truck, and which truck "speaks to you" more.
Would you say this would fall into the "fully loaded" category for Laramie : 5.7 Hemi/eTorque, 33gal tank, Bed Utility Grp, Level A Eqp Grp, Off Road Grp, Wheel-to-wheel side steps, Rubber floor mats, trailer brake controller, 5 passenger seating ( meaning front center console vs bench seat in front )

Users who are viewing this thread