5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package vs. DIY

rzims

Reaction score
I really liked the Rebel, but my offroading is usually just forest roads. I wanted a nice truck that we could go out in as well as could do what I wanted it to do up at the ranch in the hills. We have several miles of gravel road to get there and in the winter, I definitely need 4wd. Plus we do spend quite a bit of time in Tahoe in the winter.
I love the interior and the comfort features make traveling nice for the wife and I.
Added a leveling kit and some real tires and couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• done1.jpg
    done1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 120

southernyoop

Reaction score
I really liked the Rebel, but my offroading is usually just forest roads. I wanted a nice truck that we could go out in as well as could do what I wanted it to do up at the ranch in the hills. We have several miles of gravel road to get there and in the winter, I definitely need 4wd. Plus we do spend quite a bit of time in Tahoe in the winter.
I love the interior and the comfort features make traveling nice for the wife and I.
Added a leveling kit and some real tires and couldn't be happier.
Thanks for the reply and awesome looking truck.

southernyoop

Reaction score
I also like the look of the Rebel, I even had a first Gen rebel in 2013. I decided to go this time with the 2020 LAR/ORP Night Edition what ultimately won out was a little cheaper after the deal then the Rebel, the Rebels they had all had the graphics packages (not a big fan of) and the Red interior (it's nice but not my taste - they did not have a Rebel Black). and lastly, the few extra creatures comforts inside, 19 speakers, full leather, ventilated states, Auto 4WD. Also for what .5% of off-roading I will do.
View attachment 63522
Awesome looking ride. Thanks for the reply.

nburd

Reaction score
I went with a 20 Big Horn Night Crew with off road package (Electronic locker) and 3.92’s. It has everything I wanted (level 2) and was under $45k with OEM steps, tonneau and the 9 speaker alpine system. I also wanted Auto 4WD as I am in Maine and will use that all winter. It is missing a few handy times, like fobless keyless entry, but that’s the only thing I would like to have. I can add Katzskin leather for $570. I may, but I love the comfort of the cloth seats so those may wait a while. I also added rear wheel well liners. For the value, I think it was a great buy. The off road package is well worth it’s small cost, $795 ( elocker, all skid plates, tow hooks, hill decent, 1” lift (Unbranded off road shocks) and all terrain tires). The ride is very smooth. I also have to look at my sons 20 Warlock every day and 1 mustache in the driveway is enough. I am very impressed with the paint quality over my 2013. No defects found yet. 59D903EB-F0A8-4588-B790-3FDEBC64EF4E.jpeg AD439CC2-E679-4CD9-9B62-AFB582891D1D.jpeg

Last edited:

southernyoop

Reaction score
I went with a 20 Big Horn Night Crew with off road package (Electronic locker) and 3.92’s. It has everything I wanted (level 2) and was under $45k with OEM steps, tonneau and the 9 speaker alpine system. I also wanted Auto 4WD as I am in Maine and will use that all winter. It is missing a few handy times, like fobless keyless entry, but that’s the only thing I would like to have. I can add Katzskin leather for $570. I may, but I love the comfort of the cloth seats so those may wait a while. I also added rear wheel well liners. For the value, I think it was a great buy. The off road package is well worth it’s small cost, $795 ( elocker, all skid plates, tow hooks, hill decent, 1” lift (Unbranded off road shocks) and all terrain tires). The ride is very smooth. I also have to look at my sons 20 Warlock every day and 1 mustache in the driveway is enough. I am very impressed with the paint quality over my 2013. No defects found yet. View attachment 63909 View attachment 63910
Great looking truck. Thanks for your reply!

Yogi217

Reaction score
I'm going the DIY route. Had trouble finding a rig with the ORG and all the other options I wanted. I also wanted a limited slip vs the e locker.

It would be cheaper to get the org vs my route, but i wanted the limited slip.... plus i am happy with the other options (led, blind spot, bed group, tonneau cover, 9 speakers with sub, side steps, night edition, etc).

I'm going to add skids from mopar and after market. I don't have the name of the company that makes it.

I'm going to at 275/60r20 wildpeaks at some point, so slightly taller than ORGs.

I may, not sure yet order the org shocks and springs or i may do the bilstien 5100 level, but only go up like .5 or 1 inch to keep some rake. Or i may go the teraflex route. I loved their stuff on jeeps. Or i may stay stock height....
78136e767ef1e351bd5b6a87d256d9db.jpg
5e0359f228d132aa0b0b02f5d1dfa528.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

hsandhu85

Reaction score
I;m going the DIY route with my 2020 Laramie Night Edition. I wanted all the creature comforts, the summer can get in the 100s and ventilated seats were a must. I love the 4WD Auto, drove it in a snow storm in Lake Tahoe with my family and felt very safe. Out here most of my driving is stop n go and pavement road. I do go up to the mountains here in the sierra nevedas, mostly gravel dirt roads. I ended up doing the lift from Mopar and put on 33 inch toyo open country AT3 tires. I will eventually put the skid plates from Mopar too.

Attachments

• 20200730_195420.jpg
    20200730_195420.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200730_195446.jpg
    20200730_195446.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 105

MetalDog

Reaction score
Great looking setup! Lots of work you did and it turned out nicely.
What are your thoughts on the MFT split gate so far?

I like it, but my daughters really like it. It enables them to reach into the bed of the truck much easier than if the rear tailgate was down. The Limited I got came with everything. If I could do over again, I would have found a way to not get the electric sidesteps as I want sliders from White Knuckle.

Rambox is badass though! Though it does restrict what type of bed cover you can get in the future.

IMG_3616.jpeg

1Zach1

Reaction score
Limited, 34.3 tires on Rebels with off road package.
Awesome set up, I have some questions if you don't mind.

Is that the Dethloff Contour rack? They don't list it as working with the 5th Gen Rams so it's good to see it out there.
It appears to have a tonneau of some type, do you mind speaking about it and if it works with the rack?
Also awesome to see a Ram with an iKamper RTT, I was planning on going with the Skycamp 2.0 but with it being almost a foot longer than the X-Cover I might need to find a solution to put it up higher so it can overhang the cab some.

Still unsure if I should go with 3.21 vs 3.92 since this will be a daily driver 95% of the time.

Thanks,

Zach

MetalDog

Reaction score
Awesome set up, I have some questions if you don't mind.

Is that the Dethloff Contour rack? They don't list it as working with the 5th Gen Rams so it's good to see it out there.
It appears to have a tonneau of some type, do you mind speaking about it and if it works with the rack?
Also awesome to see a Ram with an iKamper RTT, I was planning on going with the Skycamp 2.0 but with it being almost a foot longer than the X-Cover I might need to find a solution to put it up higher so it can overhang the cab some.

Still unsure if I should go with 3.21 vs 3.92 since this will be a daily driver 95% of the time.

Thanks,

Zach

Yup, it is the Dethloff rack. I live in the same city as them and he personally did the install. I'm very particular about my gear and I can tell you that this rack is bombproof. The cover is a Retrax Pro MX, aluminum series. I picked the IKamper X-Cover because it doesn't stick 20 inches off the back of the bed with a 5'7 bed. Dethloff is who also did the custom mounting plate for my twin ARB air compressor in the Rambox.

IMG_3320.jpeg

southernyoop

Reaction score
I like it, but my daughters really like it. It enables them to reach into the bed of the truck much easier than if the rear tailgate was down. The Limited I got came with everything. If I could do over again, I would have found a way to not get the electric sidesteps as I want sliders from White Knuckle.

Rambox is badass though! Though it does restrict what type of bed cover you can get in the future.

View attachment 64001
Awesome set up!

orange01z28

Reaction score
What's the average a used set of Rebel rims and tires sells?

When I do the upgraded on my Rebel next month I'm still trying to decide whether to go stock rims + spacers or get new wheels all together

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When I do the upgraded on my Rebel next month I'm still trying to decide whether to go stock rims + spacers or get new wheels all together

I bought my Rebel tires / wheels with about 30k miles for $325 and sold my Laramie ORP wheels with about 2k miles for $1000. I’ll probably need new tires in a year or so, but that $675 will go a long ways towards that upgrade.

I’m sure I was very fortunate in finding the deal. I think a like new set of Rebel wheels/tires will go for around $1000.

antwon412

Reaction score

Not sure where you are, but I have a set of Rebel wheels for sale. Took them off at 1500 miles.

orange01z28

Reaction score
Not sure where you are, but I have a set of Rebel wheels for sale. Took them off at 1500 miles.
I already have them, I'm just thinking of whether it will be worth it to sell them or not.

I'm pretty sure I like them more than any aftermarket rims but I'm going to need spacers with the tire size I"ll be going with

Users who are viewing this thread