5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel vs. Off Road Package vs. DIY

Reaction score
The eLocker is wonderful, but I cannot get the hill descent to work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 4Lo and and the locker has worked for me, but I haven't figured out the *trick* yet. Does it have to be in park first?
Did you ever get yours to work? I have followed the manual exactly and can’t even get the HDC button LED to illuminate or for the icon to come on on the dash cluster. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual:

View attachment 63093

View attachment 63094

View attachment 63095

This is from the Owner's Manual (20MB free download on-line), not the User's Guide that comes in your glove box when you buy the truck (which makes no mention about Hill Descent Control).
I have followed the manual exactly, but cannot get my HDC to work. Neither the button LED nor the instrument cluster icon turn on. Nothing happens. In 4Lo, going less than 5. On a grade. Not sure what else I’m supposed to be doing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever get yours to work? I have followed the manual exactly and can’t even get the HDC button LED to illuminate or for the icon to come on on the dash cluster. What am I doing wrong?
I do not have the Hill Descent. But I have a good idea of how it works.

Are you in 4low?

Are you selecting a gear with the manual gear selector?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have followed the manual exactly, but cannot get my HDC to work. Neither the button LED nor the instrument cluster icon turn on. Nothing happens. In 4Lo, going less than 5. On a grade. Not sure what else I’m supposed to be doing.
I see you were in 4low. Select a gear using the manual gear selector.

Each gear has a different top speed. And 5mph is about the highest it will go.

Reaction score
I do not have the Hill Descent. But I have a good idea of how it works.

Are you in 4low?

Are you selecting a gear with the manual gear selector?
I am in 4low. I have selected a gear. It slows the truck down with engine braking. But the HDC button still doesn’t illuminate. It’s like it’s not on.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed the light isnt coming on.

Hmm.

You are to push the button. Shift to 4low. Proceed down a hill steep enough for it to trigger. Use manual gear selector to select top speed.

D and R are .6mph

8th is 5 mph.

Is your hill steep enough?

Reaction score
I just noticed the light isnt coming on.

Hmm.

You are to push the button. Shift to 4low. Proceed down a hill steep enough for it to trigger. Use manual gear selector to select top speed.

D and R are .6mph

8th is 5 mph.

Is your hill steep enough?
I think so. 8-10 deg grade down a longish driveway.

Stomachdoc

Reaction score
I think so. 8-10 deg grade down a longish driveway.
I’m having the same problem as “Frozen.” In 4-LOW, pushing the HDC button, no light on either the button or in the instrument cluster. I have a JL Wrangler with essentially the same system and it activates and works as described on my very steep (14% grade) driveway.

Bcryan

Reaction score
I ended up with the crew cab 6’4” bed North Edition and love it. Small lift, decent tires vs stock and to many options to list. I like the rims that came with this package and they did not come with the limited .Living in upstate NY and being an avid outdoorsman simple things like the all weather floor mats, wheel well covers bed step and remote start make life easier. I get a lot of compliments on this truck when I keep it clean to lol

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem as “Frozen.” In 4-LOW, pushing the HDC button, no light on either the button or in the instrument cluster. I have a JL Wrangler with essentially the same system and it activates and works as described on my very steep (14% grade) driveway.

I finally ended up calling the dealer. I have a service appointment tomorrow. Lady on the phone didn’t know what HDC was....

There’s another person on here that also seems to be having the same problem. Said his dealer told him he needs a new button. I wonder if this is widespread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I finally ended up calling the dealer. I have a service appointment tomorrow. Lady on the phone didn’t know what HDC was....

There’s another person on here that also seems to be having the same problem. Said his dealer told him he needs a new button. I wonder if this is widespread...

It was widespread on the HeavyDuty in 2017.
I sure hope they fix it. Good luck

Reaction score
It was widespread on the HeavyDuty in 2017.
I sure hope they fix it. Good luck

Took it to the dealer. Service department doesn’t know what’s wrong. Can’t get it to work either. They reached out to STAR, who told the service department to read the owner’s manual. I have a feeling this is going to be a long, drawn-out issue....

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer. Service department doesn’t know what’s wrong. Can’t get it to work either. They reached out to STAR, who told the service department to read the owner’s manual. I have a feeling this is going to be a long, drawn-out issue....

That sure sucks. Then they wonder why people get angry. It sucks that they really do not know their product. As the one dealer didn't even know what it was

traveller09

Reaction score
Limited, 34.3 tires on Rebels with off road package. View attachment 63990 View attachment 63991 View attachment 63992
Love your setup I have been considering a similar path. I was leaning towards the Rebel I but I like the luxury of the Limited but with a beefer setup. Did you go with the Air Suspension or maybe that wasnt selectable in 2020? If so how does the suspension work for your adventures? Also what gear ration do you have?

traveller09

Reaction score
My take is this. The Off Road Group is what RAM has needed for a long time.

The REBEL is a factory custom truck like The Adult Toys by Dodge from the 70s. It has different looks and a different style. It gives you a slightly more capable truck right off the factory floor.

It comes with the proper transfer case for off roading. If you are going off pavement more than a few tines a year...a Tradesman with ORG or REBEL are the trim you want. They are the only 2 trims to get the 48-12 part time transfer case.

If you get the other trims with the ORG you get the 48-11 with the 4wd auto. That is great for on road inclement weather...but as a few here have found out...not so good for off road.

Starting with the ORG is a good idea for what comes standard that isnt easily added latter.

Hill Descent Control is valuable once you learn how to use it. Off road the eLocker will also pay for itself.

If you are going to lift the truck and add your own flare too it...any of the trims are a good choice.

You can get the eLocker as a stand alone option aswell.

The selling point for ORG on other trims is you can get the 3.21 if you like.

Of course, soon the TRX will be out. Can not wait to see the trickle down for all RAM 1500 trims.

You bring up so many items I have been wondering about and pointing me to any links with more details would helpful:

Different transfer cases between models? I have wondered if there were any difference in the base platform besides wheels, tires, shocks and springs on the different trim levels. sounds like the transfer case is beefer on the Rebel?

I had never considered 4wd Auto. What are the disadvantages?

Is the 3.21 preferred for more of an off road setup?

Any insight would be much appreciated. One of the advantages/disadvantages of RAM is all the selectable options/features.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the 3.21 preferred for more of an off road setup?

3.92 would be the preferred gear ratio for off road.

I had never considered 4wd Auto. What are the disadvantages?

The disadvantages only show themselves in heavy off road conditions. Otherwise it is a great on road transfer case.

Different transfer cases between models? I have wondered if there were any difference in the base platform besides wheels, tires, shocks and springs on the different trim levels. sounds like the transfer case is beefer on the Rebel

The Rebel is now available with both transfer cases. I would still choose the part time...but plenty wanted the auto and RAM responded.
The part time is the only transfer case available on the Tradesman. The auto the only one available on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited.
The Rebel ias the only trim to get the choice.

There are many things that separate the trims.

We have plenty of threads here about the transfer case options and gear options. At some point they are all end user opinions. Each person has something important to them.

You can ask more specific questions and I will try to answer them without an opinion. LOL

traveller09

Reaction score
3.92 would be the preferred gear ratio for off road.

The disadvantages only show themselves in heavy off road conditions. Otherwise it is a great on road transfer case.

The Rebel is now available with both transfer cases. I would still choose the part time...but plenty wanted the auto and RAM responded.
The part time is the only transfer case available on the Tradesman. The auto the only one available on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited.
The Rebel ias the only trim to get the choice.

There are many things that separate the trims.

We have plenty of threads here about the transfer case options and gear options. At some point they are all end user opinions. Each person has something important to them.

You can ask more specific questions and I will try to answer them without an opinion. LOL
Many thanks! I really appreciate your thoughts. I assume Devildodge is a play on Devil Dog? If so, SemperFi!

DevinB

Reaction score
The Rebel is, in my opinion, the best looking truck. A close 2nd is a Laramie or Limited trip with the Night Edition and the Off-Road Group. If I were going for looks alone, and especially if I did regular off-roading, I'd go with the Rebel. But...

I will only do occasional/light off-roading and also will spend a good deal of time on the highway at 70+ MPH. Since you can't get the Rebel with the slightly more economical (at least at highway speeds) 3.21 gearing, I decided to go with either a Laramie or Limited with the Off-Road Group.

Also keep in mind that the Rebel has heaver/bigger LT (light truck) rated tires vs 'normal' P/passenger tires like the Laramie and Limited have. LT tires are beefier and heavier and better for towing, hauling, and off-roading, but they also are noisier on the interstate a make you a little slower off-the-line because the tires are usually larger (diameter) and heavier.

Having said that, I rented a 2020 Rebel from a local AVIS, and it rode better and quieter on the interstate than my sedan...just an awesome truck, really, for what it is. Then I test drove a Laramie (with no Air Suspension) with a 3.21 and it was even quieter, with 300 to 400 rpm lower at highway speeds in its extra gear and rode slightly better. So it'll be a Laramie or Limited for me. About ready to pull the trigger on an order.

Users who are viewing this thread